Author Topic: Roper Smith (or Smith ) family , Chesterfield  (Read 25147 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Roper Smith (or Smith ) family , Chesterfield
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 01 December 12 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hannah was baptised on 15 Jul 1823 in Castle Donington Leicestershire Jacob ( sometimes called John) and Susannah were her parents both of Castle Donington. Jacob like Hannah's husband was a Boatman.........

Not sure what you know about the area........
Castle Donington is a market-town and a parish which sits on the south side of the River Trent, which seperates it from Derbyshire. The parish lies 9 miles south-east from Derby, 9.5 miles north-east of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, 13 miles south-west of Nottingham and 123 miles north of London. The parish is just north-west of the East Midlands Airport. The parish covers about 3,425 acres these days.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline LizTJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 01 December 12 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, I knew John was a boatman, and Hannah was a (?) lace (?)
embroiderer from one of the census's, can it be in the genes?  My grandma and mum were brilliant at embroidery, I have two tablecloths, one from each of them.  My gran was Hannahs g grandaughter
I know the Castle Donnington area a bit, I was brought up in Chesterfield and now live in Nottinghamshire, used to go through Castle Donnington before they built the M42.
Thanks again.
Liz TJ

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 02 December 12 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Lace embroidery was done in that area by the 'outworkers' for the nottingham Lace industry and the boatman would carry the products.

My mother always claimed I got my skills from 'her side' ( they were very good) it was only after I researched my dad's side did I find out, textile work there too and fine highly prized and expensive work was a profession to them, from lace embrodiery to glove makers and taylors
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline LizTJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Must see if I can follow John and Hannah through the census I think I only have the 1851 where they are living on Clap Gun St Castle Donington with children George, Lucy and James. What a wonderfully weird address!
Liz

Offline LizTJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 19 September 13 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all, still working on this family - think this is Maud Roper, born c 1869
Free BMD Maud Roper death Chesterfield Sept 1/4 1883.
Register of Chesterfield and Tapton burials - Maud Roper, age 14, TANNERS CHILD, address Lordsmill Street buried July 25th 1883, register number 5793
Still looking for the other two deaths.  In 1911 census George states his marriage had lasted 47 years and he had ten children, seven were still alive in 1911.  Was he, I wonder, counting son John, who, I think died in March 1/4, 1897 age 33. Couldn't find him on 1901 but found Ada Smith age 40 born Gainsborough, living at Ecclesall Bierlow. (On 1891 John is married to Ada)
Finally Family Search has the marriage of Ethel Mary Roper to Jeremiah Hebblethwaite at St Mary's Church 23 Dec 1911, at St Mary's Chesterfield.  Ethel's father is George Roper.  (Incidentally FreeBMD has the births of three Hebblethwaite children, registered Chesterfield, mother's maiden name Smith)  Ain't it fun this family history lark!!!!
Liz TJ

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 September 13 21:52 BST (UK) »
Fun and very addictive!

You have been busy ;D

Offline LizTJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 September 13 08:29 BST (UK) »
I leave it totally for a few weeks and then when I look at it again it's "fresh eyes".  Still not 100% convinced by the St Alkmund marriage for George (His father was Smith, not Roper) so I've sent for Arthur's birth certificate which hopefully will have his mother's maiden name, but with this family who knows!
Liz TJ :D

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 21 September 13 11:05 BST (UK) »
Me too and it also often helps me write it down on here as you really do look to see and check what proof you have, our own ancestors are precious while others look at things more objectively.

With this line I have found many twists and turns and with the Roper/Smith it seems some children used the Roper in their name while others didn't

Offline LizTJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 21 September 13 11:21 BST (UK) »
Just received Arthur's birth certificate - yes mum is definitely Susannah Fletcher and Arthur's name is registered as Roper, but definitely Arthur Roper Smith on his marriage to Emma Reddish as I have that certificate too.  No major alterations to family tree. 
Wonder if John and Hannah were going by the name Roper then and that's why I can't find them in the 1861 census - just a thought ;D