Author Topic: McDonald in Castletown and Douglas  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Fraxie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDonald in Castletown and Douglas
« on: Monday 31 January 11 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for more records of my ggg grandparents and two of their children who show up in the 1861 and 1871 censuses.  I'd dearly like to know whether the parents died on the Isle of Man, how to get copies of the death certificates if they did, whether the daughters married and/or had children there and again how to get certificates.

In 1861 Laurence McDonald (b. 1804 in Ireland)is down as a librarian, sergeant major and pensioner in Castletown barracks. His wife Mary (b 1808-15, Ireland) is with him and so are two daughters Catherine (b.1844 in Ireland) and Ellen (b.1845 in Stockport).  The daughters are a milliner and  a dressmaker respectively.  By 1871 they are in Douglas at Wesley Terrace and he is instructor to the Rifle Volunteers.

There is also another member of the family James, born in Ireland in 1837, who I cannnot track after his childhood. Probably he died then but it is possible he was also in the army. 

Any church records will almost certainly be Catholic ones.

Does anyone have access to further references to them?  And if so would they be kind enough to look them up?  Thanks