Author Topic: Augustus, Alfred Slade  (Read 3727 times)

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We build our pedigrees based on the proofs we find
    • View Profile
Re: Augustus, Alfred Slade
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 04:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you once again, I have found on www.geneanet.org for Slade - France a Slade tree which is in my line but unable to contact them as there email is a old one, I would be v surprised if they had Augustus Alfred on their tree as he and a further two siblings are not on the original Slade tree from England.

Fran
Brooker, Creagh Curran, Ellingsen, Evans, Hatton, Ryan, Slade, Campbell, Flett

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Fran

You seem to have found some really good information and what an interesting man he was, apart from all the different women lol.
I wondered if you knew what he did as it does say at the entertainment for the Duke and Duchess that he was classed as a ""distinguished guest?""
Just wondered if he was an artist or philosopher?

regards
Sandymc

p.s. I just found a copy of Augustus Alfreds probate information

Slade  Augustus Alfred late of the "Charing Cross"hotel, Middlesex esquire
died 2nd November 1895. Probate London 27th November to Augusta Ernesta
Sara Watson widow effects £4019 2s 11d.

p.p.s Just found another piece of information that he is on the 1891 census registered as being born in    Brol, France?
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 11:29 BST (UK) »
I think that the French death records might help (as opposed to the consular death certificate, if any) - there should be witnesses listed (informants).

On the Pas de Calais archives (link earlier in this topic) there are censuses for Boulogne but they're not name-indexed so would take a long time to work through.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  Yes Ernest August Slade was a bit of a ladies man!SLADE, ERNEST AUGUSTUS (1805-1878), superintendent of convict barracks Sydney and police magistrate, was born on 30 June 1805, the son of General Sir John Slade (1762-1859), baronet, and his first wife Anna Eliza, née Dawson. His father distinguished himself during the peninsular war at the battles of Busaco and Fuentes de Onoro and received the thanks of parliament and a gold medal for his services. Slade was an unruly and extravagant youth and his father hastened to get him into the army so that he would be under discipline and preferably out of England. A commission was bought for him for £450 and he joined the 54th Regiment as an ensign on 1 August 1822 and was promoted lieutenant in May 1825; in 1828 he transferred to the 40th Regiment and saw service in the Australian colonies and India. He retired from the army in 1831 and returned, to New South Wales in 1832 with a letter of introduction from the Colonial Office to Governor  Bourke expressing the wish that he be placed in any office which happened to be vacant when He arrived. In February 1833 Bourke appointed Slade superintendent of the convict barracks at Hyde Park with a residence within the barracks and a salary of £150; next October he was appointed also to the part- time office of third police magistrate for Sydney for which he received an additional £100 a year. He held these appointments until 1 November 1834 when he became involved in court proceedings, which received wide publicity. Because of the scandal to which these proceedings gave rise, Bourke told him that he could no longer hold his appointments; he was allowed to resign. Slade complained to the Colonial Office that he had been summarily and unjustly dismissed from his appointments; he admitted the irregularity of his own domestic establishment, but alleged in extenuation that many of the most respectable and useful justices of the peace of the colony were living in a state of concubinage with female servants. So he was well connected in high society so the latest Baronet tells although he thought that he was destitute and running from his creditors hence being in France! But his will states other wise as he left over $8000 pounds.
He is a very interesting subject, I have just obtained picture of him,showing a tall, handsome man with a melancholy expression on his face, clever, no doubt, but lacking in mental and moral vigour” Yes where is Brol France??? I have seen that entry as well! It seem's that Augustus and Augusta, Ernestina, Sarah Grant-Watson (nee Slade) must of known each other quiet well as he Augustus left all his worldly processions to her and her children. Where as the two other sibs of Ernest Augustus Salde who were in Australia it is unknown if they were aware of each other! As were the Slade in England untill i became aware of my GGG Grandfathers history.

Any thing you can add would be great.

Thanks,

Fran ;D

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
I do have Augustus Alfred's Slades DC, but mother unknow father is names as Ernest Augustus Slade place of birth was Toulouse France, but the informant was the Hotel owner so info would not be very accurate.

Fran :o

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 18:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Fran for the great history.  I think the concubinage must have gone to his head lol.  I presume the lost Mother could well have been a servant and if he mixed in higher circles he may not have wanted a servant as a wife. As he was loaded for those days he would have been able to pay for people to look after the children. If he was earning £100 a year and an extra £100 for another job in  1834 that was a rich man.  I started work at 15 in 1962 and I earned £3 a week for 45 hours as a office junior which gave me a grand total of £156 a year.  Half of which I had to give to my Mum for my board lol. Those were the days.
I thought I hadnt heard of Brol in France.  Could it be something like Brel spelt wrongly?  Or could have been a small village no longer on the map?
Dont know much about French law for registering births but in England it wasnt against the law in 1837 not to register anything if you didnt want to. 

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 19:33 BST (UK) »
Yes it is v interesting he became the most hated man in Australia as he invented a new cat of nine tales! which he bragged if punishment was done under his order it never fail to break the skin after a few lashes! He also never married my relative and it is unknown if he cared for her as he did the others as he was kicked out of the country never to return. It must of been very hard for my ancestor to live in Sydney town because of his reputation. He was a very vain man, as my ancestor name was Ernest Augustus Slade! He seem to name all his children after himself....Most of our family used our ancestor's maiden name of Curran, they are a v interesting lot as well hard to research, John Philpot Curran was the great Uncle of my ancestor, he was master of the Rolls Ireland, patriot...

Cheers,

Fran

P.S Any idea's welcomed.. ;D

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 May 11 16:16 BST (UK) »
The below attachment ref:The Morning Post (London, England), Saturday, March 16, 1878; pg. 5; Issue 32984.
By this announcement it looks like Augustus Alfred Slade may of married ??? As at the wedding of  is his half sister was a Mrs Augustus Slade. He was b abt. 1837 d.1895. ??? ??? Would anyone be able to assist???

Fran

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The death record of Sara BICKLE, widow of Ernest Augustus SLADE

http://archivesenligne.pasdecalais.fr/ark:/64297/c9927acf361b57e0a66aa7c637ace680

45 years and 1 month old, rentière, born in Tavistock, comté de Devon
Parents  + John BICKLE and + Sara

Tavistock, Devonshire ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tavistock

Her address rue du Temple n°16

In the 1876 census, I don't find her at that address, at least as Sara BICKLE.

http://archivesenligne.pasdecalais.fr/ark:/64297/be60f03670975443c5251077daf8da3d

Yet, there is a Sara VETER, rentière, 43 years old, widow. English, born in Lavistock, England.

It's seems to be a large house divided into flats rented to British subjects.

Sara VETER for Sara PETER, née BICKLE or BICKIE ?