Author Topic: Lanaghan  (Read 1125 times)

Offline charlie55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Lanaghan
« on: Friday 22 April 05 09:26 BST (UK) »
I have a Mary Lanaghan who celebrated her birthday on 7 May and believed she was born in 1913. She was an Irish Catholic. Mary was severely disabed by poliomyelitis.

Mary and one or two brothers spent much of their time in care and she was not sure of her roots. It is thought she may have been born in "Tydavel" or "Clogher" but I don't know where or what these are!

Mary moved to England at some point in her life.

I know this is very weak information but if anyone can help with the search for Mary's roots, I would be more than grateful.

Offline saz1401

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lanaghan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 April 05 15:17 BST (UK) »
Clogher is a town in county armagh - the following link gives town/county info:-
http://www.parcelstoireland.co.uk/noFlash/townTY.html
Might give you an idea of where to start looking!
antrim, donegore, ballycraigy, doagh, ballysavage,  carnmoney, ballyhenry, belfast, mallusk, hydepark names - twigg, gault, robinson, stevenson, todd, kirkpatrick, porter, mayne, topping, McDowell, douglas

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 April 05 23:30 BST (UK) »
Clogher is a town in county armagh - the following link gives town/county info:-
http://www.parcelstoireland.co.uk/noFlash/townTY.html
Might give you an idea of where to start looking!

Very good. Rule 1. Do not believe all you read. If that site contains this one mistake I wonder how other mistakes you will find there. I have lived the greater part of my life in the north of Ireland. First I travelled round the area extensively as a commercial traveller and later travelled extensively round all of Ireland with a travelling circus.

Clogher is a town in Co. Tyrone, not Co. Armagh. 

Offline saz1401

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 April 05 22:52 BST (UK) »
Many apologies Chris - I didn't intend to give wrong information.
I thought the link, found elsewhere on the site, might be helpful!
antrim, donegore, ballycraigy, doagh, ballysavage,  carnmoney, ballyhenry, belfast, mallusk, hydepark names - twigg, gault, robinson, stevenson, todd, kirkpatrick, porter, mayne, topping, McDowell, douglas

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 May 05 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think the best thing would be to establish where she was born. Go to the Irish birth indexes available at your local family history centre.

There are very many Clogher townlands in Ireland. See http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/
from Antrim to Cork including a town in Tyrone. Don't see anything close to Tydavel though.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline charlie55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 May 05 09:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that I will try and find her birth. I was not aware the Irish birth indexes were available at FHS.