Author Topic: William BARTON, Albion Farm, Woodville, NSW  (Read 12389 times)

Offline peakinatthepast

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William BARTON, Albion Farm, Woodville, NSW
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 February 12 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Just for your information he came to Australia with his mother and step siblings after his father was murdered in England and he was left a substantial amount of money which is why they all came to make a new start. When I find a copy of the newspaper reports again I'll post them on this site. He bought about 10 properties most being in Sydney but a few in the Hunter Valley area

Offline staplehouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 04:31 GMT (UK) »
hi
in this summary it is stated that John Taylor died 1847, where abouts did this information come from as I am a descendant of his??

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 01:07 GMT (UK) »
I believe the 1847 John Taylor death is not Ann Tucker's husband, I had notes to say he was sent to Tasmania  "in chains" but there were a couple of John Taylors around Maitland and Newcastle.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 12 February 22 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have recently received a PM to see if I can advance the quest.  I will try to go back over this thread and take a new look through my own offline resources.   I feel sure that other RChatters may also have spare moments to help with the quest too.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 12 February 22 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Here is a quick start following up on the post by

this document is one of many I have on William Barton on land he purchased and as can be seen on the bottom of page he came to Australia as a free man on board the "Warrior" in July 1833

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2213165  27 July 1833,  Sydney Gazette
noting the passengers included the merchant, William Barton, and Mrs. Barton, and four  children

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Peter Joseph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 12:11 BST (UK) »
John Taylor married Anne Tucker in 1839 in Sydney. They resided at Albion Farm and had five children; William, John, George, James and Frances. John Taylor was tried for armed robbery (refer William Munnings Arnold and Maitland Mercury) in March 1846 at the Maitland Circuit Court and was sentenced to 15 years (beyond the seas), this being Van Diemen's Land. There are three pages of records held in the Tasmanian Archives which verify this information. John absconded from his employer in 1848 and was never seen again. When transportation ceased to Van Diemen's Land in 1855, a muster was held for all remaining prisoners. John had never been found and was subsequently "struck off strength".

Offline staplehouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 22 September 23 22:11 BST (UK) »
So is this all correct Peter Joseph

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 September 23 22:59 BST (UK) »
Just adding some links for John TAYLOR.

Conduct record

https://stors.tas.gov.au/CON37-1-3  (image 18)

Indent (2 pages)

https://stors.tas.gov.au/CON16-1-3  (images 244 and 245)

Bricklayer aged 34, five children, native place Sydney (this usually means place of birth), wife Anne at Patterson's River, brothers James, William and George at native place.

I notice a lot of trees on Ancestry that have his birth as 1827 in Cornwall.  He married Ann TUCKER in 1839 so clearly math isn't one of their strengths.  His trial and gaol records state that he was born in NSW and native to the colony.

Debra  :)

Offline Peter Joseph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 September 23 23:56 BST (UK) »
My mistake, staplehouse. Transportation to Van Diemen's Land actually ceased in 1853, not 1855.

Anne Tucker/Taylor married William Barton on 24 October 1855. Why did she wait so long after John Taylor's disappearance? The British Government decreed that if a spouse had been left behind in the UK for at least 7 years and they had not heard from their convicted partner, they could remarry without fear of being charged with bigamy. The minimum sentence coincidentally was 7 years. John absconded on 21 October 1848. Anne waited 7 years and 3 days. This would also suggest that the John Taylor who died at Maitland on 20 October 1847 (described as a publican) was not Anne's husband, otherwise she could have legally married from October 1847 onwards.