Author Topic: Edward SAUNDERS, b. 1595, South Molton, Devonshire  (Read 3398 times)

Offline DevonshireSaunders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward SAUNDERS, b. 1595, South Molton, Devonshire
« on: Tuesday 22 February 11 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

There are over 1500 family trees on **cestry.com which include Edward Saunders, born 1595.  97% of these family trees include a place of origin of "South Molton, Devon [or Devonshire]" for this man; and all of them--as far as I can yet ascertain-- are unsourced re: the place of origin.  There is a source of information for the year of his birth (a ship's passenger record.) Can anyone enlighten me as to where "South Molton" came from in regards to Edward Saunders, b. 1595--English emigrant to Colonial Virginia aboard the ship "Safety" in 1635?

Any and all leads or suggestions greatly appreciated.

-Jenny

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Edward SAUNDERS, b. 1595, South Molton, Devonshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 09:09 GMT (UK) »
The ship sailed from London and according to "The Settlers of Alabama" page 349, Edward was from Northumberland and aged 9 (born 1626) travelling with his 40 year old father Thomas. See http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SANDERS/2004-10/1097670706 I have no personal knowledge of any of this research, so can't give you any further information, but you might try using a search engine for more.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline DevonshireSaunders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward SAUNDERS, b. 1595, South Molton, Devonshire
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, DOB7. Thank you for your reply.  I've looked at "Early Settlers of Alabama" before. "Early Settlers" asserts that the Saunders were of Northumberland County,  Virginia-- that's where they settled in the Virginia Colony--but it does not state their place of origin-- so unfortunately, this book doesn't give any clues as to the origins of the "South Molton" rumor.  Thanks for suggesting it, though.

For other Saunders researchers who may be tempted to quote from "Early Settlers of Alabama," many parts of this book were not carefully written. The source of the information for the Saunders' immigration in "Settlers of Alabama" is "Hotten's Original Lists of Persons of Quality..." (John Camden Hotten, ed. [London, 1874.] ) When you go to Hotten's, you see that the 40 year-old immigrant (born circa 1595) was named "Edward Saunders," not "Thomas Saunders," as stated in "Early Settlers of Alabama," and that the names of the children--Thomas Saunders, age 13; and Edward Saunders, age 9-- are not listed next to the name of 40-year-old Edward Saunders; nor is there any indication whatsoever in the book of any familial relationship between the three Saunders on the voyage.  The author of "Early Settlers of Alabama," explicitly states that Hotten identifies them as father and two sons.  Just not true.

I guess it's just very tempting in genealogy to bend the facts a little to "make" something true!

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. 

-Jenny