Author Topic: Death and Marriage  (Read 7373 times)

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Marriage
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 May 11 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan

I cannot thank you enough for this information, yes this is my James Bowman.  I have googled and found some very interesting information, it reads:-
Born in Great Corby, near Carlisle worked at Ashington Colliery from the age of 15.  He served in the Royal Marines during the first world war then returned to coal mining, where he became an active in the Northumberland Miners Association.  He then became general secretary on the Union in 1935 and Vice President on the Miners Federation of Great Britain 1939, holding the post unopposed until 1949 during which period he took a leading role in reorganising the Union into the National Union of Mineworkers.
James then advised in reforming the German trade Union after the second world war.  He also served on the 1947 Royal Commission on the Press and Beveridge's Committee on broadcasting.  He withdrew from trade unionism at the end of 1949, instead taking a National Coal Board post in 1956, he was appointed Chairman.  He stood down in 1961 due to ill health and which point he was created a Baronet.

I see that his son George died in 1990.  Could anyone please give me the reference numbers so I can obtain George and James's death certificates? George Bowman was born in 1923.
Thank you again to all

Regards
Oletta

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 May 11 13:17 BST (UK) »
You are most fortunate that Alan was able to find all that information for you.   :D

If only it was the same with the majority  :(

Name:    George (Sir) Bowman
Birth Date:    2 Jul 1923
Date of Registration:    Aug 1990
Age at Death:    67
Registration district:    North Tyneside
Registration County:    Tyne and Wear
Volume:    2
Page:    1021

this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 May 11 13:28 BST (UK) »

Name:    James Bowman
Birth Date:    8 Mar 1898
Date of Registration:    Jul-Aug-Sep 1978
Age at Death:    80
Registration district:    Newcastle Upon Tyne
Registration County:    Tyne and Wear
Volume:    2
Page:    0734
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Lucinda Bowman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 March 15 16:34 GMT (UK) »
hiya Oletta

James Bowman was my great gran-dad and George Bowman  was my gran-dad
i just came across this randomly, i enjoyed reading these messages but i was just wondering why you were looking them up?

Thanks
Lucinda Bowman