Author Topic: John Ruddell 1849 - 1953 - Portadown area  (Read 8772 times)

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
  • I came from over the sea ...
    • View Profile
John Ruddell 1849 - 1953 - Portadown area
« on: Wednesday 12 January 11 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

I have a Ruddell from the Portadown area who I am trying to find out more about. I have just started working on my husband's family tree and I know that his maternal gt-grandfather was John Ruddell who died in 1953 in Tirmacrannon, Loughgall, at the age of 105. According to his obituary, he was born in Ballinteggart in 1849 and was the eldest of a family of 8 (I do not know any of his siblings' names). He was living with his son, John Joseph Ruddell when he died. My husband would love to hear anything people can tell about John Ruddell, or to receive any information about this branch of the Ruddell family that people can share. We'd love to know more of the family story!

For now,
OzJen (Sydney)
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Ruddell 1849 - 1953 - Portadown area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I can find a John Joseph Ruddell born on 5 Jun 1872 to John Ruddell nd Mary Wilson in Tartaraghan, Lurgan..

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you done any Irish research yet? If not, take a look through Introduction to Irish Records.

Start with the 1901 and 1911 census records- you may find that John Ruddell's age is slightly different than you expect which is not uncommon:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the warning on the Irish research, aghadowey. We've already noticed that his age on the 1901 and  1911 census documents makes him 10 years younger than he would have been if the 104 years at death was correct. Interesting that this is not uncommon ...  ???

Thanks for the answer, too, kingskerswell; we believe he married a lady named Elizabeth Alexander, perhaps in 1897, or thereabouts.

For now,
OzJen
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Jen,
      You are spot on with the marriage. It took place in Loughgall Presbyterian Church, Armagh on 25 Mar 1897.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Good news. Many thanks, kingskerswell!  :)

For now,
OzJen

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Might be related some where down the line;

Cairns Post;29th June 1943

The death has occured at the General Hospital, Brisbane, of Mr. Richard
Ruddell. The late Mr. Ruddell was divisional inspector for  the state
insuance office at Cairns for many years, and also attached to office staff
invarious parts of the state.
Deceased in Lurgan County of Armagh Northern Ireland 72 years ago.
He is survived by his widow, who resides Albion Brisbane , 3 years.
sons, Richard, George and Thomas and daughters, Mrs M Griffith??
Mrs.G.T.Young, Mrs R.W.Calt and Mrs. H.N Whittaker.

Jack

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

I will Pm you an email address of a fellow researching the Ruddells of Ballinteggart.   

Also check out this link to the Proni wills...it has some images of wills but not all.  Some Ruddells listed in same and nearby Townlands.

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearchResults.aspx

also these snippets...

http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Armagh/1845/18450603.html

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.metcalfe/130/mb.ashx

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/NIR-ARMAGH/2001-10/1002025890

http://www.portadowndistrictlolno1.co.uk/LOL172.htm

Hope at least some of this helps,
Aljepeka

HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 March 11 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I have Ruddell's from Ballinteggart... they went by the name Ruddell Todd. I have siblings Sophia born c1780, James born 1783 (became a London MP and Director of the South Australian Company), Jane c1779, Charles and David. James had lands at Ballinteggart, the story is that he inherited them from his Uncle Charles Todd (?). Anyway, if you think this might be a connection to yours I'd be glad to hear from you, my Irish research is getting nowhere as it is so far back before records are available.
Kells.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.