Author Topic: John EVANS/Margaret CAMPBELL  (Read 7250 times)

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We build our pedigrees based on the proofs we find
    • View Profile
John EVANS/Margaret CAMPBELL
« on: Saturday 05 March 11 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on Margaret nee Campbell and John Evans they married in Geelong and farmed in the Derrinallum area of Victoria and are buried in Lismore Victoria. They were know to have the following children; John, henry, Susan, Mary Anne, Charolette, Elizabeth and Margaret. Any info would be helpful.

Fran ::)
Brooker, Creagh Curran, Ellingsen, Evans, Hatton, Ryan, Slade, Campbell, Flett

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Evans/Campbell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 March 11 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fran, Without any year of arrival in Victoria to go on it would be a bit difficult to work out the correct family. The Newspapers here may offer some assistance in family notices. For early records the Melbourne Argus from around 1849 on may be the best help. If you can post dates of known information someone may be able to find the particular family.
Neil

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

http://www.camperdownhistory.org.au/research.html
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Evans/Campbell
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 March 11 00:28 GMT (UK) »
When you say you are looking for information, is there something specific, such as marriage or birth details you are needing.

It may save time for helpers if we know what isalready in hand and what sources you have explored.

:D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John EVANS/Margaret CAMPBELL
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 March 11 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Their burials at Lismore - detailed to help find other records.

EVANS, John  born c1837 and died 8 Mar 1884 - Husband of Margaret
EVANS Margaret  born c1842 and died 11 Sep 1924 - Wife of John

Their marriage
EVANS John
CAMPBELL Margaret
1864  Reg#2943

This certificate would help you with their ages and places of birth and the names of their parents.
You can purchase an image online [$17.50] and immediately download
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

Information on all certificates in Victoria
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

Deaths
EVANS John
Father Wm  Mother Hanie QUOCEE
47 years  at Lismore  1884  Reg#1750

EVANS Margaret
Parents unknown
At Kew  83 years  1924  Reg#10456

Their death certificates should note the years in Australia which if accurate may help you find them on shipping records.

The children and their years of birth...a little different to the order given by you. All born at Darlington.

EVANS Susan  1865  Reg#21908
EVANS Mary Ann  1867  Reg#21636
EVANS Elizabeth  1870  Reg#15563
EVANS Margaret  1871  Reg#23055
EVANS John Johnstone  1873  Reg#16339
EVANS Charlotte  1875  Reg#22224
EVANS Henry Francis  1878  Reg#8369

Advertisement - John EVANS, Derrinallum
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0c4z/

On 26 Jan 1884 a John EVANS of Derrinallum advertised the lease of his land by tender for ten years.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0c4x/

Advertisement re his estate
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0c4y/

Estate - Leased land to let
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0c50/

If you purchase some certs with John and Margaret's place of birth and parents, we can then hopefully find them on census prior to emigration.

Cheers  :)
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 March 11 03:52 GMT (UK) »
A few snippets -

PROV has a digiitsed will for Margaret EVANS died 11 September 1924, widow, of Derrinallum, Victoria.  She leaves all to her two daughters Margaret and Charlotte.

http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/access/probate.asp

NLA newspapers has an account of a fire which competely destryed a house owned by Mrs Evans and Sons in Derinallum in 1904.  Mrs Evans was visiting her brother Mr J Campbell "who lives a few chains down the street" at the time of the fire.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/30355252?searchTerm=evans%20lismore&searchLimits=exactPhrase

The death of Charlotte is mentioned in the Camperdown Chronicle  Friday 19 May 1944, stating that her parents were pioneers of the district.

An article on the selection of land at Lismore and Koort Koort Nong in 1865 gives the name of a John Russell Evans, contractor of Melbourne
The Argus, Friday 9 June 1865
Edit to add - this is not the right chap as there is a marriage for John Russell EVANS in 1865 to Sarah Mckeirnin

Cheers, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 March 11 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all, yes they were M in Geelong @ ST MARY'S  Catholic Church29 Aug  1864, marriage certificate states that
Margarets parents were a Owen and Susan Campbell (no dates) Johns parents were  a William Evans and a Anne Keohan. It also tells me that Margaret was from Rosscommon and that John came from Co. Fermanagh. John was born in abt 1838 d. 1884 and Margaret abt 1842 d. 1924. They are both buried at Lismore Cemetery Victoria. There is a plot obtained by a Mrs Evans for a Mrs Campbell? at Lismore... There is a Grave of the Evans is still in good condition it stands up right abutting  the  Grave of Margaret and John Evans is a Grave which states Henry Evan 1941, according to cemetery records within this grave is Charlotte d. 1944 & Margaret Evans jun d.1954. The first born child Susan was born at Larra Station Darlington area...

Thanks,

Fran

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 March 11 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on Margaret nee Campbell and John Evans they married in Geelong and farmed in the Derrinallum area of Victoria and are buried in Lismore Victoria. They were know to have the following children; John, henry, Susan, Mary Anne, Charolette, Elizabeth and Margaret. Any info would be helpful.

Fran ::)

Thank you all, yes they were M in Geelong @ ST MARY'S  Catholic Church29 Aug  1864, marriage certificate states that
Margarets parents were a Owen and Susan Campbell (no dates) Johns parents were  a William Evans and a Anne Keohan. It also tells me that Margaret was from Rosscommon and that John came from Co. Fermanagh. John was born in abt 1838 d. 1884 and Margaret abt 1842 d. 1924. They are both buried at Lismore Cemetery Victoria. There is a plot obtained by a Mrs Evans for a Mrs Campbell? at Lismore... There is a Grave of the Evans is still in good condition it stands up right abutting  the  Grave of Margaret and John Evans is a Grave which states Henry Evan 1941, according to cemetery records within this grave is Charlotte d. 1944 & Margaret Evans jun d.1954. The first born child Susan was born at Larra Station Darlington area...

Thanks,

Fran

Fran I am wondering what other information you are seeking as you mention Any info would be helpful

Cheers  :)
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 March 11 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
  Yes the info I put up is all I have on my Evans/Campbells.
I would really like to go further finding out more on both Margaret Evans and John Evan's parents , as I mentioned Margaret was born in Rosscommon and John was born in Fermanagh Ireland. I believe that John's parents were: William Evans and a Anne Keohan where Margret's mother is a Susan with no maiden name given and her father is said to of been a Owen Campbell.
These names were on there marriage certificate of Margaret nee Campbell and John Evans so i am presuming that they are correct but as you know spelling may be wrong ,witness were a Catherine and a John Bolger which gives no clues.
I am hoping to get some clue as to where in both theses counties they lived. I cannot place a family of Campbells in the shipping records as i have no idea when they may of entered in Australia! Margaret could of migrated separately, but I did find a record at the Lismore cemetery that stated a Mrs Evan's purchased a plot for a Mrs Campbell... Where as John Evans I also have no clues of his entry into the country nor his family ???

Regards,

Fran

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 March 11 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Also this is my Margaret Evans who died at Kew mental hospital of TB!
 EVANS Margaret
Parents unknown
At Kew  83 years  1924  Reg#10456

The following were her children:
EVANS Susan  1865  Reg#21908
EVANS Mary Ann  1867  Reg#21636
EVANS Elizabeth  1870  Reg#15563
EVANS Margaret  1871  Reg#23055
EVANS John Johnstone  1873  Reg#16339
EVANS Charlotte  1875  Reg#22224
EVANS Henry Francis  1878  Reg#8369

My line is Mary Ann Evans, I can trace her sister Susan Evans to Werribbee she m a John Darlymple, but the others never married as far as I know. The three younger Evans females were named in both their Mothers and Fathers wills, also were the two males. The wills give me no clues on where in Ireland they came other than the counties.

Fran :-[