Author Topic: Larbert lunatic asylum.  (Read 22135 times)

Offline petbro

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Not Forgotten' by Angela Byrne
    • View Profile
Re: Larbert lunatic asylum.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 19 October 15 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Spoke to Jean at Falkirk Archives (01324 503779) who was a tremendous help as regards both records and burial of my grt uncle J. He was a patient registered as a lunatic (1901 Census states he was feeble minded) but only entered the Asylum due to the Phthisis which he had for over two years. I guess his parents knew he was close to death.

On the animal side of things, J worked and looked after his father's horses - he was a coachman - so could j have contracted it through his work with the horses? I'm due to see my doctor next week so will raise the issue with her and let you know what she says. I hope it won't be the usual 'Google it' reply!!

thanks for the records update link too.

Peter 
HERON-CUDDEFORD  TAYLOR-WILKINS  BROWNE-O'BRIEN BROWNE-RYAN

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 28 December 15 21:53 GMT (UK) »
I haven't visited this thread for a while but as an update, and with thanks to Guy Etchells who visited the archives and found a wealth of information for me, I can give a conclusion to my original question. It would appear that my great great grandmother was in there for the reason that she was mentally unstable. She had delusions and believed that two of her children were replaced at birth by cats and planned to kill them. Given that one of these children was probably my great grandfather George, I can only be thankful she was foiled. Indeed she was deemed so dangerous that the Procurator Fiscal forbade her release without his say so.

This also clears up the little mystery that of my grandparents five daughters, none were given her name.

Apparently she was in Morningside before Larbert so I think that will be my next stop.

Thanks to all who helped and especially to Guy for his fantastic digging for me.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline peterspark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 09 April 16 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Can anyone help me with records from the Larbert Asylum.  I am wondering if there is somewhere i can obtain copies of records from.
My ancestor was - Alexander SPARK who died there in 1902 and his daughter Janet SPARK who died there 14th May 1909.  any help appreciated. hoping the records have photos possibly?

Any help appreciated. the original link at beginning of post does not help.
Cheers
peter from Australia

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 09 April 16 11:09 BST (UK) »
I haven't visited this thread for a while but as an update, and with thanks to Guy Etchells who visited the archives and found a wealth of information for me, I can give a conclusion to my original question. It would appear that my great great grandmother was in there for the reason that she was mentally unstable. She had delusions and believed that two of her children were replaced at birth by cats and planned to kill them. Given that one of these children was probably my great grandfather George, I can only be thankful she was foiled. Indeed she was deemed so dangerous that the Procurator Fiscal forbade her release without his say so.

This also clears up the little mystery that of my grandparents five daughters, none were given her name.

Apparently she was in Morningside before Larbert so I think that will be my next stop.

Thanks to all who helped and especially to Guy for his fantastic digging for me.
I think today  they would call her condition as  Post Puerral Psychosis.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline peterspark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 09 April 16 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hey Scouseboy

Do you have a contact email or something to see if it is possible this Guy Etchells could visit the archives for me to chase up my ancestors? greatly appreciated. Happy to pay a fee to have someone get the records for me. I am in Australia and not somewhere i can easily pop into.
Cheers
Peter spark

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 09 April 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
Guy posts on RootsChat. Use the search to find him and send him a Personal Message.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.