Author Topic: Alice MUERS 1814 transported Where did she go what happened to her?  (Read 8428 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Muers transported to NSW 1814
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 April 11 23:55 BST (UK) »
Which court, Gillian?

Offline Matilda1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 April 11 00:35 BST (UK) »
The entry on A*y (the Criminal Registers) just says Northumberland & in the sentence column it does say death.

This seems to be the same person who was sentenced on 13 August 1813 & transported in 1814 - see the site below.  The death sentence must have been commuted, as this site has Alice Muers sentenced to 7 years transportation at the "Northumberland Assizes".

http://www.convictrecords.com.au/convicts/muers/alice/98332

Matilda

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 April 11 06:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry for got to say Northumberland ,I did see she had been sent to Australia with a couple of other ladies from Northumberland but without seeing the whole court records for Alice I don't know when and why she was given a reprieve,
I cant find any birth details for her in England or Scotland or a possible marriage,saying that I didn't have a lot of time to look last night as it was late,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 April 11 07:25 BST (UK) »
There's also ALICE MUERS sentenced to 7 years transportation at the Newcastle upon Tyne Assizes on 19 August 1813....  no mention of a death sentence at all .... that lass arrived in the colonies ex the ship SURREY ... in January 1814

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 April 11 07:51 BST (UK) »
An ALICE MUERS was transported on the "Broxbornebury" in 1814 to Sydney for 7 years, her life sentence commuted to that.  An e-book by E.Hook gives her life span c1785-1823. She was aged 28 when given life sentence for "larceny above 40 shillings in a dwelling house" and 29 when she got to Australia.   It doesn't say where she came from, but gives occ. as Servant.

Book says she married another convict n/o Matthew or Nathaniel Miller in November 1814.
They had 2 children, Joseph c1815 - ? and Jane c1818 - ?.
Alice died in Sydney on 18 June 1823 aged 38.
As this is before civil registration began, it is doubtful that you would get any other information if you did order a transcript of the d.c.  The old ones usually didn't state how long in the colony, or native place.  But this might be on the convict indent - have you looked there?

Serendipity - just taking a break from cataloguing CDs for our FH library, and the above is one I have just done!

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 April 11 07:57 BST (UK) »
Just discovered you have two threads on this topic.
Maybe you should get them merged so people don't spend time looking for information you have already been given?

Dawn M

* Moderator comment:  Thanks Dawn - topics merged and put on Australia board   :) *
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alice MUERS 1814 transported Where did she go what happened to her?
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 April 11 08:00 BST (UK) »
Alice was sent immediately on arrival, to work as a servant for John Norman a landowner at Windsor, NSW.

Can we please have these two threads merged??
Dawn M

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 April 11 08:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, agree, need to merge these threads,  noting I have found another ALICE MUERS transported on the SURREY arriving Sydney NSW January 1814 ... trial in Newcastle upon Tyne August 1813, sentence 7 years... will mean that care needs to be taken with the Australian searches to ensure there's no confusion between the two lasses...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 April 11 08:21 BST (UK) »
JM where did you find that?  2 Alice Muers tried Newcastle upon Tyne / Northumberland Summer Assizes, both in August 1813??

I wonder if there's a mistranscription somewhere?

Have asked the moderator on other thread to please merge, but as one's in Northumberland and one in Australia....??

Dawn M