Author Topic: Warner  (Read 18604 times)

Offline swarner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Warner
« on: Sunday 16 January 11 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the family of my gr gr grandfather, Samuel Skinner Warner, who was born in 1822. He left Bantry in 1840, at the age of 18, with his brother, Robert James Warner, and went to Canada. His parents were (possibly) William Warner (b. 1792) and Mary Skinner, who were married in 1813. I believe William and Mary died when the children were young. He would have had other siblings, besides his brother Robert, possible sisters Ellen and Hannah.  Ellen married a John Newman in 1840.  Looking for any information on Warners or Skinners in southwest Cork.  Areas of interest - Bantry, Skibbereen, Baltimore.
warner
skinner
newman
bantry
skibbereen
baltimore

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Warner
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 January 11 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Do you know where Ellen Warner and John Newman got married?
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline swarner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 January 11 03:46 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know Ellen Warner and John Newman would have been married in Bantry.
warner
skinner
newman
bantry
skibbereen
baltimore

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 January 11 09:37 GMT (UK) »
If the family were RC, there are church records for Skibbereen area available to view on www.irishgenealogy.ie  There are more records for West Cork due to be added in the next few months so Bantry should be among them.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline swarner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 January 11 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.  The Warners in Bantry were Protestant. They seemed to follow the Irish naming tradition which has been a help in trying to piece the families together, except that made for a lot of William Warners. Robert, John, Joseph and Thomas were other common Warner names in Bantry. The estate papers from Bantry House has also helped. When leases were signed, it was for 3 lives, which was usually the 3 oldest children. The only information in my gr gr grandfathers bible was that he was born in Bantry Aug. 15, 1822. He started the bible when he came to Canada.  He did not name his parents or siblings. His middle name was Skinner which I assume is his mother's maiden name. I know there are Skinners around Baltimore and Skibbereen but have not been able to find any information on them. There are Skinner stones in the old Tullagh Cemetery in Baltimore.  Trying to make the connection between Warner and Skinner.
Are there any early records of marriages, births, deaths etc. from Bantry around or were they all destroyed??
Shirley (nee Warner)
warner
skinner
newman
bantry
skibbereen
baltimore

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 January 11 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I assume your Warner family were Church of Ireland ?
The term Protestant includes a number of denominations.

The town of Bantry is in the Civil/Church of Ireland parish of Kilmocomoge, and according to the latest list I have from the RCBL the marriage records they hold for this parish go back to 1845. Baptism and burial records got back to 1880.

For some details on Bantry and a mention of the parish see : link  (Samuel Lewis 1837 - Library Ireland)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Adam Newman was a prominent landlord in the area in the late early-mid 1800's.  His name is in the Caheragh tithe applotment (1827). 

A book I have says Adam Newman lived in Betsboro, and was probably "the most infamous landlord" in the area at the time of the famine.  He died in 1879.  (maybe a father and son)

Also there is a Henry Newman in Francis Guy's 1875 directory.  He was an elected official of the board of guardians and lived in Betsborough.

I mention these names because the Newman surname is uncommon in these parts.
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 June 11 03:50 BST (UK) »
There is a William Warner listed for Reenadisert and also for Dunbittern in an 1829 Application for the registering of a freehold in the barony of Bantry.  Also a John Warner for Dunbittern.

There is a John Warner listed in Dromleigh in the Kilmocomoge Tithe Applotment (close to Dunbittern).

Reenadisert and Dunbittern are on the Sheepshead side of Bantry; Reenadisert is northwest of Bantry out on a tiny little peninsula wedged between Sheepshead and Beara.

Other than what is listed on this page, I have no other information.

http://www.corkgen.org/publicgenealogy/cork/potpourri/corkancestors.com/Bantry.htm

(The page is one of many pages I sought permission to curate from the former owner and I am currently in the process of restoring.)

Offline swarner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 June 11 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you "skibbgirl" for your informaion.  These are MY Warners, Bantry, Dunbittern, Reenadisert.  Thank you again.  Every bit of information is greatful.
shirley   
warner
skinner
newman
bantry
skibbereen
baltimore