Author Topic: Catholic Schools in late Victorian Dennistoun/Bridgetown  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Schools in late Victorian Dennistoun/Bridgetown
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 14:59 BST (UK) »
I don't think that St. Anne's has been there long enough, Garngad.  However, Sacred Heart is another possibility.   That's the church where my great grandparents got married.   That link you gave me is great, Sancti, and gives a lovely picture of the old church, as well as all the information.  Thanks a lot.
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline Gabrielle Bricknell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 June 17 22:29 BST (UK) »
There was a little primary school, St. Mary's in Dennistoun behind the Wills Cigarette Factory, it was private.

Offline ayrgenes

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 June 17 18:25 BST (UK) »
try NLS website, lots of old Glasgow maps. In 1860's there's a St Johns School at  the top of David St, opposite E JohnSt, and in the 1880's there are two other schools in the same area.

St Anne's, my old primary school from the early 50's wasn't there until much later than your dates, and St Mungos, again my old school from the 60's was further into town at Townhead above the Royal Infirmary. Boys only until fairly recently.

davie
Dempster - Glasgow, Muirkirk, Sorn, Ayrshire
McIntyre - Glasgow, Campsie
Hinde - Glasgow, Wolverhampton
McLintock - Glasgow, Kilmarnock,
McGlade - Rutherglen, Ireland
Kettlewell - Yorkshire

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 August 17 00:47 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was brought up in the Dennistoun/Bridgetoun area, in and around East John Street (or Bluevale Street, as it is now).    I've been wondering what school he and his siblings might have attended.    I know that there is a St. Anne's Primary in David Street, which is close by, but I can't find, anywhere, how old that school is.    Would anyone know what catholic schools were in this neighbourhood in the period around 1880 to 1900?
Not sure of the exact date it opened but St James primary on Green street haS been there a while sure I saw a pic on Glegapals of quite a large group with teacher dated 1909 , the school closed a few yr back but remains a listed building. Good luck with your research
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,