Author Topic: St Clears Carmarthenshire Early Census and pre Census  (Read 14617 times)

Offline Richards74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Clears Carmarthenshire Early Census and pre Census
« on: Thursday 12 May 11 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am looking for parent details of a Martha Lewis born around 1833/1834 in St Clears, Carmarthenshire.  I believe her father was a James Lewis and that she may have had a brother called Benjamin Lewis.  I am trying to find the christian name and maiden name of her mother, along with any other information on her parents.  She moved to the Brecon \ Merthyr area in the 1860's and married.  I have the census reports etc from 1861 upwards, just not sure of the earlier info or pre census.
Regards and thanks
Richards74

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: St Clears Carmarthenshire Early Census and pre Census
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 May 11 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

I believe her father was a James Lewis

Have you confirmed this from sight of her marriage certificate?  If not - what information do you have to support her father being James and having a brother Benjamin?

There are 5 1841 entries born between 1832-1836 - none with a father called James

There is one entry who may be with grandparents which also has a Benjamin in the household.  Ann Lewis was too old to be the mother of Martha or Ann

Living in the Civil Parish of St Peter

Griffith Lewis 64
Ann  58
David 22
Eliza   17
Benjamin  11
Martha 8
Ann 4
HO107 Piece 1387/ 2 Folio 53 Page 27   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Richards74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 May 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hello CaroleW,

Thanks for the reply.
James Lewis is the name of her father shown on her marriage certificate. He was an agricultural labourer, but he was deceased at the time of her wedding.  There is a Benjamin Lewis at her marriage (witness) in Merthyr in the 1860's, living in the same street on the 1861 census as she put down as her location at marriage time. My thoughts are that they did not grow up with her parents, that Benjamin moved to Merthyr and that she followed on later.  Also, one of her children who died as an infant was called James.  Again, any help would be appreciated.  I have access to the census info, so have an idea of where she was living.  It would be nice to find her birth parents for certain and any other details.
Regards and thanks again.
Richards74

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 May 11 18:38 BST (UK) »
The IGI confirms that Benjamin aged 11 in 1841 was the son of Griffith and Ann
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Richards74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 May 11 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hello CaroleW. Yes.  I made an assumption that it was her brother.  It could be a cousin, uncle etc or maybe no relation at all.  However, at the time of the wedding they were both down as living in the same street (1861 census for Benjamin) wedding certificate for Martha.  Both are down as being from St Clears.
Regards Richards74.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 May 11 20:24 BST (UK) »
I can see the 1861 for Benjamin but he was 36 in 1861 so born 1825 whereas the 1841 entry I listed was b 1830

Offline Richards74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
Some counters revised the 1841 census down to age 15 from 17,  13 to 10 etc, didn't they?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 22:47 BST (UK) »
Born 1830 - age in 1841 would be representative of that birthyear as he was under 15yrs old - so birthyear 1830

Birthyear 1825 would produce an age of 16 in 1841 which would be rounded down to 15 and give a birthyear of 1826

Offline raychel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 July 11 14:27 BST (UK) »
Griffith Lewis 1777 was the father of Eliza Lewis the grandmother of my parternal grandfather.
Eliza had a brother Benjamin 1824/30 as you say rounding of numbers often leads to confusion when trying to trace a relative.
I have not found Eliza or her son also Benjamin 1855 anywhere on the 1841 census, quite frustrating.