Author Topic: William Henry FARMER NSW  (Read 12427 times)

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry FARMER NSW
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 April 11 12:06 BST (UK) »
My other problem was Joseph Charters,William's son in law,born Paddington 1846 for whom i never found anything concrete though i am happy i have the right man there with detail taken from marriage and death certificates.
Agian,thanks for your guidance.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 April 11 12:07 BST (UK) »
Perhaps of interest

At the Colonial Secretaries papers online INDEX for 1788-1825 http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/default.htm

FARMER, William. Per "Hebe", 1820

1821 Sep 8
 Employed at Pennant Hills. On list of all persons victualled from H.M. Magazines (Reel 6016; 4/5781 p.89)

1822 Mar 22
 On list of prisoners assigned (Fiche 3290; 4/4570D p.39)

This shows a William Farmer who arrived her HEBE in 1820 was employed at Pennant Hills in 1821 .... Pennant Hills is not too far from Parramatta ... perhaps a candidate for the father of your William Henry FARMER ...   That chap on the HEBE was born London and was a watchmaker according to his Ticket of Leave at this link
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/keyname.aspx

BUT I cannot find your lad OR that William Farmer on the 1828 NSW Census ....

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 April 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
JM, I don't know if this is the same as your notes regarding parish registers, but I find it indispensible when looking at the microfilm of pre 1856 events.

If you scroll down to "Detailed list of registers" there are links to the registers, and the notes and appendix are also really important as they give details of incorrect numbering etc.  I recently looked at some records to which note #8 applied where the index numbers and the numbers in the register were 200 out!
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/short-guide-4/short-guide-4

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 April 11 12:55 BST (UK) »
Agh, that's the link I was looking for !  many thanks Debra,

Yes, my trusty notebook includes glued pages from that guide, with my own notes as to variations and other odds and bods ...

Do you think I got most of the significant issues covered in these posts on this thread? 

Its a real mish mash until you get familiar with it and then it is still mishy mashy ...  I do so wish the NSW BDM website would separate the Early Church Records (the V series) from the civil registrations.... AND also if that's not possible that they at least make some attempt to give the parish in the district column for more of the V entries...  Especially as these are now coming up on Ancestry with a place indicated...

It must be so confusing for anyone not familiar with NSW records ....  and although I am NSW centric I can get tangled in both my and the index mistookens ....

Cheers, And warncoort  do not PANIC , no panicking permitted, there's many other RChatters who have better understanding of NSW records than Me....  Debra for starters is much better

Again Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 April 11 14:20 BST (UK) »

Its a real mish mash until you get familiar with it and then it is still mishy mashy ...  I do so wish the NSW BDM website would separate the Early Church Records (the V series) from the civil registrations.... AND also if that's not possible that they at least make some attempt to give the parish in the district column for more of the V entries...  Especially as these are now coming up on Ancestry with a place indicated...

It must be so confusing for anyone not familiar with NSW records ....  and although I am NSW centric I can get tangled in both my and the index mistookens ....
 ,  JM

Talking about mish-mash, did you see this Farmer death in 1880?  Possibly where Warncoort got the 'death 1888 around Armidale' from? 
5120/1880  FARMER  WILLIAM  AGE 63 YEARS  DIED ANNANDALE  ARMIDALE

as Annandale is in Sydney, how would the death be registered in Armidale?
This guy if 63 in 1880 would have been born 1817 so apparently not the right one, unless the 1829 birth is incorrect.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 April 11 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi All   I am not near my own ref books  ..... BUT dawn makes good point.    Perhaps Someone could check the index  .... click on the heading re mothers given name........ any others also noted died Annandale........ is their ref number close to 5120 ....   it is possible for deaths to occur in one district and for it to be registered in a different one.......  eg   die Bourke NSW and reg at Parramatta in 1888    It could be that 5120/1880 is for the right chap   ...... BUT that would mean NSWBDM indexer has mistooken handwritten 1888 ...... 8  for 0  in documents that are submitted in chronological order would mean that a whole year/decade of returns were processed at the same time ... all pre WWI        Cheers  JM  usung borrowed Wifi tablet    wow 21C technology    wow but w finger typing   err  my fingers can usually spell  but not when 2 finger typing   sory

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 April 11 01:47 BST (UK) »
PS   thats searching on NWBDM and limiting district to Armidale    any others shown died Annandale showing up under heading  of mothers given name .... index can be sorted by each different heading   click and experiment    JM   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 April 11 03:20 BST (UK) »
 ;D

From a commercial online site there's supporting info for Jackie's find, so I have looked at NSW BDM for death registrations for other names on same page.

New South Wales, Australia, Registers of Coroners' Inquests
William Henry Farmer 20 Dec 1888   Guy Fawkes Oid Armidale Death Place   Guy Fawkes Near Armidale Age 62 Birth Place Parramatta, New South Wales

William was accidently killed-thrown from a horse at Guy Fawks. Owen Mowel who passed along the road found his body.He was 59 years old.

Most of these inquests were for deaths  (not all though) ... most of the deaths are findable at NSW BDM, but not that of William Henry FARMER ... whose estate/property was listed as valued at About £500 on the image I am looking at.   The inquest was held on 20th Dec, and the Coroner was G Blaxland.  The report was received on 27th Dec 1888 ....  The image I can acess shows Guy Fawkes VIA Armidale, all other info same as Jackie's post.
Off now to chase up that other elusive chap ... fingers crossed there's a better result in finding him !!

Cheers,  JM

So I think it would be sensible to consider that 5120/1880 certificate BUT of course only as a transcription (cheaper, quicker to receive etc) and when ordering it, I would include a NOTE to ask the official transcriber to check the year carefully as you have coroner's indquest details showing 20 Dec 1888 .... Although I doubt if the d.c. will show Parent's names ...   of course spend the pennies wisely, so perhaps try to find further info first.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 April 11 04:02 BST (UK) »
Re William Henry FARMER's son in law .... Joseph CHARTERS b circa 1846 in NSW

At the online INDEX for NSW BDM there's a John CHARTERS baptism in 1847 in volume 32A and line 318 ...
he was son of James and Ann J CHARTERS ... and it seems that couple also had another son in 1852 ... William.

William's baptism is probably recorded TWICE ... once in vol 69 at line 314 and once in vol 141 at line 2264 ... ie once in the original parish and once for that original parish to transmit the record  in accordance with that 1810 regulation that was still in force.

from memory Vol 69 could be for Roman Catholic Baptisms, so that may explain the elusiveness for Joseph's baptism (presuming his parents were James and Ann J, who seem to have married in C of E at Christ Church St Lawrence, in 1843 ... that would be the then temporary building)  Ann J's former name is shown as VERTUE on the index ... line 143 of Vol 27C in 1843

Cheers,  JM  (still looking !)