Author Topic: James Yarwood & Ann Riley  (Read 4782 times)

Offline NoodlesRS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Yarwood & Ann Riley
« on: Friday 04 March 11 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I have a big problem in trying to reconcile the dates of JAMES YARWOOD my Gtx3 Grandfather's marriage(s) in order to work out which spouse (if indeed there was more than one) is the mother of his children.  I realise this detail is complicated but please bear with me as I set out what I know.

JAMES YARWOOD born c1776 Middlewich(lived Congleton), Cheshire. I know he  married ANN RILEY c 1787 born Liverpool sometime in the early 1800's (before 1837?) but do not have a date for the marriage so cannot reconcile the children as being hers?   Ann was formerly a Mrs Booth and there is one child Emanuel 1816.

James & spouse (not determined) had 7 children [dates circa]: John 1822,Ann1824,Harriet 1826,Emma 1827,Henry 1828,GEORGE [gtx2) 1831 & Mary 1834. LDS records do not tie in any with Ann or for that matter any other spouse as far as I can see.

James is shown in the 1841 Census with his brother Thomas (1773) - no Ann. In 1851 James (75) is with Ann (64) and children (Gtx2 Grandfather) GEORGE(20) & Mary (17).  James dies 1857.

In 1861 Ann (Widow) 70 now lives with GEORGE [Head]  & his new wife MARY ANN LAMPITT and their children Susannah & Walter.  Also living with them is Harriet Booth(1840),shown as Granddaughter but that can only be of Ann (Emanuel's child), not George who is only 30!

Then to add insult to injury Ann is described as "Wife's mother" -ie Lampitt.  This cannot be. If she is anything she is George's mother. This would at least mean Ann was indeed the mother of at least one, and likely all the children.

From the above you will pick up James' Yarwood children range as from 1822 - 1834.  Anns previous Booth child was 1816 .  So surely she became a Yarwood around the 1817-1821 time.  Can anyone help me pin this down, or indeed, show James married previously. Possibly his first wife died & he married Ann and she became step mother to his children.  This is pure conjecture of course but might be the answer.  I think it is all in the dates. 

If anyone can help I would be most pleased to hear from you via the Forum. 

Spiers,Westbury,Jee, Minett,Jones,Brotherton (Warwickshire)
Adams,Witts,Taylor,Overton Warwickshire/Worcestershire
Flyn (Galway,Ireland); Lampitt (Worcestershire); Twamley (Warwickshire)
Latham,Masefield (Warwicks/Staffs); Cunnington (Warwickshire/Beds)
Yarwood (Cheshire),Richardson(Yorkshire)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Yarwood & Ann Riley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 March 11 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Babtism 20th January 1788 at St Nicholas ,Liverpool
born 26th December 1787
Ann Riley - daughter of Samuel Riley and Sarah
abode Sparling Street
fathers occ   Sawyer

IF this is your Ann ...look out for Samuel as fathers name on marriage

allan
ADDED...keep this in your notes in case it is your James Yarwood
3rd May 1822 at Manchester Cathedral ...marriage of  James Yarwood to Charlotte Schofield
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline NoodlesRS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 11 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Have just read your replly (sorry for delay have been away) and am indebted to you for your detail on Ann's likely parentage.   Will check out Samuel as the father on marriage as you suggest. 

I have noted your comments re a posssible marriage for James Yarwood at Manchester and advise this was one of my own shortlists. I don't think it is my James but research is very much ongoing.

So thanks again for your contribution and will follow through as suggested.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 11 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Christenings,
Middlewich, Cheshire to JAMES/ANN Yarwood;
WILLIAM, 22 April 1810
JAMES, 15 October 1815
ANN, 14 September 1817
JOHN, 01 July 1821
THOMAS, 01 July 1821
(Source Familysearch Pilot)

Off to bed so cant try and find anything else at this stage.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline NoodlesRS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 11 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot Trish much appreciated.   I do have this information and in total there are 10 children would you believe all assigned to James Yarwood & Ann.   

What I can't reconcile is her having a child Emanuel Booth born 1816 who appears in Censuses with her as son, and later his own family and later still a mix of Yarwoods & Booths.  I know 7 of the Yarwood Children -starting 1817 up to 1834 - clearly appear with James & Ann as their family.  I even accept that Thomas (1821) -making the 8th - likely died which is why he does not appear.  But the two born prior to 1816 throw me.

That is William (1810) & James (1815). The time frame goes:  2 Yarwood children /1 Booth child (unknown Booth)/ 8 Yarwood children.  So did James have a previous marriage (hopefully to an Ann?), did Ann marry a Booth and have his child, or out of wedlock?.    I cannot find marriages to support which would help and have just about tried everything I can think of. Which is why I threw it open to see if someone can spot what I have missed -assuming it is there to be found.

Sorry to go one about it, but thanks for your help anyway.  I am sure the answer will be simple. One can hope anyway.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Quite a conundrum you have!
There are 2 possible Burials of a Ann YARWOOD in Cheshire on F/S Pilot in the right time-frame;
BURIAL, 11 June 1821, Warburton, Cheshire, Age 38
BURIAL, 13 December 1831, Alsager, Cheshire, Age 69

Could the 38 yr old be Ann no 1?
Born c 1783
Married c 1803
Children 1805-1817
James then takes up with or Married Ann Booth nee Riley

Trouble is I cant find Warburton on a Map to see if it is close to Middlewich ::)
I tried this old one without luck.
Not being a Cheshire expert is a problem for me.
Also James may have Married Ann 1 outside of Cheshire.
http://stubbsofnc.net/images/maps/kitchin_chs_1784.jpg

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Could this be Emanuel Father of Emanuel Booth 1816;
UK, Extracted Probate Records
about Booth, Emanuel
Text:    Booth, Emanuel, Sandbach, shopkeeper. A May 1824
Collection:    Cheshire & Lancashire: - Wils and Administrations, 1821-1825

Offline NoodlesRS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish, thanks once again for both contributions. Bear with me as I cannot get too embroiled today as we have visitors, but will check out your latest information tomorrow.  The answer is in there somewhere I'm sure..he says hopefully!

Offline NoodlesRS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Just had time to check out Warburton as not a Cheshire man myself.  I found it via Google & then back to your map.  Warburton you can just make out right on the northern border slightly to the left of Altrincham, just in Cheshire, but on the Lancs border.   Not sure of distance, but a fair stride from Middlewich; for that time anyway.   More later