Author Topic: sanitorium records lancaster.  (Read 6904 times)

Offline mijaf

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: sanitorium records lancaster.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 16:39 GMT (UK) »
I have only just discovered this, and would like to know if anyone knows of a sanatorium in Lancaster that took patients from WW1 soldiers, either wounded or having TB etc. I am looking for info on a soldier who is shown to have died in a lancaster sanatorium in October 1920

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 April 17 00:29 BST (UK) »
I came across this newspaper cutting while browsing eBay today, and remembered this thread
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jw8/

Dated 1927, does not give the newspaper it was from but mentions the name William Jackson as a rescuer. Victims of the flood were Joseph Gregg, Reginald Hall and Katherine Knowles.
Hope this helps someone

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MadaboutRoses1883

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 April 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
Thankyou  Barbara H for this link.
Although it doesn't mention my gr grandfather, I know he helped rescue some patients from that flood as he lived very near to it on the Quay, I did however actually know William Jackson! Obviously he was an old man into his 80's or even 9o's when I knew him from 1971 (and still working!) My husband was his apprentice .
He was known as Billy Jackson and was a Master Butcher/Slaughterman, and was delivering meat (tied to the crossbar of his bike) at the time of the floods to the 3 pubs that were then down on the Quay.
Billy never usually talked about this heroic act, but that info was imparted to us by Billy one night when we had met him in a pub along the Quay, when he had had a few bevvies.
He was a gracious old gentleman, who always wore a rose in his buttonhole and kissed a ladies hand when he met her.
LANCASHIRE: 
Arkwright. Weston. Higginson. Hargreaves. Glass. Johnson. Colbeck. Edmonson. Marsden. Bateson. Park/Parks/Parkes. Fern. Appleby. Purchase.  Riden/Riddens.
Gornall/Gornell/Gorner.Lancashire. Preston/Ribchester).
Kirkby Lonsdale/Kendal/Lancashire. Routledge.Atkinson.
DORSET:Wareham.Green.Kerly/Kerley