Author Topic: Can anyone date this young man?  (Read 1635 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Can anyone date this young man?
« on: Monday 14 February 11 11:41 GMT (UK) »
This is a photo of a charming miniature that a cousin has.  We don't know who he is, although we can make guesses.  Any thoughts on date/country?

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone date this young man?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 February 11 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I can't help with a date, but boy, looks Napoleonic!

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 February 11 11:57 GMT (UK) »
With the high collared, deep stepped lapelled, blue tail coat and the double breasted, deep lapelled and straight based waist coat, coupled with the stock and neck cloth that he sports I would place a ten year date line of somewhere between 1815 and 1825 (but more likely to be closer to the early 1820's). After 1825/26 I would expect to see a different hair style and also some facial hair.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 February 11 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Wow what a gem :o.....It looks a bit French I think.

Hi O.R.....nice to see you making a guest appearance  ;D ;D ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 February 11 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carol, I may not post as often as I used too but still look in on the boards and give an answer or two now and again where I can.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 February 11 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, friends, this is quite exciting because what you have said ties in with who we think he is.  We think he is the only surviving brother of our ggggrandmother.  They were French, born on the island of Guadeloupe in the Caribbean in the late 18th century.  His name was Joseph Henri Serane.  His sister Adele married a man of Dutch/Irish heritage and seems to have left her own French heritage behind - she lived in London for the last 35 years of her life.  We have no idea what happened to this young man but we surmise that he may have died in young adulthood.  Whether he remained in Guadeloupe and succumbed to one of the tropical fevers that carried off other family members, or went back to France, perhaps got involved in the Napoleonic Wars and was killed - who knows?  I seem to have no way of finding out, but at least you have given me some extra reasons to believe that this is Joseph Henri Serane!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland