Author Topic: Dan (Donald) McDonald of South Uist  (Read 17265 times)

Offline Jesscc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dan (Donald) McDonald of South Uist
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 16:11 BST (UK) »
Just found this site and all these informative posts! I am also interested in the Dan McDonald connection in Cape Breton.

I have some info related to this family, the John McDonald who came to lot 59.
From his family bible --
John McDonald was married to Catherine McInnis by Rev. Alex Munro of Valleyfield, PE.
They had eight children and raised them on the farm that would be designated as one of the Century Farms in PEI. (Farmed by the same family for 100 years -1867-1967)

Their family: Norman born June 9, 1861, Angus Martin born June 5, 1863, Neil born July 21, 1865
James born Feb 24, 1867, Daniel L born March 19, 1869, Jessie Margaret born April 14, 1871 (died March 3, 1864)
Elizabeth Catherine born May 4, 1873, and another daughter also named Jessie Margaret born March 15, 1875.

Norman had a first cousin affectionately called "Cousin Alex". He lived in Cape Breton and made regular visits to his family in PEI. He was a minister.

Offline Jehane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 21:28 BST (UK) »
Great to hear from you.  I know where the family farm is and have seen it. I do remember the sign that was there for the family farm that show it was in the family for over 100 years.   Catherine MacInnis is also a relative on my fathers side.  John McDonald had a brother James and he would be my direct direct decendant on my mother's line.
I would like to learn more about Cousin Dan's family.

Offline Jesscc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 10 May 12 18:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks and a couple of questions. You mention the cemetery in Lower Montague. Have you seen the headstone for John McDonald? Is this the same area where you found the info on Jessie MacAulay? Is there a headstone with any info? or?

Also, do you have any pics of John and his brother(s)? I have a collection of old photos of John's family and there are a few individuals that I can not identify. I would be happy to share.  Thanks.

Offline jmac_86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 02 July 12 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,

I'm a decendant of Angus MacDonald (youngest son of Norman and Jessie). From Angus' son until myself, I have a pretty good idea and history of my family, but not much on Angus and his father's family. This thread has been wonderful so far, so thank you!

I was wondering if any of you know if Norman and Jessie had an affiliation with a particular clan back in Scotland? Also, if any of you have any scans of family portraits or anything at all, I would be extremely interested in seeing them! Thank you very much!

Cheers,
Jesse

Offline jmac_86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 02 July 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry - by clan I mean clan branch, as in MacDonald of Sleat or MacDonald of Clanranald, etc

Offline Jehane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 02 July 12 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hello:

I think that Norman McDonald had North Uist roots and McDonald's from North Uist were connected to the McDonald's of Sleat. The MacDonalds of South Uist and Benbecula are of the house of Clanranald and are a different breed to the MacDonalds ‘of North Uist’ who really belong to Skye, being of the house of Sleat.

Landowners in South Uist liked the work creed of people of North Uist and I expect that's what drew Norman McDonald to work there and he met Jessie MacAulay. 

Angus McDonald's house is still owned by the orginal family and I could get you a picture if you like.

Offline jmac_86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 00:42 BST (UK) »
That would be amazing! Thank you!

I'm hoping to put together a good history of my family in Canada and maybe a little about before they left Scotland - and a picture of Angus' house would be perfect! I believe his son John Norman and his family (including my great grandfather before he moved to British Columbia) lived there with Angus as well, as we have records of him and his siblings living there with "grandpa and grandma".

Thank you once again for the information and your very kind offer!

Offline lot 59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 11 August 12 21:06 BST (UK) »
I would be a grandson of John Norman Mcdonald and live in the home place on the whim road

Offline Jehane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 11 August 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
You found your way here lot 59! Good for you! Do you have some pictures we could scan and send to jmac? Any old pictures of the homestead?