Author Topic: Intrigued by a headstone  (Read 849 times)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Intrigued by a headstone
« on: Friday 15 April 05 22:13 BST (UK) »
On a recent tramp through a cemetery I came across my cousin's grave (I never knew him).  I was intrigued because the headstone said  'killed'  rather than the usual  'died'

I sent off for the death cert and it appeared that my cousin had died at the age of 7 by being knocked down by a car, happens quite a lot nowadays but this was in 1929.  So today I've been looking at old newspapers and found the report of the accident and the report from the inquest.  Apparently him and his 5 year old brother where on their way to school when they spotted their father (my uncle) working on the other side of the road, they ran across the road without looking.... the eldest child died in his father's arms.

So though I've had a successful days researching I feel quite sad :'(

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Intrigued by a headstone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 05 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Bee,
     My farther told me about his aunty who was killed by a tram. When I finally looked into this story, it turned out she was knocked over by a car in 1922, eight years before my farther was born. I have aquired the coroners report and found a similar sad tale. Appently she had three children all under 10 years old. They all endend up in an orphanage. I am yet to find any trace of these children.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline SusanBuck

• RootsChat Senior
  • grandma Gwen Mattick
    • View Profile
Re: Intrigued by a headstone
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 05 10:33 BST (UK) »
There is some fascinating reading on headstones in cemeteries.
I was in England last year and found a small headstone in Lutterworth, Leics churchyard.

In memory of William Banbury, killed by Robbers upon Over Heath, Nov 25 1676.

I might research the story one day when I retire and write historical novels.

Sue
Researching:
BUCK, BAKEWELL, SMITH, SUTTON, WELLINGTON, WOULDS
Somerset, Devon, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire