Author Topic: Raymond Hugo CLIBBORN  (Read 1499 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Raymond Hugo CLIBBORN
« on: Tuesday 10 May 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
     I am trying to find out what happened to my great uncle Hugo.  He was severely shell shocked in WW2 and the family institutionalised him in the late forties.  I have found a death record that says that he died in Salisbury in 1960.  Is there any way I could find out where he was sent and where he might be buried?

Jenny

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Raymond Hugo Clibborn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

What a sad story.  He may have spent time at the Old Manor, Salisbury - a mental hospital which admitted significant numbers of ex-servicemen.

I suggest that your best step is to purchase the death certificate in order to confirm where he was when he died.

Once you have that information, it might be worth contacting Wiltshire & Swindon Record Office to see whether they have records which can assist you further.

Anna :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Raymond Hugo Clibborn
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 21:06 BST (UK) »
     Anna,

Thanks for that suggestion.  I'll do that and will look up the Old Manor to see what I can find there.  According to my uncle, Hugo was an officer in the merchant navy when his ship was torpedoed by the Japanese in early 42.  He was picked up by another ship but that was also sunk.  How unlucky can you be!

Jenny