Author Topic: Carpenters and Joiners Union? circa 1850/1860  (Read 9455 times)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Carpenters and Joiners Union? circa 1850/1860
« on: Monday 21 March 11 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Does any one know anything about an organisation called "The Carpenters & Joiners Societies of Manchester & Salford District"?

It is a trade union perhaps?  The closest I seem to be able to find is the is "The Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners" but that is a large national organisation so I don't think its connected.

Thanks for any help.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Carpenters and Joiners Union? circa 1850/1860
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the Trade Union 'family trees' on the Union Ancestors website

http://www.unionancestors.co.uk

I suspect your Carpenters & Joiners will be a local branch of one of the Friendly Societies on the UCATT family tree:

http://www.unionancestors.co.uk/Images/UCATTFamTree.pdf

My dad was in NUFTO - National Union of Furniture Trade Operatives - they don't make acronyms like they used to!  ;D

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Sounds to me like an area or regional branch of the national body. It became the Associated Society of Woodworkers and Allied Trades before becoming part of the modern UCATT. This was in the late 1960s.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Luzzu....I am a Joiner...our Union was
The Amalgamated Society of Woodworkers and Painters
known as The  AWP....this was integrated into UCATT in 1970
that sounds to me like a possible branch to help as a Charity...maybe help homeless children etc...
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :D,

Thanks for all your replies.

What we are trying to do is, as a result of the Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project we have come across a stone for Henry Lennard which reads:-

Sacred to the memory of
Henry Lennard
who died March 12th 1868
aged 44 years
Erected by the
Carpenters & Joiners Societies
of Manchester & Salford District
as a tribute to untiring energy
and ???ess zeal exerted
??????

We can't make out all of the words.

Cancan and I thought it might be nice to find out what he had done which must have been something fairly significant and then include him on our Notable Burials section on the project website:-

http://mgctp.moonfruit.com/

So far all we have managed to find out is that he was born in Lythe, Yorkshire on 18 Mar 1825.  In 1851 he was living at Walker Street, Broughton and was a journeyman joiner and in 1861 he was living at Collier Street, Salford and he was recorded as a joiner.  He came to Manchester between 1841 and 1851 as in 1841 he was still in Yorkshire as an apprentice joiner.  His wife was called Ann (maybe Castle or Frankish) as there is a possible marriage in 1846 in Hull that might be the right one.

A branch working as a charity makes sense but we wonder what he did to have them erect a tombstone in his memory.

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch -Advanced Search has
16th Feb 1846 at Holy Trinity Church,Kingston Upon Hull
Henry Leonard to Ann Frankish
Henrys father was George Leonard...does that tally with his fathers name at Henrys birth in 1825 ?
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes that looks good.  Family Search has his baptism (should have said baptism rather than birth on previous post) on 18 May 1825 in Lythe, parents George Lennard and Anne.

Luzzu  :D

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 13:29 GMT (UK) »
I would think he was an activist who worked hard to build up the Trade Union to protect the conditions of the members. I wonder whether he was involved in the Chartist movement active in 1848?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)