Author Topic: Where was Macadams Lane, Milton?  (Read 8760 times)

Offline Mundell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where was Macadams Lane, Milton?
« on: Saturday 19 February 11 18:02 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandparents lived in Macadams Lane, Milton where my grandfather Robert Gledinning Mundell was born about 1870/2.  Can anyone rell me where this place was located?  I can't find it on any old maps so far

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Macadams Lane, Milton?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 February 11 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mundell

There is a Milton district in Glasgow City. This looks to be the entry for the birth:

ROBERT GLENDINNING MUNDELL b. 25 June 1871 in Tradeston, Glasgow to James Mundell and Mary Currie

Have a look at this Lanarkshire links page, a number of maps links included www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,510660.0.html Sometimes though the specific lanes are hard to find on these maps.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 February 11 19:14 GMT (UK) »
This might help you to try and locate where McAdams Lane, Milton was http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/LANARK/1999-07/0932697470 which is from the 1881 census:

Enumeration District 41
Garscube Rd
Mc Adams Lane
North Woodside Rd
North Woodside Rd Back Lane

Enumeration District 42
Garscube Rd (Shop)
Garscube Road
Mc Adams Lane
North Mc Adams Lane

North Woodside Road
North Woodside Road St Josephs R C Chapel

You can use the main references of Garscube Road and North Woodside Road to guide you on the maps.

Monica

Offline Mundell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 February 11 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica,

Thank you so much for that.  I was amazed to have such a quick response to my very first query on Rootschat.  I will follow that up and it looks as though that link will be helpful in other ways too. 

Thanks again.   Mary

Offline Mundell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Robert Glendinning Mundell
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 February 11 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Monica,

Thanks for your second message.  Yes, I have a copy of that birth Cert. and the marriage cert. of James Mundell and Elizabeth Currie.  That route is quite productive as her mothere's name was Glendinning.  However, I hesitate to trust it too far because there is a confusion that I have not been able, so far, to resolve.

Robert Glendinning Mundell married my Grandmother, Alice Marsden (nee Walton) in 1909.  He gave his age as 35, which would have made his birth year about 1874.  He also named his parents as Robert Mundell and Mary Mundell (nee Munroe deceased).  Now a little miscalculation is possible,  but I have not been able to find this couple - either a marriage or on census returns.  It is possible that he was born to one couple and brought up by another - whichever way round that might have been.  So there is more work for me to do.

If anyone has information about this couple - Robert Mundell and Mary Munroe, I would be very grateful.

Regards,  Mary

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 February 11 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Mary, have you double checked his death cert to see whether same names were given by informant to his death registration?

Did he use any particular names for his children with Alice that might help give clues? Did he use the middle name of Glendinning on his later registrations?

I can easily see him in 1881 with parents James and Mary. Entries after for 1891 and 1901, less clear that he is there  :-\ The release of the 1911 census in Scotland (5 April) might let you reconfirm age and place of birth for him.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 February 11 20:24 GMT (UK) »
There is a likely death for mother Mary Currie/Mundell in 1889, twenty years before Robert's marriage in 1909....I wonder if this is part of the problem and your Robert got muddled at the time of his marriage - does happen unfortunately.

Offline Mundell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tracing Robert Glendinning Mundell
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 February 11 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Monica,

Thank you so much for those last two messages.

First of all, thanks to your guidance, I have found where Macadam's Lane was.  Exactly where you said.  It no longer exists, of course, but it does appear on a 1892 map.  Don't ask me to explain how I found that because I cannot tell you as I followed so many links to get there.

Robert Mundell's death cert. of 1915 is not too helpful, as he died of pneumonia, emphysema, and pulmonary embolism, in Weymouth.  He was a Sergeant in B company 14th Royal Scotts Regiment.  So I assume this is a war death.  I don't know how to obtain more details of whether this was a normal illness or a trench related condition.

His marriage cert. states his employment as marine stoker at that time, so he may have been at sea for earlier census's.

My grandmother, Alice, was married and widowed 3 times, poor woman, but although I thought this would complicate tracing her back, she has been remarkably easy!

The death of Mary Currie that you identified opens an avenue I had not thought of.  Many thanks.  Much to think about!  Looking forward to the 1911census.  Do you know when it will be available online?

Regards and thanks again,  Mary

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 February 11 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Poor Robert, reasons for his death sound awful :-\

The Scottish 1911 census is due to be released on 5 April, not too long now!

Monica

PS: Well done for finding McAdam Lane on the map - I was trying to find a couple myself the other day and needed lots of help from other RootsChat members!