Author Topic: 1871 Huntingdon - John Murden  (Read 2366 times)

Offline celticgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1871 Huntingdon - John Murden
« on: Friday 15 April 05 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Pease could someone look up the Murden family for me?  John Murden would have been 21, and I'm not sure if he was married at that time.

On the 1881 census, he is married to Clara and living in Middlesex, and is a coach painter.

Thanks.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Huntingdon - John Murden
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 05 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, Can't find him in 1871 census

- however based on oldest child Agnes being born in 1874, I found a possible marriage of JM to a Clara GARDNER in March 1873 in Marylebone index entry 1a 797

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline celticgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 05 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  Will look into it. 

Was there an entry in the 1871 cenus for Clara Gardner?  She would have been about 24/25 yrs and was born in Finsbury Park?

Kind regards

Offline Rsavage83

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 20:29 GMT (UK) »
I believe John Murden married Clara Gardner in 1873. Clara was the sister of my great great grandfather, Walter Gardner, who was a witness at the marriage. All of Clara's children are named after her siblings, most notably Emma Agnes who was her sister, born 1841, died 1871. Clara's father was William Gardner, not John William Gardner as stated on marriage- he died 1853 in Chichester and was an innkeeper. The family were Romany gypsies - a tale told by my grandfather (Walter's grandson) yet this was only proved with more research as we never believed him! They travelled between Chichester and Finsbury and their children were born in these two places. Clara's mother was called Sarah Agnes and you can find them living in Brighton in 1871 as she'll basket makers. My g-g-grandfather Walter and another sibling called Henry also resided here and were horse grooms. Clara and Walter then must have travelled to London, Walter becoming a professional photographer - he changed his name to Walter Blink Gardner and if you google him many articles will appear. Little is known of What happened to Henry. Walter Blink Gardner was also a very popular entertainer, and I have many newspaper articles about him! If you'd like to know don't hesitate to ask, regards Rachel

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 16 07:35 GMT (UK) »
1871 Census of Brighton Sussex, address 8 High Street Brighton
Agnes Gardner 56 widow dress maker
Clara  daughter 26 dress maker
Blanche Colater/Cobeter grandchild age7
All born Chichester Sussex