Author Topic: 1841 Census look-up please- HAYES  (Read 1555 times)

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 Census look-up please- HAYES
« on: Sunday 20 March 11 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Could someone kindly look up the following family. Ages estimated for 1841.

William Sumshon Hayes       35 y               Earthenware Dealer   

Celia Clarissa                    35y 

William                               4y

Alfred                               1y

Living in Holborn in 1851

BENNETT, Acton, Staffs. DAVIES, Pwhelli, Wales. DODD, Bunbury, Northwich, Cheshire. Oldham, Lancs. FIELDING, Glossop, Derby. FOULKES, Denbigh. HAMSON, Leek, Staffs. HANNAFORD, Marlborough, Devon. HAYES, Woodbridge, Suffolk. HUTTON, Stapleton, Bristol. LLOYD, Denbigh,Wales. Collyhurst, Manchester. MILLER, Greenwich, Kent. PARKER, Sibsey, Lincolnshire. Manchester. REVITT, Manchester, and SYKES, Rastrick, Yorks, and Oldham.

Any census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census look-up please- HAYES
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 11 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

I cannot seem to find this family together in 1841 ::)

So here is what I have found - info so far:-

Married by Banns - William Sumshon Hayes widower and Celia Clarissa Cheese spinster 25th Feb 1836 - Parish St Mary Le Bow - Witness Sarah Bell and John Kinder Cheese

Baptism William Hayes 22 May 1837 - Father William Sumshon Hayes Mother Celia Clarissa Hayes - Parish St Andrew Holborn Born 10 May 1837 - Abode Farringdon St - Trade I think it reads Silversmith

Baptism Alfred Hayes 9 Feb 1842 - Parents as above - Parish St Andrew Holborn - Born Jan 16 1842 - Abode 58 Farringdon St - Trade I think reads Salesman

1851 census HO107 1527 137 3 - Civil Parish Holborn St Andrew - Living at 58 Farringdon St

1861 census RG9 218 4 2 - Civil Parish St Andrew Holborn - Living at 58 Farringdon St
Celia Clarisa Hayes Widow 56 Aylesbury Bucks - Glass Dealer
William son 23 London City - Glass Dealer
Alfred son 19 as above
Maria Rinder Niece 42 Bow
and also living in this household is a servant

So they appear to have remained at Farringdon St  - so maybe this could be William Hayes in 1841 - H0107 724 1 - Civil Parish St Andrews - Living at 58/59 Farringdon St

William Hayes 38  - I think it reads Jeweller
Thos Taylor 21
Mary Hayes 38
Eliza Dyer 20 All born in County

However, if this is your William Hayes, then where is Celia and William with their son because I have been unable to find them ???

Anyway could be something and nothing but thought that I would post what I have found.

Regards

Z :)

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 March 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Z,
Thanks for your time and effort in researching William Sumshon HAYES and family.

I was aware of the marriage date of William and Clarissa, but did not know that it was his 2nd marriage!

If the 1841 look-up is correct, and it would seem to be the correct address, as you say - where are Clarissa and young William? It is very strange.

Is there any indication of the relationship between Mary Hayes and William on the 1841 census, as I have never come across her name. Is it not usual to have the ages rounded off in 1841?

If William and his 1st wife had a daughter called Ann b 1829 and age 12 in 1841. This would explain the mysterious child with grandmother Ann Hayes, 70, who appears with William Miller and family in Circus Street, Greenwich. HO 107/489/9/15

Sarah Maria Miller was the sister of William Sumshon Hayes.

This querie poses more questions than it does answers ??? ???

Regards,
Chris
BENNETT, Acton, Staffs. DAVIES, Pwhelli, Wales. DODD, Bunbury, Northwich, Cheshire. Oldham, Lancs. FIELDING, Glossop, Derby. FOULKES, Denbigh. HAMSON, Leek, Staffs. HANNAFORD, Marlborough, Devon. HAYES, Woodbridge, Suffolk. HUTTON, Stapleton, Bristol. LLOYD, Denbigh,Wales. Collyhurst, Manchester. MILLER, Greenwich, Kent. PARKER, Sibsey, Lincolnshire. Manchester. REVITT, Manchester, and SYKES, Rastrick, Yorks, and Oldham.

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 March 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Married by Banns - William Sumshon Hayes and Ann Lawrance 29 June 1830 - Parish St Andrew Holborn - Witness W Hayes and Sarah Hayes

Am off to bed now but will see if I can find a bit more tomorrow if that's ok

All the best

To add - the 1841 does not give the relationship so I am not quite sure who Mary is! And yes you are right they did round down the ages in 1841 - the age of persons over 15 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 09:07 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Chris

Unfortunately I cannot add any more info on William Sumshon Hayes and Ann Lawrance, and I cannot find anything conclusive for a birth/baptsim for an Ann b 1829 to this couple, I had a look to see whether I could find a marriage for Ann and maybe she would list her father as William Sumshon Hayes, but no luck I'm afraid, so perhaps another Rootschatter will be able to help you with this.

I am a little confused though and maybe I have the wrong family but in 1841 HO107 489 9 Folio 15 Civil Parish Greenwich - living at I think Royal Circus St

Sarah Hayes 70 Ind
Ann Hayes 12
Edward Miller 30 Bricklayer
Sarah Miller 30
Ann Miller 5
Maria 3

Not sure whether you have this and maybe it will help but Celia Clarissa Hayes left a will - Death date 4 Jan 1871 -  Probate date 9 July 1872 - Effects under £450 - Celia Clarissa Hayes late of 58 Farringdon St widow Principal Registry to William Hayes of 58 Farringdon St China Dealer the son and next of Kin.

Anyway best be off - all the best and good luck with your search

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Had to add that I note with interest that there are quite a few mentions of a William Sumshon Hayes on www.oldbaileyonline. There are a couple of accounts which has him listed at Farringdon St!!! Of one in particular, somebody had stolen 10 pairs of trousers that belonged to him!!! Also there is another account of a John Holbrook indicted for stealing and a Daniel Dyer (shopman to William Sumshon Hayes, a general dealer, in Farringdon St) giving evidence, now there was an Eliz Dyer in the 1841 census!!

Apologies if you know this already - but thought it worth a mention.

Regards

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Z,

You have found the correct family in 1841 - young Ann Hayes , 12, living with the Miller's in Greenwich.

It is interesting what you have discovered about the will of Celia Clarissa Hayes , and also the details of the theft from William Sumshon Hayes. Unfortunately, I can't access the Old Bailey site as it is down at the moment. I will try again later.

Thanks to you I have now found out a few more snippets of information. :D

Regards,
Chris

Ps  Ann is no longer living with the Miller's in 1851. She may have married by then, of course.