Author Topic: PI N.K., Hereford - Where Could This Be?!  (Read 10220 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PI N.K., Hereford - Where Could This Be?!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 May 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm sure that's what it says.  There's one on the previous page too: "City of London (Ph. n.k.)".  Later in the same schedule there is a "Hampshire (Ph n.k.)" and a "Dorsetsh. (Ph n.k.)", among other examples.

it doesn't necessarily mean the person themselves didn't know where they were born. Because the household schedules don't survive one has no idea how legible (or otherwise) they were.  The enumerator whose job it was to transcribe the information onto the enumeration schedules may not have been able to discern the answers, or the householder may not have precisely specified the place of birth.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 May 11 14:19 BST (UK) »
In those circumstances the bit in brackets for each of them must surely be something along the lines of "Parish not known".

"Ph" is an old abbreviation for Parish, and N.K. was often used the the censuses to denote "Not Known".

I agree with Anna, I think they both say Ph N K, i.e. Parish not known.

Which could mean either that the head of household had forgotten the exact place of birth or that the enumerator couldn't read the schedule.

I have several examples in my own tree where someone apparently forgot where they'd been born, despite the fact that they'd given the place-name in previous and subsequent censuses.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nostalgic_One

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 May 11 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.  How annoying, I had hoped to be able to narrow down my search for baptism records a little.
Mackintosh - originating from the parish of St. Martin in the Fields, Westminster in the late 1700s and extending to Greater London, Scotland, Jersey and Mexico.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 May 11 21:22 BST (UK) »
I searched for quite awhile for a 1778 Elizabeth Mackintosh to see where she could be born and why the parish was unknown.  It then dawned on me that if she is a widow on the 1851 census that Mackintosh was not her maiden name so unless we find out who her husband was we are going to find it hard to find out where her parish was??? Have we any idea who he was so we can go back to 1778 to find out what parish in Hereford she was born?

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Nostalgic_One

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 May 11 21:56 BST (UK) »
Oh you are so very kind Sandy.  The kindness and helpfulness of people on these boards is most impressive.

She was born Elizabeth Bourchier and died in 1853 at the age of 85, which would make her birthdate around 1768.  I actually started a thread about her here the other day.  Somebody else found me a reference from Canon Pyon for that year which is a possibility.  If you come across any other possibles, I'd be delighted.

I believe her family later moved to Westminster if that's any help.
Mackintosh - originating from the parish of St. Martin in the Fields, Westminster in the late 1700s and extending to Greater London, Scotland, Jersey and Mexico.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 May 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Thanks for the maiden name and I think I have found the same as you mentioned at Canon Pyon.
I think it is your Elizabeth as there does not seem to be alot of children
called Elizabeth in that area around 1768.
Elizabeth Boucher christened 9th August 1767 at Canon Pyon
parents are Thomas and Catherine.

Thomas Bouchier christened 14th June 1738 at Hope Mansell parents
Henry and Joan.

The i is missing out of Bouchier for Elizabeth but that is not unusual as not
everyone could spell properly.  I also surmise that the reason Elizabeth
didnt know where in Hereford she was born could be the fact that they
moved to Westminster when she was young and probably never went back
to the village for whatever reason.  Even in my younger days I as a child was not told everything by my parents and grew up in ignorance as we didnt have family discussions about anything lol.

I would say that this is a good bet to be your Elizabeth especially as her Mother was called Catherine and she also has a daughter with the same name. 

Hope this is your family

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Nostalgic_One

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 May 11 21:02 BST (UK) »
Well done Sandy!  I think that may indeed be 'my Elizabeth.'  She went on to have fourteen children (possibly more!) of whom Catherine was the youngest.  There was also a Thomas amongst them.  I'll let you know if I find any more information which confirms it, such as proof of a Thomas Bourchier who moved to Westminster.  I don't suppose the baptism record hinted at occupations at all, did it?

Many thanks once again.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

No occupation was mentioned I am afraid.  I did have a look for you on deaths in London and there are quite a few Thomas Bourchiers. As you may know the surname is of French dissent and the Hugoenoets came to England in the 1700's after being slaughtered over in France because they were Protestants. There is a non conformist death in London of a Thomas Bourchier in 1826 but it doesnt state what year he was born. Thomas would have been in his 80's by then.  I did find a young Thomas and wondered if that was Elizabeths son. He married a Isabella and had quite alot of children, dont know if you know who his wife was?
There is a  coat of arms for the Bourchier if you do a search.  It is also interesting reading about the Huguenots.
I love researching ancestry as you get to know so much history as well,
good luck with the search.
regards
Sandymc 

Offline Nostalgic_One

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 15:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sandy, you are so kind.  You're right, the Bourchiers are very interesting, aren't they?

I'm almost certain that Elizabeth's son Thomas (Mackintosh) married a Mary Pead.  I'll have a look for the Thomas Bourchier 1826 though.  Elizabeth herself lived to be in her 80s after all, so it's entirely possible that her father did too.