Author Topic: ALLEY Peter & John  (Read 14637 times)

Offline inept

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
ALLEY Peter & John
« on: Thursday 12 May 11 21:34 BST (UK) »
Dr George Underwood was educated at Trinity College, Dublin and emigrated to Dapto, New South Wales on a date unknown.

We think his parents were John Alley and June Ann Underwood, they were married in 1804, and his grandfather was Peter.

Further details of their descendants are at    http://www.alley-family-tree.com/

Can anyone help with birth, marriage and death details of Peter and John, their ancestors, and other Alley trees covering that period?

Thanks in anticipation

inept

Alley, Andrews, Bicknell, Brewster, Chipperfield, Clapp, Clutterbuck, Craike, Edis, Henderson, Hennessy, Layton, Lion/Lyon, Marriner, Marriott, Morris, Poole, Rennie, Rentoul, Saunders, Skepper, Smith, Tayles, Taylor, Tombes, Tunks, Vardon, Wharton, Wilson, Wright

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: ALLEY Peter & John
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 May 11 22:06 BST (UK) »
Do you know what part of Co. Dublin George was born or lived (i.e. City, suburbs, north county.. etc) ?

Many of the parish records for the city area are available on www.irishgenealogy.ie

p.s. just wondering if George and family lived in Dublin... you mention that he attended Trinity but not where they lived or where he was born...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 May 11 22:27 BST (UK) »
There's a possible baptism for one of George's children on IrishGenealogy :

Baptism of Francis James Smith Alley - 9 Oct 1831  (dob 12 July 1831)
  Parish of St. George, Dublin City, Church of Ireland

The parish covers a section of the north east of the city. I dont see any earlier baptism registrations in the parish for the surname Alley, but there are a few marriages - see : link (nothing for George though)

George appears to be listed in Pettigrew & Oulton's directory on 1834 as follows :

George Alley esq, surgeon, Eden Park, Phibsborough Avenue

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline inept

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 May 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane

That's a good start.

Incidentally, the link you posted for     irishgenealogy      appears, from Oz, to be broken.

inept
Alley, Andrews, Bicknell, Brewster, Chipperfield, Clapp, Clutterbuck, Craike, Edis, Henderson, Hennessy, Layton, Lion/Lyon, Marriner, Marriott, Morris, Poole, Rennie, Rentoul, Saunders, Skepper, Smith, Tayles, Taylor, Tombes, Tunks, Vardon, Wharton, Wilson, Wright

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 May 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
sorry - a typo by me... now fixed

you spelt it correctly ... you were nearly there!

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 May 11 22:49 BST (UK) »
not sure if he's your John... but there's a John Alley - Brewer listed in Pigot's directory of 1824, with an address at 55 Townsend street. The civil and Church of Ireland parish for the area is St. Mark.

There is a possible later (1852) connection with another Alley family member on the same street with the same occupation - a baptism of a child of a William Alley of 51 Townsend St. see link

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline inept

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 May 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane

I am aware of the shortcomings of IGI, but there is an "unsourced" entry of the 1804 birth of George Underwood Alley, f John, m June Ann Underwood.

Another "unsourced" entry has George marrying Catherine Amelia Dod Smith on 8 July 1830.  The "Smith" in her name is consistent with the name of the child Frances James Smith Underwood you have uncovered.

Another has a John Underwood b ~1766, f Peter, m Elizabeth Day, sp June Ann Underwood m 27 Feb 1804.

We'd be grateful to learn of original records (or contradictions) of these entries.

inept

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 May 11 08:29 BST (UK) »
The problem with the submitted records is that they may not be based on actual records - e.g. could be details from someone's family story, with estimated dates, and passed down location details. Some of these records provide details of the submitter, so you could try to trace the person that created them.

If your Alley family originated in the City then the Irish Genealogy website is the place to search.

The problem is establishing where the family originated - the only certain Dublin City references I've seen so far are that George went to Trinity college, and lived in the city for a time.

If the Alley family came from outside the city, or even outside county Dublin, then that's going to make your search more complex. Some parish records for parts of Co. Dublin and various counties are available on a pay website (www.rootsireland.ie).

It's worth remembering that not all parishes have historic records, and many Church of Ireland records were destroyed in the civil war (1922).

see :  Introduction to Irish Records
         My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Do you have a death cert for George ?
As far I know Australian certs provide details of place of birth etc...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 May 11 08:39 BST (UK) »
I am aware of the shortcomings of IGI, but there is an "unsourced" entry of the 1804 birth of George Underwood Alley, f John, m June Ann Underwood.

Another "unsourced" entry has George marrying Catherine Amelia Dod Smith on 8 July 1830.  The "Smith" in her name is consistent with the name of the child Frances James Smith Underwood you have uncovered.

I had a search for the IGI records you mentioned for George's - there are actually several baptisms on IGI / Pedigree Resource Files.

All have George Underwood Alley, born 1804, parents John Alley and Jane Underwood, wife Catherine Anne (or Amelia) died 1879 NSW, but some have place of birth as 'Dublin', the others as 'Limerick'

The two submitters are named on the Pedigree Resource File details - one with an address in Texas, the other in 'Australia' (no address).

Shane
My Surname Interests