Author Topic: DENMARK to Gloucester England  (Read 3702 times)

Offline kimmacmillan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DENMARK to Gloucester England
« on: Thursday 24 February 11 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am searching for information on Theodor Oscar Pedersen and the circumstances of his immigration to England. It appears that there may be an interesting story about how he came to immigrate to England. He was born in 1849 in Køge Denmark according to the census in 1881. A story from a descendant states that Thedore Oscar Pedersen had not intended to immigrate to England from Denmark it was fate that brought him to live in England. A sailors chest that is believed to be his appears to state the ship the Saffron. What I would be most interested in is any news articles that may have been around at that time and if any of the names were provided to verify why he came to be in England.

What I have gleaned from the internet is that the Withernsea Pier damaged by the Brig Saffron in 1880
From an original copy (Malet Lambert ) "A Sketch of Hornsea by J.E. Hobson"
The suddenness with which the storm sprang up and its ferocity are vividly described in the account given to the "Hull Packet" by the Captain of the brig "Saffron", the ship that had the distinction of wrecking the Withernsea Pier. 'The vessel got underway leaving the river at high water. All went well till after eight o'clock in the evening the vessel sailed merrily with a westerly wind. At eight o'clock there was every indication that the voyage would soon terminate properly. It was at that time raining fast and the Flamborough Headlight was just visible. All at once, at about 10 past eight the wind suddenly chopped round to the North East North and the hurricane was upon us. The ship put about to seek the shelter of Humber. So suddenly and fearfully did the gale strike the brig that no efforts could be made to reef the sails or furl them and sail after sail was blown away until the vessel was completely at the mercy of the wind and sea. Helplessly the craft was driven along the coast. Each hour the sea and wind became rougher whilst the rain fell in such torrents that the crew could not see many yards in any direction. About one o'clock in the morning the look out hand forward thought he saw something directly ahead but he could not make out with anything like distinctness what it was. All at once the Winternsea pier loomed right across the bows and the resistance this offered caused her to swing around and she then drove broadside through the pier.
Withernsea pier was built with wood, steal and iron back in 1877 at a cost of 12,000 pounds and stood 1,196ft long. The admission price back then was 1 old penny. In October 1880 the ship Saffron hit the centre of the pier taking out a 250ft section. This was repaired using just wood. The Saffron was re-floated and can now be found in the Withernsea Lifeboat Museum.

Køge (older spelling Kjøge) is a seaport and the main town in Køge Municipality , Region Sjælland, Denmark with an agglomeration population of 34,733 (January 1, 2009  including the suburbs of Køge Nord Lyng and Ølsemagle Lyng) to the north and Herfølge to the south. Køge is located about 39 km/24 miles southwest of Copenhagen at the end of a line of the Copenhagen S-train system and has a well-preserved old town centre.

Thanking you in advance from Canada.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DENMARK to Gloucester England
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 February 11 16:07 GMT (UK) »
British newspapers do show this happening - on Oct 30 (saturday) they reported it as occurring on Thursday. She was heading from Southampton to Sunderland, was driven aground about 11pm, and took 60ft of the pier with her.

However, I don't think this particular incident could be related to Theodor's immigration, because he had already married in Gloucester in 1874 and had children all born in Gloucester between then and 1881.

Do you know what his occupation was when he married? I could see him possibly having been a sailor in the early 1870s (perhaps into Bristol?), and settling down after meeting his future wife - more of a happy fate, in this case!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kimmacmillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 February 11 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello thank you for that. In all the census data I have 1881, 1891, & 1901 he is described as 'porter' on his death certificate 'interpreter' that is all I have verified. Legend has it he worked on the boats I do not know what capacity. As mentioned his 'chest' is in the hands of an Aunt.

Offline kimmacmillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 February 11 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any suggestions how I could find out how he came to immigrate to England? He marries in Gloucester in 1874.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 February 11 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Not an answer to your query, but was he connected to Mikael Pedersen, a Dane, inventor of the Pedersen Bicycle, whose operation was based in Dursley, Gloucestershire from the end of the 19th century? If so, plenty of information on line.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 February 11 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think getting his marriage certificate would be useful. You would get his occupation - perhaps he was working on ships in 1874 but circumstances could easily have changed between 1874 and 1881.

His marriage certificate should also tell you his address and the witness names - may be just from his wife's family as they seem to have come and lived with them but could be someone he was working with (he probably didn't have family in the area).

There is another incident with the Saffron which happened in 1876:
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=OW18760219.2.52.4&srpos=1&e=-------10--1----2Barque+Saffron--

The Saffron does appear to have been around earlier: from a 1867 mercantile navy list her official number was 84850, she was 276 tonnes and owned by W. H. Watson, Sunderland.

Unfortunately, it is not easy to research merchant navy records during this period. You could have a look through the various resources mentioned here:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/MerchantMarine.html

Offline kimmacmillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 February 11 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello I have looked at Mikael and to date have not found any connection.
In Denmark they used patronym, or patronymic, a component of a personal name based on the name of one's father, grandfather or an even earlier male ancestor....

Not an answer to your query, but was he connected to Mikael Pedersen, a Dane, inventor of the Pedersen Bicycle, whose operation was based in Dursley, Gloucestershire from the end of the 19th century? If so, plenty of information on line.

Offline kimmacmillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 February 11 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, on the marriage it states Profession: Seaman, and his death certificate it states Occupation: Able Seaman Mercantile Marine (retired). I will certainly check the merchant marine site.

Hi, I think getting his marriage certificate would be useful. You would get his occupation - perhaps he was working on ships in 1874 but circumstances could easily have changed between 1874 and 1881.

His marriage certificate should also tell you his address and the witness names - may be just from his wife's family as they seem to have come and lived with them but could be someone he was working with (he probably didn't have family in the area).

There is another incident with the Saffron which happened in 1876:
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=OW18760219.2.52.4&srpos=1&e=-------10--1----2Barque+Saffron--

The Saffron does appear to have been around earlier: from a 1867 mercantile navy list her official number was 84850, she was 276 tonnes and owned by W. H. Watson, Sunderland.

Unfortunately, it is not easy to research merchant navy records during this period. You could have a look through the various resources mentioned here:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/MerchantMarine.html

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 February 11 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I found the Saffron of Sunderland in 1871 - RG10/1781 286/3 (enumerated in Suffolk).  Captain at that time was John James Ormiston and there were a total of 8 men aboard on the night of the census - master, mate, a cook/steward and 5 A.B. seamen. No Danes aboard.

So he e might have been on the Saffron sometime between 1871 and 1874. On the marriage certificate, who were the witnesses? (They could be fellow sailors).

You would think that he'd show up on parish records/censuses in Køge but I'm not having any luck.
http://www.sa.dk/ao/Kirkeboeger/default.aspx
http://www.ddd.dda.dk/kiplink_en.htm

But he could easily be "lost" somewhere perhaps under an variant spelling (the census indexing is not yet complete), or have been christened in another parish but moved to Koge as a boy.