Author Topic: Was grandmother German or Danish?  (Read 8157 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Was grandmother German or Danish?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 April 11 00:17 BST (UK) »
As the American census states Denmark was the birthplace of your grandmother, it could be that your father remembers something from his childhood about Schleswig-Holstein and has confused the facts.

When surnames were chosen in the 11th and 12th century maybe your family chose the name of the place they lived and worked in.  There is a place called Brammer in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.  Unfortunately I can't find an article written in English which tells the history of the place:-

<<Brammer is a municipality in the district of Rendsburg-Eckernförde, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.>>

Postscript:
I have looked on this German surname finder.  If you use this link and type in the surname Brammer, the results show the density of the places where this surname occurs the most.
At the top of the map is Rendsburg-Eckernforde (Schleswig-Holstein) where this surname occurs - (put your mouse over the brown and it displays the name of the area).  I think I once read that Denmark used to rule a northern part of Germany - maybe you should look for the history of wars between the two countries.
http://www.verwandt.de/karten/absolut/brammer.html

In northern Europe and America the wife usually takes the husband's surname when they marry - unless the wife is from an important family then the husband might take her surname when they marry.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline oilman19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 April 11 00:26 BST (UK) »
Is there any way to determine the source of the name Brammer?

Jim

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 April 11 00:47 BST (UK) »
   In northern Europe and America the wife usually takes the husband's surname when they marry - unless the wife is from an important family then the husband might take her surname when they marry.

This does not necessarily apply in Scandinavian countries!

Didn't Schleswig-Holstein alternate between Germany and Denmark in the 1800s?  At some stage, anyway?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 April 11 00:52 BST (UK) »
Is there any way to determine the source of the name Brammer?

Jim

When ancient Saxons left Germany and settled in England
(= anglo saxons) they brought their words with them and it could be that Bram means a type of prickly gorse that grows on moorland.

<<The name Bramhall is derived from Anglo-Saxon meaning, Bram or broom>>
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 April 11 01:03 BST (UK) »

This does not necessarily apply in Scandinavian countries!

Didn't Schleswig-Holstein alternate between Germany and Denmark in the 1800s?  At some stage, anyway?

Dawn M

Hi Dawn,
... and not necessarily in early Scotland either.  I have a marriage document but on the 1841 census one particular mother who married in the late 1830's is noted with her maiden name and the 2 children carry their father's surname.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 April 11 09:32 BST (UK) »

See reply #1 re: Schleswig-Holstein problem
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline oilman19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 April 11 12:40 BST (UK) »
I believe Hemme should be Henne, Ribe.  That is where my grandfather Mathias was born.  Do you think that could be the birth place for Sorrine Marie Brammer?

Thank you,

Jim

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 April 11 13:12 BST (UK) »
I've found a Schleswig-Holstein website which has/is compiling a list of nineteenth century emigrants. These alphabetical lists are on Word documents which you can download - the Brammer surname is there but as your ancestor possibly emigrated in the 20th century it might not help you.

At the bottom of the page are some tabs:  one is about the history of the state and what part the Danish played.  there's another tab which describes the tribes/people who lived in various areas of the state and quite possibly might link to any family stories which have been handed down.

http://www.rootdigger.de/

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 April 11 13:30 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the Brammer email on the Schleswig-Holstein mailing list written in 2007?

<< ............ My great grandfather was: Mathias Andersen b. Sep 24, 1875 in Hennebjerg, Henne, Ribe, Denmark d. May 21, 1948 in Staten Island, NY. He married Sorrine
Marie Brammer 1903 in Denmark. She was b. Apr. 23, 1884 probably in Denmark and d. May 3, 1942 in Hartford, Hartford County, CT. It is said she was from Schlevig-Holstein (not correct spelling I am sure), the area that went back and forth between Denmark and Germany

My great great grandfather was: Andreas Andersen b. Oct. 15, 1818 in
Doestrup, Doestrup, Tonder, Denmark d. May 30, 1906 in Varde, Ribe, Denmark. He
married Ane Botilde Jensen bef. 1863 in Hennebjerg, Henne, Ribe, Denmark. She
was b. Mar. 6, 1836 in South Sejerslev, Emmelev, Tonder, Denmark d. Mar. 6,
1886 in Hennebjerg, Henne, Ribe, Denmark................. >>
---

There was one reply to that query.  Both emails dated 2007 are on this webpage:-

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/andersen/2007-05/1178019898