Author Topic: Tracing and old house in Stockport  (Read 5061 times)

Offline desmonddsdoll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing and old house in Stockport
« on: Monday 07 February 11 23:42 GMT (UK) »
This is my last hope now so I'm really hoping that somebody can help or advise me  ???

People who are local to Davenport in Stockport will probably know the building I'm searching - it was a derelict 1930s detached house that stood next to Davenport Methodist Church until 1997.
 It was number 68 Garners Lane and had belonged to Walter and Elizabeth Wheelton in the 30s/40s. Walter was raised in Edgeley and he married Elizabeth at St Matthews Church in Edgeley before they moved to Davenport and lived a few doors down from 68 Garners Lane - they bought 68 Garners Lane a year after it was built from its first owner (a man named Wilfred).
At some time, a lady called Rita Faust lived there and a man called David also lived there with a lady called Amy Tilsley in around 50s/60s - the last residents of the house were James and Louie Dale who appear to have abandoned the house in about 1966 after a serious fire. It stood derelict ever since and there was an unsuccesful attempt to buy it in 1979 and in the early-mid 80s a squatter lived there for many years.

In 1996/7 the house was sold at auction and was demolished to make way for the current Rosefield Housing Development. I have tried to trace the auction records and sales information but have had no luck at all but what I really want is a PHOTOGRAPH of the house - I would be willing to pay a fair price for a decent photo. Does anybody who recognises the house or who is related to any of the previous owners have any ideas???

I believe that a story was run by Stockport Express Advertiser as they reported the sale of the house with a story about the proposed demolition and another local told me that they also ran a story on the fire that made the Dale family leave, but I can't find anything on Google or in the archives themselves - I have sent an email to the paper to see if they can assist me but so far nothing has come of it  :'(

The reason I'm so desperate for a photo is we are creating a scrapbook on the house for my Grandmother who was related to Mrs Wheelton and who tried to buy the house in 1979 but she was unsuccesful - I have managed to get access to the complete electoral roll for that address but the only thing eluding me is a photo - does anybody please have any suggestions to refresh my search??? ::)

Offline Mariam82

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing and old house in Stockport
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 February 11 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I just wondered if you had tried the Stockport Heritage Magazine c/o Steve Cliffe - as their magazines often have old photos ??

Andrew Cavanagh B. Wicklow 1841 - D. widnes 1891 -
wife Alice (nee Green) - later accrington lancs
James & Mary Green- Haslingden m 1806
Peter Belton Burns (or Bolton) Ireland /then Manchester (son William b manchester 1842). Birley family Wigan.   Stafford family Pendleton salford
Devine family Stockport 1832 then Blackley 1861
Lipscomb family (Robert Lipscomb derby)
Stafford family (Margaret - Isle of Man).  Birley family Wigan 1900

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 February 11 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried Stockport Library or, if it was near the Methodist Church, maybe an older member might have a photo, claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
  • George in Carnival mood c 1929
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 February 11 08:38 GMT (UK) »
desmonddsdoll,

Try this link in your browser, lots of old photographs of Stockport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/content/image_galleries/240209_stockport_gallery.shtml?5

Happy hunting

Boy Scout
Booth, Askey, Tomlinson, Challinor - Staffordshire
Harvey, Gee, Boston, Shenton, Dale, Maisey, Gibson, Tomlinson, Goodwin - Congleton Cheshire, Fynney- Leek, Manchester, Australia and South Africa

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
  • George in Carnival mood c 1929
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 February 11 08:56 GMT (UK) »
desmonddsdoll,

This may be better

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0btv/

Boy Scout

Moderator comment: Link shrunk
Booth, Askey, Tomlinson, Challinor - Staffordshire
Harvey, Gee, Boston, Shenton, Dale, Maisey, Gibson, Tomlinson, Goodwin - Congleton Cheshire, Fynney- Leek, Manchester, Australia and South Africa

Offline desmonddsdoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 March 11 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou to you all - I'm so sorry I took so long to reply to you all - with love desmondsdoll - oh and I've still had no luck  ??? ::) :'( :)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 11 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the Stockport Local Heritage Library? They have 10s of thousands of images and not all are yet loaded onto their website Stockport Image Archive http://interactive.stockport.gov.uk/stockportimagearchive/welcome.aspx . But from those that are already on SIA, it looks like SLHL have access to those taken by the 'Borough Surveyor' and they include pix of Garners Lane, Adswood, from the 1930s. It seems the pix may only have recently been loaded as the images are labelled forthcoming, so it might be worth looking further into those or asking if there are more not yet loaded.
Contact details for SLHL are at
http://interactive.stockport.gov.uk/stockportimagearchive/contact.aspx
Good luck in your quest.
Birtle

Offline desmonddsdoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 11 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - I have been regularly trawling SIA in the vain hope - the closest I've found are old ariel photos but the house is an indistinguished blur  :( - I've seen all of the uploaded ones of Adswood and Garners Lane but sadly 68 Garners Lane hasn't cropped up yet. What's most frustrating is I know that someone, somewhere will have photos of it - I was only a teenager when it was demolished and had been in hospital before it's demolition so didn't even know it was about to be demolished - the first I knew was on the day I came home and went past and all that stood was the rear left corner and part of a green pantry  ::)
I will try that contact link though - thankyou  :)

Offline Helen Weedon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 July 17 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm sorry that I have only just come across your thread.  I live very nearby the house your are searching for and my neighbour who has lived in or near Edgeley nearly all of her life certainly knew the house.  At one time her family lived immediately in front of it in no. 66 (I think) Garners Lane and her brother carried on there until he died a couple of years ago.  Were the original owners builders?  I know there is a connection between my house (built 1936) and the "big house".   It is just possible that she has a photo which shows your house in the background.  She will definitely have known all occupants of the house from start to finish - she knows everyone!