Author Topic: McColgans of Moville  (Read 4447 times)

Offline nicurn1986

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McColgans of Moville
« on: Wednesday 02 March 11 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Looking for info on Patrick McColgan and Mary Snell who married in Moville. I have some info. Mary Snell was born abt. 1830 but don't know where. Don't have a birthdate for Patrick. They had a number of children:
Patrick(b1854), James(b1856), William(b1857), Michael(b1859), Dominick(b1861), John(b1863), Hugh(b1863), Owen(b1865), Eugene(b1866), Mary(b1868), Joseph(b1872). Some of the boys came to the U.S. One was my gr grandfather John. I'd just like to find more about the family. Thank you.

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: McColgans of Moville
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 May 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Moville Records site: http://www.movillerecords.com/index.htm ?l

It lists several McColgans from the area in the Griffth and Tithe records, you may find a lead there

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline nicurn1986

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 May 11 21:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.  I've actually seen that web site.  There seem to be so many McColgans in the area and I don't know which are my McColgans!

Offline Tubberclare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 June 13 18:38 BST (UK) »
I have just seen your post, sorry if this info is late. I have been researching McColgan from that area as well. I have several Patrick McColgan's in my tree. Couldn't find a marriage for Patrick McColgan & Mary Snell. I did however find baptism for sons Patrick & Dominick Didn't look for the others.
Patrick 3rd Sept 1854, sponsors James McCormick & Ann McLaughlin
Dominick 21st August 1861, sponsors James O'Donnell & Mary Gillespie.
Address is given as Carrowtrasna, parish Moville.
When I next look at Moville Parish records I'll see if I can find a marriage. It would have been before Civil Records began.

Offline Scotcan47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 15 01:45 BST (UK) »
I have information on Mary Snell her mother was Cathrine Snell 1795-1879 her father James Snell 1799-1883 They are my 3greatgrandparents.  My Great grandfather was Eugene (Owen) McColgan.  I will add more info when I look it up

Offline nicurn1986

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 15 04:24 BST (UK) »
That's awesome! I would appreciate any info you find. I do have a lot of info on some of the brothers and would be happy to share.

Offline Scotcan47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 August 15 22:15 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was Mary Elizabeth McColgan born Myroe Ireland 1892-1970.  Her father was Eugene called Owen born Lower Moville 1866-1949 his father Patrick Born Culdaff, Donegal  abt 1830 we can't find a death yet for him. He married Mary Snell 1850 Moville Mary was born 1827-1907.  Her father James Snell 1799-1883 and Mother Catherine 1795-1879 Carrastrasna Moville parish.  I visited Moville in June it is a beautiful place.  I have connected with relatives in US whose Great grandfather is also John.  We use Ancestry.com and share info and pictures.