Author Topic: "Heir Hunters" TV program #2  (Read 17989 times)

Offline LordOfKent

• RootsChat Member
  • LordOfKent from the Garden Of England.
    • View Profile
"Heir Hunters" TV program #2
« on: Wednesday 16 March 11 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi thought I would start the ball rolling again.

In I think it was yesterdays program, the one featuring the German POW, I found that particularly interesting as my former father in law was in this category. And like the featured person he didn't want to talk about it really. He stayed in England and married an English woman and settle down and had a family.

He died a few years ago and we were wondering about tracing his record while he was a prisoner, we have very little info about that time of his life, so any pointers as to where to look, or who to contact please?

John
Cambridgeshire - Garrad
Kent - Church, Harman, Longhurst, Lord, Turner, Washer, Weston
London - Lord, Sawtell
Oxfordshire - Crawford, Lord
Somerset - Sawtell
Suffolk - Garrad
Surrey - Harman, Lord, Sawtell, Turner
Sussex - Carter, Weston

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Heir Hunters The Next Post
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 22:36 GMT (UK) »
There is a National Archives Research Guide Second World War 1939-1945: prisoners in British hands at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/pow-displaced-persons.htm#16253

Stan

Offline Eking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 March 11 17:56 GMT (UK) »
been catching up with some of last weeks episodes

did anyone notice the product placement ?  Sarsons vinegar on Tony's desk,  fish and chips lunches ?

a HH question - what did Lord Teviot mean when he said he picked up a case 12 years old - he said it was coming up to the time when there was no interest.  Did he mean no interest from other HH's or no more interest on the money ?  Is interest paid on any money in bank accounts ?

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 March 11 19:18 GMT (UK) »
been catching up with some of last weeks episodes

did anyone notice the product placement ?  Sarsons vinegar on Tony's desk,  fish and chips lunches ?

a HH question - what did Lord Teviot mean when he said he picked up a case 12 years old - he said it was coming up to the time when there was no interest.  Did he mean no interest from other HH's or no more interest on the money ?  Is interest paid on any money in bank accounts ?

I took it to mean no more interest from other HH companies (ie they would have given up by then) and therefore he could pursue it at a more leisurely pace with less risk of the dreaded "competition"
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline LordOfKent

• RootsChat Member
  • LordOfKent from the Garden Of England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 11 23:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a National Archives Research Guide Second World War 1939-1945: prisoners in British hands at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/pow-displaced-persons.htm#16253

Stan

Thanks for that Stan I've bookmarked that for further research.

John
Cambridgeshire - Garrad
Kent - Church, Harman, Longhurst, Lord, Turner, Washer, Weston
London - Lord, Sawtell
Oxfordshire - Crawford, Lord
Somerset - Sawtell
Suffolk - Garrad
Surrey - Harman, Lord, Sawtell, Turner
Sussex - Carter, Weston

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 March 11 08:59 GMT (UK) »
I have taken to recording each day and watching at leisure at weekends. There was a recent episode that confused me. I was always under the impression that heirs had to be bloodlines.

The case in question was the school that closed down and the land (or money from the sale of the land) had to go back to the original family's descendants. This being the usual proviso during the Victorian Era when a rich person donated land for benefit of the poor, it prevented anyone selling up and pocketing the proceeds..

If I am not mistake one of the people who benefitted was the godson of one line. I think he had been found via the will of the Lady who had named him as a main beneficianary on her death, which is how F&F found him.

Jean

McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 11 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm no expert but I believe that the bloodline rules only kick in when the deceased does not leave a will

I think the logic in the case you mentioned is

go back to the people who donated the land

trace who they left their estates to (may not be blood relatives)

keep following down the lines in this way until you find people who are still alive

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 11 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Linda,

hadn't thought of it like that.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Today's programme - the F & F case - did I miss something? (If you've still to watch sorry to spoil it, so I'll leave a gap)

The brother seemed to have been eliminated as untraceable rather than what had happened to him being established - bit surprised that would satisfy the Treasury Solicitor or have I missed something? (I'd assume insurance would be essential for this one, anyway). It seemed sad that the stepfamily knew there'd been a will, but somehow it had disappeared when the solicitor had gone under - I thought the Law Society were supposed to ensure that client records were passed on to another firm?