Author Topic: Samuel Bensimon  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Niknak13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Bensimon
« on: Saturday 26 March 11 06:55 GMT (UK) »
On familysearch.org they mention a family of Bensimons living in Alton, Staffordshire in the 1861 census. Jeremiah & Sarah Bensimon were the parents & Samuel & Emma were their kids. In 1861 Samuel was 29, which means he was born around 1832 which fits the timeline for my great great grandfather. My Samuel Bensimon married my GG grandmother in Cape Town in 1863 - I want to know if there is any way of confirming that the Samuel on the 1861 census moved to S.Africa soon after that? Does anyone know any other Bensimons living in the UK at the moment that I could contact and see if any of them are relatives of this family?

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Bensimon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 11 08:14 GMT (UK) »
BENSIMON seems to be a mistranscription - the image shows this family's surname as BEARDMORE.  They are living at the same address in 1851 (also as BEARDMORE), and by 1871 Samuel is married and living in Dilhorne, Staffordshire.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Niknak13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 11 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes I had heard this but it makes no sense - how could familysearch have gotten the name so far wrong?? Bensimon is a pretty specific sort of name. Perhaps there was another Bensimon family in the 1851 census and whoever was writing it down at the time made a mistake? Bensimon is really nothing like Beardmore. But thanks for the reply! I just know anymore where to find my GG grandfather.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 March 11 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I can't see any BENSIMON families anywhere on the England/Wales census, I'm afraid, and no records for the surname show up on FreeBMD until much later.

Does your Samuel's marriage record give his father's name/occupation?

Here is the image from the 1861 census - the end of the surname could easily be misread as "-mon", but cross-referencing with other records makes it pretty clear it's BEARDMORE:
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Niknak13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 March 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
All I have of my Samuel is the entry in the church register where he married my GG grandmother - Frederika Schubert in Cape Town. Samuel was a tailor. I dont even know if he was from the UK. He was definitely a recent immigrant to the Cape when they got married, and rumour had it that he came from South America, but I cant find any record to support that theory. Yes, I see from the entry that it was definitely Beardmore and not Bensimon, altho the handwriting could lend itself to me misinterpretted, I guess! I have no idea who Samuel's parents were. That would be a bonus!