Author Topic: Willie Emmott b1881 Shelley, Yorks.  (Read 8829 times)

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Willie Emmott b1881 Shelley, Yorks.
« on: Tuesday 01 February 11 15:22 GMT (UK) »
 ??? I have been doing some tracing for descendants of William Emmott b1830 in Shelley and see the possibility they may also be related to Willie Emmott b1881. Years ago I found lots of info on Willie Emmott who, I believe, went on to found Automotive Products but as it wasn't relevant at the time didn't keep it. Now, when I need it, there's very little about Willie on the net apart from the Automotive Products stuff.
I should be very grateful for any info on said Willie Emmott.
Emmott - Yorkshire, Hampshire and London
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Willie Emmott b1881 Shelley, Yorks.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I have been doing some tracing for descendants of William Emmott b1830 in Shelley and see the possibility they may also be related to Willie Emmott b1881

It's not clear whether you are wanting to go backwards from Willie or forwards from him?

If backwards - you have his parents details from the 1881 so can work backwards from his father to see if there is a connection to the William Emmott you mention

If forwards - have you checked for a marriage for him on freebmd - there's a possibility in 1908?

Have you found him on the 1911 census?

You can also use freebmd to check for Emmott births with mothers maiden name?? to get details of children born after 1911

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Possibles?

FreeBMD
Nellie B Bingham, Sep 1912, Lambeth, 1d 699 and Willie Emmot (only 2 entries on page)

The Times Jul 6, 1966
Wills
Emmott - Mrs Nellie Beatrice, of Warfield Berkshire, wife of Willie Emmott, Company Director

regards

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 21:14 GMT (UK) »
 :) Many thanks for the two replies. Thanks to Carole W for suggesting further avenues - I know these but was hoping for more personal information such as that which I'm sure I found years ago. Thanks, too, to hanes teulu for saving me a bit more work !! I don't have free access to the 1911 census but had found a London Gazette entry on Google referring to land acquisition by Willie and Nellie Beatrice.
I really ought to be looking back to make a connection to the family I was researching and had wanted some confirmation that the Willie Emmott I found was indeed the one who made millions through the development of hydraulics. I seem to recall that one of Willie's descendants ended up living in some style in Switzerland.
It is some years since I was last up at High Holborn, looking for Emmott wills and recall having found references to Willie and his descendants but don't remember any details.
Sorry, this is rambling but can I just ask that if anyone does have info on Willie Emmott, other than that which is on Google, I should be most interested.
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 February 11 09:46 GMT (UK) »
There is a Willie Emmott baptised at Shelley on 9 Sep 1883; mother Lavinia Emmott.

No father is given so Willie may have been illegitimate.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 February 11 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I have now had the opportunity to look further:

John Emmott (born ca 1819; son of George Emmott) married Harriet Hirst (born ca 1828; daughter of James Hirst) at Kirkburton on 18 Aug 1850.

From the transcription of the 1881 census (RG11 4373/111) Harriet is a 52 year old widow and a farmer of 29 acres living at Windmill Hill, Shelley with the following children :

Lawrence, unmarried aged 29 - a farmer of 29 acres and a tailor

Lavinia, unmarried aged 27

John Thomas, unmarried aged 20 - an Assistant National Schoolmaster

Alfred, aged 13 - a farm labourer

Lizzie, aged 7

The 1 month old Willie is in the household as a grandson so he was, indeed, Lavinia's illegitimate son.

All born at Shelley except Harriet who was born at Kirkburton.

Lizzie was born in 1883/4 so John must have died later than this and the death of a John Emmot aged 59 was registered in the Huddersfield RD in the June quarter of 1877. However, there is no burial for John at Shelley in the HDFHS transcript.

There are a total of 23 Emmett/Emmot/Emmott burials at Shelley between 1868 and 1973.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 February 11 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I dont know if this is him or not but in the probate indexes on Ancestry is a Willie Lee Emmott died 1934.  Probate was granted on 4th July 1934 at London although he died at Thornton nr Bradford and was granted to an Arnold Foster Atkinson a cashier and Thomas Haigh a rate collector.  Value of the estate was £826 1s 6d

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 February 11 22:29 GMT (UK) »
 :) Many thanks to Holmemoss and acorngenealogy.
Firstly can I tell acorngenealogy that I'm sorry he hasn't found the Willie Emmott I'm looking for. There were 2 Willie Emmotts born in Yorkshire in 1881 but "my" one went on to be a major force in the automotive industry and had an extremely impressive estate in Berkshire.
I said I didn't remember any details of the wills but I do know there were descendants and I believe one of them, a lady, lived in some style in Switzerland but has since died.
I had found the 1881 census record of Willie in both Ancestry and FamilySearch and followed him and his mother Lavinia through to 1901 where Lavinia is living in Lincoln and has a husband, George Henry Toon. I haven't found any record of G.H.Toon or Lavinia in 1911 but Willie is apparently still in Lincoln. I found no trace of a wedding for Lavinia but G.H.Toon was married in W Derby in 1896 - no record that I can find of Lavinia there - trust her to marry halfway between censuses !!
I've just found that I was contacted previously from Australia about this part of the Emmott tree but there were a hell of a lot of Emmotts in that little Yorkshire Village and a high proportion of them were tailors.
Anything more about the Shelley Emmotts and Willie, who becaome a millionaire, will be much appreciated.
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 February 11 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Would I be right in thinking your Willie Emmott lived to be 100 or just short of his 100th Birthday?

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP