Author Topic: Oldham Rd Newton Heath  (Read 3941 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline chriscrookes

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oldham Rd Newton Heath
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 07:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A bit of a slow reply but 'yes' the Royal Union Inn was run by Joseph and Alice Crookes, who were my great-great-grandparents. I've just found Joseph's will in a pack of family documents and the pub was mentioned, though i'd do some digging and found this thread!

If it's of interest their son (also Joseph) ran the Alburn Inn in Miles Platting details of which are here: http://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/church-inn-alburn-street.html#comment-form

If you'd like any more information please let me know and i'll see what i can dig up.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 September 17 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Welcome to Rootschat website.

Member 'no5' the opening member creator of this old thread has not been active on the website for nearly 2 years come November.  ???

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=136118

Having said that ! this website maybe be useful for helping you by other members expertise to research of your own ancestry or you may like helping other members with their ancestry.

There are many ancestry related features of interest with an off topic board as well on the forum tab in above across menu.

:)

Only this week another member of Rootchat went an archive in Staffordshire for me to find some info and I do similar archive look ups for other members in my county of England - other members who have subscription membership to various online websites do odd look ups for members-

'Tit for tat use of resources in a general pooling of members own resources to help each other in the pool' is how it works.

Some members just by accident or blunder find a route to breaking down brickwalls in trees down which may jointly pick up on other members similar encounters or proven to work ideas, others are good at deciphering old documents or photo restoration etc..........................
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline no5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 September 17 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Sorry for late reply but thank you Chris for info. Hope I am not going to bore you with this as you may know it already. Alice Crookes married James Fozzard  in 1892 in Prestwich and lived at 137 Oldham Road ,James was a bricklayer, by 1911 James had passed away and Alice and here three Children Joseph age 17 Insurance Clerk Herbert 14 at School and Leslie 8 at School and a Margaret Galock  House Servant were living in the Swan Inn 15a Oldham Road and her Occupation listed as Beer Retailer. In 1917 she Married my Great Uncle George Howland Chair maker Alice passed away in 1933 and is at rest in St Philips Park Manchester. When George passed on he was living at Alanner House Hale Barns in 1956 but in the obituary column it added late of Oldham Road and Ancoats. The cortege left 4 Argyle St Droysden for interment at Southern Cemetery. Have not found  did they live in the Swan Inn till Alice passed away and George moved on ending in Hale Barns. Hope this was of interest no5