Author Topic: Helen Kenley and Elizabeth 'Hawkey'  (Read 7257 times)

Offline Mundell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helen Kenley and Elizabeth 'Hawkey'
« on: Friday 08 April 11 17:13 BST (UK) »
Information Please.

My Great Grandparents, John Walton and Janet Brown were married on 13/04/1860 at Leven, Scoonie, Fife.  Any assistance to trace their parents, particularly their mothers, would be appreciated.

John's mother was apparently Helen Kenley, but I have not been able to trace their marriage or her birth.

Janet's mother is given as Elizabeth Hawkey.  I have seen several variations of this name in connection with Andrew Brown - Halket/Hakney/Hackney/Hawkey/Brown, and am confused.

Thanks, Mundell

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Kenley and Elizabeth 'Hawkey'
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 April 11 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Mundell,

Have you got an age for John Walton &  Janet Brown

weemanswife
Anderson, Arrnott, Alexander,Brand,McKay,Rattray,Maguire,Green,Wallace,McLaggan,Guild,Ferguson,Donaldson

Offline Mundell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 April 11 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,  Thanks for your message

Marriage cert. 1860 gives John Walton's age as 21 - no age for Janet Brown

1841 Census for Andrew and Elizabeth Brown give Janet's age as 6

1861 Census gives John's age as 22 and Janet's age as 26

Regards Mundell

Offline HubbellGardiner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 April 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Mundell

I've had a look at www.familysearch.org for possible matches and there is a birth for a Janet Brown that looks like a good match. The entry gives the following information:

Janet Brown
Birth Date: 06 June 1834
Baptism/Christening Date: 22 June 1834
Baptism/Christening Place: Cupar, Fife
Father's Name: Andrew Brown
Mother's Name: Elizabeth Halket

This would tie in with the names you have for Janet's parents and her age on the census.

Hope this helps. :)

Regards,
HubbellGardiner

Offline HubbellGardiner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 April 11 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi again Mundell

There is also another child born to the same parents. The details are:

William Brown
Birth Date: 20 January 1836
Baptism/Christening Date: 7 February 1836
Baptism/Christening Place: Auchtermuchty, Fife

Do you know from the census you have if Janet had a brother named William?

Regards,
HubbellGardiner

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 April 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Mund

There is a mrriage SP for a Andrew Brown & Elizabeth Hakney at Cupar Fife on the 12-1-1834.

weemanswife
Anderson, Arrnott, Alexander,Brand,McKay,Rattray,Maguire,Green,Wallace,McLaggan,Guild,Ferguson,Donaldson

Offline HubbellGardiner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 April 11 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Mundell

There is also a marriage entry for Andrew Brown and Elizabeth Hackney on 25 January 1834 at Rattray, Perth. I think this entry and the entry weemanswife mentioned are for the same couple. I think these entries are probably for the banns of the marriage and suggest that one of the couple lived in Cupar while the other lived in Rattray and so the banns had to be read in both of the parishes.

From the information you have from the census do you know the ages and birthplaces of Janet's parents? If you do this may help us make some more progress with this.

Also could you post any information you have regarding the names, ages and brithplaces of John Walton's parents.

Regards,
HubbellGardiner :)

Offline Mundell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 April 11 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Weemanswife and HubbellGardiner,

Thanks for the pointers.  1841 census does have William as 5 and Janet as 6.  Family residing at Lambuletham Cameron. Both parents aged 25 but no birth details.

Using both children's names I managed to identify the family on 1851 census at Scoonie.  Both parents ages given as 38.  Andrew's birth place is given as Cupar and Elizabeth's as Dysart.

Interestingly Elizabeth has a second name noted which is not clear - could be Halket (which would tie in with one of your comments), or Halkern?   How frustrating!

I will try to attach a copy to see if you can make any suggestions.

1861 census repeats these birthplace details with ages Andrew 48, Elizabeth 49 but no maiden name.

The other marriage you mentioned - Brown-Hackney - could they possible be the same people?

Have found a register entry on 17th March 1811 at Dysart, Fife, for an Elizabeth Hacket born 12th - parents -James Hacket and Janet Murray.

John Walton seems to be a common combination which throws up a lot of info. which I will now spend some time on.

Thanks for your help.
Regards Mundell

Offline HubbellGardiner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 April 11 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again Mundell

I've had a look at the census entry you attached and I agree with you that the second name could be either Halket or Halkern or something similar. :-\

I think the birth entry for 1811 you found for Elizabeth Hacket could be a possibility. The year of birth and place of birth would tie in with the information you have about Elizabeth from the census entries. Also the fact that the mother's name is Janet and then Andrew and Elizabeth named their first daughter Janet would follow the traditional naming pattern in Scotland of naming the first daughter after the mother's mother.

Have you managed to find death certificates for Andrew and Elizabeth? These would give the names of their parents and would make it easier for you to then trace their births. Do you have them in any census after 1861? If you can try to follow them using the census it would help you to narrow down a possible year of death for each of them.

Hope this helps. :)

Regards,
HubbellGardiner