Author Topic: Elizabeth TUTTON, born Dundry 1790  (Read 7106 times)

Offline bossyrozzy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth TUTTON, born Dundry 1790
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 January 15 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Jon
The ELIZABETH TUTTON born in DUNDRY, 1790 is the child not the mother in my family tree. 1790 ELIZABETH married Thomas Cox. I am descended from them. He was from Whitchurch.  They and their descendants moved into Bishport (Bishopsworth) and then Bedminster, now part of Bristol. She was still alive in 1861. I know people get their ages wrong and sometimes I wonder if they're just guessing. It is the mother, Elizabeth senior, that I cannot find anything else about. Tutton seems to be more common further South in Somerset, especially around Wedmore, and you may well be right about ancestors in common. If I find Elizabeth senior I'll post the information here.  Thank you again.
Ros

Offline Jon Parker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 February 15 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I understand that

Elizabeth Tutton b.1790 Married Thomas Cox at St James Bristol. In 1851 was living in Bedminster, died 1875 in Bristol aged 85.

I am referring to her mother, also Elizabeth Tutton, sentenced to seven years in New South Wales for Larceny, departed on convict ship Canada March 1810, arrived New South Wales 8th Sept 1810 with 121 other female convicts, 2 of whom died on the way. Did her time, stayed on and married in New South Wales after nine years on her own, stayed in Australia. Denied having any children in Britain

Offline Jon Parker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 February 15 08:51 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how but either way it looks like we are related. Hi cuz. :)

Offline Jon Parker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 February 15 08:55 GMT (UK) »
This is a link to the passenger manifest:

http://www.convictrecords.com.au/ships/canada/1810

Offline Jon Parker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 February 15 09:00 GMT (UK) »
She was tried at the Somerset Quarter Sessions on the 9th September 1809

Offline bossyrozzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Jon
Sorry I'm late responding. I am well behind with emails. When I looked on the Ancestry.au site the age given for the Elizabeth TUTTON in New South Wales was only 2 years different from the daughter. This is what I found in one of the family trees there:
Timeline
Birth
Somerset. England
Transportation
8 Sep
Arrived in Sydney aboard the convict vessel "Canada"
Marriage to George Peat
2 Apr
St. Phillip's Church of England Church, Sydney. New South Wales. Australia
Registered Death
Reg. No. V18251108 44B/1825
Death
New South Wales. Australia
IF this information is correct this woman cannot be the mother of Elizabeth TUTTON born in DUNDRY 2 years earlier. Is the problem that the information in the above tree on the Ancestry.au site is wrong? If it is correct, it concerns another Elizabeth TUTTON born approx 2 years after the Dundry one. You must have found information that I do not have.
Ros

Offline Jon Parker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 February 15 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have checked dates re your info and I am in complete agreement, but something odd is going on there and I have yet to identify it. I think that the info re the Elizabeth Tutton/Cox is more likely to be correct given the various sources and she is actually the ancestor we share, even if The other is wrong.

But something doesn't feel quite right about the whole scenario and I have yet to put my finger on it.

I wonder if transportation Tutton took the name for some reason? The birthdates, as you say are close enough that she could get away with it.

Watch this space. :)

The Tutton who married a Cox however is safer ground and she is my 3rd great grandmother so, sorry, we are still related. You can't get out of it that easy. :)

Offline bossyrozzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 February 15 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Jon
How exactly are you related to the Elizabeth TUTTON of Dundry? I am from her son Charles and his son Alfred. I have some information on Thomas Cox of Whitchurch, back another couple of generations. Depending on who you are descended from I may have other info that would help you. Let me know.
Ros

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 February 15 18:13 GMT (UK) »
My 3 times ggrandmother was also an Elizabeth Tutton and she married a George Clark in Cheddar.In researching the Tuttons I found a web site about this family in Somerset so it might be worthwhile having a Google
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)