Author Topic: AN UPDATE ---William Banks Hutchison b c 1876 Gilmerton  (Read 14969 times)

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
AN UPDATE ---William Banks Hutchison b c 1876 Gilmerton
« on: Sunday 27 February 11 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I am tring to find out more about William Banks Hutchison I believe he married Jane Stirling c 1895 . I am inetrested in any family they might have had and what happened to them especially their son William Banks Stirling Hutchison b c 1907 I believed he married and went abroad but would love to know where.

Jessie

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William Banks Hutchison b c 1876 Gilmerton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 February 11 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessie                 

This looks a possible entry for the family in 1901 - everyone born in Gilmerton unless shown:

William B Hutchison 26, coal miner
Jane Hutchison 25 b. Bothkenner, Stirlingshire
Alexr Hutchison 5 b. Dalkeith
Maggie Hutchison 4
Mary Ann Hutchison 1

Address: Gilmerton (tofts), Liberton Midlothian

The 1911 Scottish census is due to be released on 5 April which will let you expand on the family and children born after 1901.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 11 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessie,

I suppose you have this.

Alexander Hutchison married Maryann Banks 16 June 1865 at Liberton, Edinburgh.

Elizabeth Stewart Hutchison born 5 April 1866.
Margaret Hutchison born 22 March 1868.
Joanna Banks Hutchison born 10 April 1870.
Matthew Hutchison born 11 April 1872.
William Banks Hutchison born 5 May 1874.
Parents Alexander Hutchison and Maryann Banks.

This could be Alexanders details.

Alexander Hutchison baptised 27 March 1842 at Liberton, Edinburgh.
Parents Mathew Hutchison and Elizabeth Leitch.
If this is him he would have been aged 23 yrs on his Marriage.

His brothers and sisters below.

John Hutchison baptised 30 Aug 1840.
Margaret Hutchison baptised 25 Aug 1844.
Matthew Hutchison born 28 Nov 1848.
Elizabeth Hutchison baptised 26 May 1850.
Baillie Baillie Hutchison baptised 8 June 1853.

In the 1851 Census they are down as living in Drum Street, Gilmerton Edinburgh. Mathew is down as a Labourer Freestone Quarry, aged 32 Elizabeth aged 31.

The attached photo shows looking down Drum Street Gilmerton

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
wow, this is kinda how I remember Drum Street when I was a child...... in the 50's.....I am in Drum Street most days working so I will have a look tomorrow and see what is what.  I know that the Royal Bank is round about where the bakers was...I remember it as an ice cream shop/parlour and on the other side was the Patons wool shop.  Half way dow the road was the Post Office.  All the old cottages are gone now and it is a very busy road.
  Ill also check the war memorial in the church in Toft Street.
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 March 11 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynda,
               There was Hennikers then the bank Williams the bakers the cafe Miranda, Duncans joiners - Coutts - right down the bottom Plenderleiths.
coming back up was the post office which then went to Main Street now known as Ravenscroft Street . The beehive stores were run by two sisters - Sally and Jenny Marr who lived in a bungalow down Gilmerton Road their brother Andrew and his wife used to go and help out in the shop.
I had relatives stay there many years ago

Suzilad

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 March 11 19:28 BST (UK) »
My mum was freindly with the ladies who ran the wool shop....may have been the beehive...I remember visiting them upstairs....I think one of their name may have been Isobel, but it is a very long time ago....and I was very young....hehe
Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 March 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
The Bakers shop is now houses and the bank is next door to them the Bank was Hennikers shop to the left of the Bank was Teapot Close, then the Cottages that are still there are now shops I believe that the Bain family lived there, behind the Bank were more Cottages the Bain family also lived there.

In the photo on the right are the buildings built by Miss Innis of the famous family who started off as Carters, opposite The Gardner's Arms Pub there was a Police Station, after it closed down it became a shop, the building is no longer there it was knocked down and is now East Farm Road.

The Cafe Miranda was knocked down and is now modern houses, down from the Cafe there was a big Farmhouse still there I think the last Farmer was called Robertson. it should be noted that at the moment the Gardner's Arms has closed down after over 120 years ( 1890 - 2011 )  due to threats.

The Mechanics Arms used to be called Mitchell's and was known originally as the Gilmerton Inn, it has been there since the around 1732, not a bad innings, next to that was two Cottages now knocked down I think one was a Barber's Shop owned by Bob Bain, then further down we have the famous Gilmerton Cove.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 March 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Templar ,
                 There was a shop called McDonald and McAulay which was right next to the phone box run then by Mac McDonald and
his sister Molly McAulay their mother Violet Mitchell (a local thing woman were always referred to by the maiden name even although they were married ) owned the Mechanic Arms there is a story that her granny took pity on the old worthies in the village who stood at "Mitchells Corner" and used to throw enough money  from an upstairs window for them all to go in and have a drink. The barber who are thinking of was Charlie Bain then John Herkes cobblers then Watt the electrician the cove I was down in 1974 . Then it was the enterance to a market garden where the girls from Dr. Guthries used to garden.
Story goes that  "Teapot close " got its name i was often told because the residents used to go outside and empty their teapots in it no teabags in those days.

Suzilad

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 March 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
I remember the market garden down the vennel....i go to work in a cottage at the back of the church....spent many a saturday down at the church for the pour oots....on a good day there were 2.....lol...my stepfather worked for Guilder the bakers.....Mr Skinner was the minister and not that long away....there was a butcher up New toft street...Runcimens on the corner at the top.....
Back to Drum street, there was a fish monger and I used to be fascinated by the water puring down the window, I am trying to remember the name of the people who did ariels round about that bit...then there was the esso garage owned by Turners, the other brother had the garage up tthe main street....and I went to cadets in the hall which are still there....oh yes...those were the days....
Horan,  Edinburgh.