Author Topic: On finding the real EDWARD ASHWIN!  (Read 40692 times)

Offline Tiki1962

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On finding the real EDWARD ASHWIN!
« Reply #45 on: Monday 17 September 12 06:56 BST (UK) »
How lucky are you! So many people interested in the family history and the ability to share notes.  :)
Robinson New Zealand/ Ireland
Lynch England/Ireland
Huett New Zealand/India
Kennedy Durham, England
Lord England
Daffern England

Offline macash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 17 September 12 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,                                                                                                                                               
 I’m back again…..I hope I don’t confuse you with all the questions, new info. etc!!!! however it’s so exciting to have found some new cousins and be able to compare family stories.       
 Yes, you are right, I am in Australia. I was in Ballarat last November and found the grave of Alfred & Susannah Ashwin. There is no plaque tho’ so I had thought I might get one. They deserve to be acknowledged I think.                                                                                                                   
 My Mum used to correspond with Arthur’s grand- daughter, Alice, but she died and we’ve lost touch with the family. Arthur’s son Alf., (Alice’s father), lived with my g grandfather Frank Yardington’s family in Horsham for several years, until Frank took him back to his father in West. Aust.  Did you know that Alf’s wife was French? I think he met her during WW1. Arthur’s book is called ‘Grass to Gold’. Part of the book is about how he was in the party to take the first mob of cattle overland from South Aust. to Darwin. There is a main  street in Alice Springs named after him.                                                                                         
 Do you have any photos of any of our ancestors? There are lots of references to your Edward Marsten, and his father Alfred Jenkin in the Adelaide papers, which are online. Also references to Charles Ashwin, Alfred Jenkin’s brother who lived in Adelaide too.               
 Alfred’s two little boys, Edward (4y.o.) & Alfred (6y.o.), came out to Adelaide on a different ship from their father, and arrived just before their father married Susannah Birch in 1950.
 Hope all this is not too confusing!!                                                                                                  Beth                                                                                                                                                         
 By the way, I’m so pleased Kate wanted to find out about Edward Ashwin!!

Offline semaphore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 17 September 12 15:17 BST (UK) »
I have just succeeded in ordering on line Arthur's book, which I discovered at the same time was called 'Gold to Grass'. I am so excited! I wanted to buy two copies so I could give one to my first cousin who has invited us for Christmas dinner. At the same time I discovered one could order a copy of an interview with Robin Ashwin who is my father's godson and who has had a distinguished diplomatic career. I believe he is back in Adelaide and in view of the fact that he's is a good deal older than I, I really must try to contact him on this visit.He is the descendant of Charles Ashwin, Alfred's brother whom you mention.Charles Francis Godrey was born in 1816. He married Caroline Amelia, daughter of Joseph Reece of Essex and had 3 children: 1)Caroline Grace 2) Godfrey Napier, married Mabel Rosa Gibson and had a son Edward Manley 3) Charles Stephenson married Eliza Sarah Joy ? and had a son Eric Charles Godfrey who went back to signing his name Ashewynne. He had a son Eric Charles Francis Godfrey born 19 October 1890. He married Mary de Quetteville (there is a de Quetteville terrace in Adelade), daughter of Rowland Barbeuson Robin (hence the name Robin). They had two sons, Philip Manley born 5 September 1929, married Patricia Mary Ann Russell and had a number of children, and Charles Robin who married OchChe of Seoul and had a son and a daughter.
Alfred Jenkin and Charles Francis Godfrey had 5 brothers and sisters. George Thomas, born 1811, Charlotte Grace born 1809 were both older, and then after came Caroline born 22 January 1818, died at Cheltenham unmarried, Fanny Ellen Eliza born 21 August 1021, died 22 May 1834 and William Manley born 11 February 1825 lived with his aunts in Cheltenham and all trace of him was lost.
Indeed Alfred and Susannah's grave must have a plaque. Tell me how you fare with that. My grandmother, Ethel Maud, is in the Mitcham cemetery which was fairly newly opened when she died and she is surrounded by her old Adelaide friends.The rest of the Ashwins are in the West Terrace cemetery which is close to the centre of the city, being one of the first ones built. Ethel was exceptionally beautiful and in fact my father met a man who said she was considered the most beautiful girl in Adelaide. She was very vain and had a high opinion of herself I have heard. She was much photographed in wonderful dresses but I need some technological help to get these onto the site to show you! She had a very active social life I gather, balls, parties non stop and she also won medals for lifesaving, being a great swimmer, a skill my father inherited,  but sadly not I! It may have had something to do with the fact that her father had built his house right on the seafront. She also spent a lot of time in India, especially when her brother, Malcolm was there, and she was an avid traveller, something my cousin Janet and I have inherited. It must have been a very great change for her to find herself a vicar's wife deep in the Enhlish countryside at the rather isolated parish of Thorneyburn, far from the sea and within sight of Hadrien's wall.
You have told me so many things! I had no idea there was a street named after Arthur in Alice Springs. I have been there a couple of times and my cousin Janet very often. What is the street called exactly...my daughter will have a look at Christmas when she is there.
Tell me what else you would like to know.
Best wishes, Susan

Offline macash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 12:57 BST (UK) »

Hi Susan,
Great to receive your info. this a.m. We have similar info. to you, but not so much detail with dates etc. and we don’t have spouse names. I wonder who compiled the original chart!!

I made a couple of errors with Arthur’s book as I confused the title, and also that he took sheep not cattle to Darwin. The street in A. Springs is just called ‘Ashwin street’ and is off ‘Milner road’. Ralph Milner was the leader of the expedition until he was killed by ‘blacks’…then Arthur became 2nd.in charge. However, you will read all this when you get the book. I think the first 28 pages are the most interesting as far as family history info. is concerned. You will find that he writes phonetically, probably because he wasn’t a very keen scholar I think. There is a photo of Arthur, his father Alf. Jenkin and his son Alf. Some of the facts included by the editor are incorrect, e.g. genealogy chart, but I can advise you on these when you have the book. There are some other clarifications with name, dates etc. that my mother has told me also.                                                                                         

You have a question mark with the wife of Charles Stephenson Ashwin, i.e. Sarah Eliza Joy ? When I saw the notice of their marriage, it shows her surname as being ’Joy’, and they were married in Coburg, Melbourne in 1889. I found this info. at  www.trove.nla.gov.au There are lots of references to Ashwins in the Adelaide papers as well as the ‘Argus’ from Melbourne.       

Beth

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Beth and Susan,
I am really enjoying your conversation. I hadn't realised that the Ashwins had been so prominent in South Australia and had achieved so very much. Arthur's book 'Gold to Grass' sounds most interesting and well worth a read. My branch of Ashwins emigrated to new Zealand in 1863 as I have mentioned previously - and started quite a little population of their own by having 18 children. The Ashwins on the whole have done quite a bit for this southern hemisphere of ours. As Susan and I have mentioned we share the same 5xGGrandfather -I guess I have a similar connection way back with you as well. Fascinating I think

Glad you two have met - it is so very exciting to find connections - I just love this site.

Hope your daughter's wedding went well Susan.

Regards
Kate
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline Emhab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 20 October 12 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hello to all the descendants using these pages to learn about our Ashwin ancestors, and what they got up to. Our line of descent is through Martin Richard and Emma Priscilla's son D'arcy Durham Ashwin, who married Grannie Eva Tasmania Lindberg. They had 3 children, Ida, Connie and Carl Martin, before D'arcy died when 35yrs old.
Carl , who was a builder in Auckland, was my husband's father. My husband died in 1981.
I'm the genealogist in the family, and often used to quiz Carl about the Ashwin family history and he told me that it had been passed down through the family that the Ashwins were somehow linked to a Royal Court (possibly Swedish) away back in the mists of time. I have never been able to find any link, and so was fascinated to read about the 7th Century King Aescwine of Wessex and Bretfortin on these pages.....
Carl's family didn't seem to visit Ashwin cousins, apart from his sister's families, so we were never aware of the huge family he was a part of.
It is great to know that there are relatives in Australia, (we are in WA) as well as NZ. I am doing the family tree for my daughter & grandkids.
Kind regards to all
Marie

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 22 October 12 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Emhab,
Welcome to Rootschat - I see this is your first post! I have found this site simply amazing. I too like you have learned a great deal about the Ashwins from this site alone. Like you also I am compiling the family tree for my children and grandchildren.

My Ashwin line descends through Esther Alexandra Cunningingham Ashwin born 1864 - Martin and Emma's first child born after their arrival in NZ. Unfortunately as I grew up in Sydney I never got to meet Esther Alexandra and I only met my grandmother - Esther's daughter Daisy Gover  - twice before she died. Hence I have really no first hand knowledge of family history. My father - Daisy's son - died when I was only twelve so I was too young then to think much about family history. My understanding however has been greatly helped by my two first cousins who live in NZ and Rootschat.

The Martin/Emma Ashwin family now is certainly very widespread - particularly with them having 18 children. I still live in NSW with my husband.

I just love the name of your husband's Grandmother  - Grannie Eva Tasmania -it  must have had some significance to her family!

Lovely to make contact with you - and does everything here on this site correlate with what you know?

Regards
Kate
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline Emhab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 26 October 12 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate
 I did a bit of research while at work on Monday (I work at the WA Genealogical Society Library each Monday helping beginners learn the ropes to researching their families) and found your Gt Grandmother's birth entry from the newspaper published on the Akaroa Peninsula/Lyttleton area. It was quaintly worded as follows & appeared on 30th April 1864. " Ashwin - April 29th at Heathfield Cottage, Ferry Road, the wife of M.R. Ashwin, of a daughter." Yet when I checked the BDMs, & printed off a list of all the Ashwin births since 1863, her birth did not appear!!!! I will do more checking in case it was registered under another name - like Cunningham. Some strange things happened with registrations back then.
Another quaint entry was for Elizabeth Ashwin (nee Wheeler's) death, which appeared on 23rd August 1880 as follows: " Ashwin - At Hagley House, Christchurch, on Sunday 22nd August, Elizabeth, relict of Edwin Ashwin, of Cookhill House, Gloucestershire. Aged 84yrs."
The word "relict" is an archaic word for a widow. I also found the deaths of Marion & Helen if you would like them, plus the detail of why Leonard Ashwin was jailed for manslaughter. If you would like that, I will type it out in another message. I found heaps more, but not enought time to detail it all now. Certainly a fascinating family to research - their story would make a good movie!!!

Will talk again soon
Kind regards
Marie

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 26 October 12 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie,
It is midnight here and I thought I would check my emails before going off to bed. Lovely to hear from you and all your information on the Ashwins - and I am very interested.  I am however away in Sydney tomorrow so just wanted to let you know I will reply in more detail on Sunday.

Kind regards
Kate