Author Topic: John Macleod born mid to late 1700's  (Read 819 times)

Offline Bianca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Macleod born mid to late 1700's
« on: Friday 22 April 05 10:59 BST (UK) »
Anyone with info about John Macleod born on Isle of Skye mid to late 1700's?
I know he was married to Catherine nee Nicholson and had at least one daughter Catherine, born 1797.
Who were John's parents and grandparents etc?
John Macleod born mid to late 1700's on Isle of Skye married Catherine nee Nicholson.
Daughter of above, Catherine born 1797 to ?Who? Buchanan.
Any info or ancestry previous to the above John Macleod or Catherine Nicholson needed please.

Also, looking for info on James David Crowley's (b 13.11.1837, Kilbritain, Co Cork) parents David and Catherine nee Meghan that had 7 children - Johanna, Lin?, James, David, Daniel, Catherine and Dennis.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Macleod born late 1600's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 April 05 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Bianca,

Welcome to RootsChat.

I'm afraid I cannot help you directly with your query.  The parish registers for baptisms on Skye don't seem to begin until the 1800s, so unless there is some other source for this information, it could be difficult. 

In order for others to have a chance, can you clarify the dates.  I know it is possible, but I can't get my head round a daughter born in 1797 to a chap who was born in the late 1600s.  :-\  What was the source for your information?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Macleod born late 1600's
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 April 05 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Bianca,

I can't help you directly either and this is probably way off line.  But having read Little Nell's post on the difficulty in obtaining Parish Records for the time period I thought I might mention the book "Sea Room" by Adam Nicholson which I have just finished - v. interesting. 

It is non-fiction work about the Shiant Islands and the surrounding area/islands history and development and the families who settled and lived there (as well as geology, ornithology, fishing,  trade etc).  Although I guess they are very common names he does talk quite a bit about the Nicholson and Macleod families and their history in the region.

Even if it doesn't help much in your immediate research, it's a great book - you can download a sample chapter from the website: http://www.shiantisles.net/searoom/

Sorry couldn't be more help.

Best of luck
Jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk