Author Topic: McGlynn Family  (Read 22289 times)

Offline dave McGlynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGlynn Family
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 08 December 13 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Mary Greene.
          Mary Green was born on 31 Aug 1896 in Ardsbeg, Gortahork to Catherine Green.  She was born outside wedlock and was a twin.  The other child died at birth.  The father was Edward Rodgers who married Kate after his mother died.  The stigma of having an illegitimate child often means that the child did not have schooling and is often found on census material living with a relation as a grand-daughter or niece.  Kate and her daughter Mary are on the 1901 Census in different cottages - also Edward Rodgers and his mother.  These children were often sent abroad to a relation to have the chance of employment and marriage which would have been denied them at home.  At a young age Mary was sent to an aunt in Glasgow.  Her aunt was Maggie who became Maggie Breslin and the Breslins probably lived Maryhill (never checked) but moved to Riddrie when that area of Glasgow opened in 1920s.
      Mary went into service and lived under the stairs at 39 Calderwood Rd, Rutherglen.  In her 50s Mary could write her name but little else.  On 11 Aug 1914 she married Francis Mc CCGlynn; son of Denis of Kingarrow; in the old St Columbekille's on Main St, Rutherglen.  After marriage they lived at 48 Roseberry St in 'Gorbals' (Hutchesontown).  Then to Hill St, Maryhill, New Stevenson, and back to Maryhill.
      Children - Denis (stillborn, Gorbals); John, Gorbals, Mary, Maryhill, Frank, Kate Rodgers ho in Ardsbeg, Charles, Maryhill,  Stephen and Romuald, New Stevenson, Theresa, Maryhill.  Total.
      Mary emigrated with her daughter Theresa in 1952 and lived with her daughter Mary in Long Beach Calif.  She died on her 66th wedding anniversary at the age of 84 - 11 Aug 1980.
                      Dave (eventual reply)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 09 December 13 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Being illegitimate was not a barrier to going to school and receiving an education.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dave McGlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 December 13 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Aghadoo, doo, doo,
          I did not say it was a barrier.  I know and lived with this woman (last met her in her 70s)and know it prevented her schooling.  I know the Scottish and Irish Education Acts and I have knowledge from trainers of teachers in Donegal; admittedly now well retired or dead; who would all agree with your bland statement but know what was hidden behind it locally.  We should be talking about the realities of life to allow younger people to understand how life was in those days - not what an act of government decreed.  The idea of posting on this site should be; if you have the knowledge, rather than book reading or hearsay; to inform and give others avenues to look into which in the modern world they may not have thought of.  If you have the years and experience please share them with others rather than bland facts that are found on birth, marriage, or census returns.
          Regards, Dave.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 09 December 13 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Your earlier post said "The stigma of having an illegitimate child often means that the child did not have schooling" so I'm not sure why my reply evoked such an unpleasant response and name calling.

I know from years of researching family and local history that it was not at all uncommon for illegitimate children to be sent away to live with other relatives or even strangers but that also happened, for a variety of reasons, to legitimate children whose parents were both alive. I was commenting on your remark about schooling but if you wish to disagree with other members please do so politely.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dave McGlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 27 December 13 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Cousin in Lancashire,
          I know that you were born in India about 1940/43 and now possibly live in Lancashire.  You tried to contact your father who you had never known at his 'war time' address.  Charlie has died but contact me for any info I can give. I have a photo of him as a gunner in India during the war when he met your mother.  McGlynn, Thornton St, Glasgow.  No McGlynns live there now but I know of your letter.
          His mother had a letter written to his commanding officer and he was posted elsewhere in India.
              Dave

Offline dennismc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 24 March 14 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Mary Mcglynn was my grandma,she raised my two brothers and me in California.Our mom was Theresa McNiff(McGlynn).Our Grandma took care of us from the time we were born,she was a wonderful person that spent her life making sure that we were taken care of.If anyone has any questions about her life from 1955 until she passed away i can help fill in the details.

Offline dave McGlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 15:38 BST (UK) »
Dennis.  I've been trying to contact your family through cousin Verna. I sent her an e-mail but didn't get a reply.  I remember May and Theresa well as I grew up in and about the house in Thornton St in my pre-school years.  I have a photo of our gran with her boys the last time they were together and the going away photo of Mary, May, Theresa, Rene.  My address is demcglinat gmaildotcom  I'm Frank's son. They have some way of sending e-mail on this site that I'll try.
                                   Dave.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 18:32 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Dennis  :)

Dave, you need to let Dennis post back a couple of times on the main boards here to activate his Personal Message service (PMs). When you want to send each other PMs, just simply click on your usernames on the l/h side. This will take you to another screen where you will see the option to send a message this way. There are other ways, but this is a simple one to explain quickly!

The PM service works very much like all personal email systems with in/outboxes. You will get a notification (mine pops up as a box in the middle of the screen on RC). You should also get an email to the account that you have registered with here on RC.

Any questions, please ask  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dave McGlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 03 April 14 02:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica that probably helps a lot of us silver surfers.  I flatter myself.  Lost my hair years ago with my youth.
     Thanks again, Dave.