Author Topic: James THORPE - arrival in Australia  (Read 10953 times)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James THORPE - arrival in Australia
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 16 February 12 06:43 GMT (UK) »
I think some of the info in this thread is needed on M's new thread

am on e-reader so cannor do the live link thingy yet

Done  ;)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 16 February 12 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ... I had that James v John aspect  on my to do list when next at NSW SRO.  Have you tried the NSW parish  maps for the Hunter etc.  If you are seeking the land details etc these can be handy...

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 16 February 12 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice Majm - you always go the 110% and I appreciate the help you have given me in recent years.   :) Maxell

Offline Brian Boggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 September 14 14:07 BST (UK) »
Submitted on 2013/04/17 at 1:43 am
Hi Brian,

There was a family on the Adam Lodge – family number 73 – of John and Jane Thorpe and their 5 children. Their 5 children were John Thorpe (c1823-), Mary Thorpe (c1826-1879), Rebecca Thorpe (c1829-), Catherine Thorpe (1832-1900), and Elizabeth Thorpe (1835-1911).

The father of this family was a stonemason, but his name was actually James Thorpe. He was 34 years old. He had a single younger brother, also a stonemason, by the name of John who was 32 years old. It appears that James travelled under the name of his brother and gave his brother’s age to be able to comply with the extended regulations to allow married men to be accepted if their age was within one to two years of the 30 year cut-off.

A descendant of James Thorpe later had a child with a descendant of John Boggs. Their child is the 4xgreat-grandson of both men.

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James THORPE - arrival in Australia COMPLETED
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 25 September 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian Boggs,
I have recently read about the age restrictions for tradesmen travelling on the Adam Lodge and would concur with you that James used his brother's name to fit within the age restrictions (because his brother was two years younger). Based on your name, I am presuming you are connected to the descendant you mentioned. As I am a descendant of James' daughter, Mary, I would really love to know if you have any other info on the family.  It is great to finally settle the puzzle of when James actually came to Australia. Maxell  :)

Offline Brian Boggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 25 September 14 23:55 BST (UK) »
I forgot to list where this iformation came from. It was a reply I received from Anne Buckingham
davisa@netcon.net.au on my wordpress  brianboggs's weblog about the unnamed passengers on the Adam Lodge of 1837.
I think that all the information on John Thorpe I have gleaned from NSW BDM's and you would have it but this is what I have:-
From the Adam Lodge's list made up by Alick Osborne (Surgeon), he is listed as a stone cutter from Donegal age 22 with wife Jane and 1 male and 4 female children. Protestant religion.

Now through other people's research (and I cannot name the people at this time) John was born 1823, Mary's birth death was 1826-1879; Rebecca born 1829, Catherine 1832-1900, Elizabeth 1835-1911. There isprobate for a John Thorpe 8/9/65 at Pyrmont and in 1841 census return 67 John Thorpe has residence at Lane Cove Willoughby , (but number of persons is 2 (No X950)147)
From BDM's deaths
 John Thorpe:-
1846 age 32 C of E Sydney St James
1853 Infant C of E Willoughby
1856 Died Newcaastle
 1864 Parents Jane and Thomas Sydney
1879 Age 50 Grafton
There may have been others for John
Jane Thorpe parents Sam and Ebenezer in 1877

Now I am putting together the stories of the passengers on this ship and would greatly appreciate any story about the Thorpe family you could provide. So far, I have in excess of twenty of the 83 families on the ship.

My family namesakes together with nine children came out on this ship and settled in Maitland viz:- John, Mary (parents) Nancy, Robert, Isabella, Eliza, William, Sam, Thomas, Rebecca and one female I have frustratingly been unable to find (probably born about 1830 and died before John's death in 1868) 
I have been researching for some thirty years and the explosion of information onto the internet has assisted me greatly in recent years   

Offline Farleyfolk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Maxene and all on this thread,
I'm a descendant, through my mother, of Alexander Thorpe, the first child born in the colony of James Thorpe. I have recently been clearing up my parents house for sale, finding all sorts of interesting things that were destined for the garbage. I knew of my descent to Alexander Thorpe - I have a big family bible from the 19th century that lists all the birth dates going back to him. However, after I received a marriage certificate for Alexander and Jane Campbell today, I was able to see the father was called James and the mother Jane.
And then it was a matter of reading a few threads and thanks to your hard work I had a line going back to 1775 in Donegal.
One of the very interesting discoveries - which was in a suitcase in the family garage, untouched for decades - was a small book of Psalms of David. Approved by the Church of Scotland, printed in Belfast. The year was 1836, which made me wonder if it had come out on the Adam Lodge the following year.
Thanks for all your hard work.
regards
Farley

Offline Farleyfolk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 14 September 18 04:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maxene for your wonderful message (because I am new to this I can't yet send you a reply directly until I post three times). I have attached a picture of the psalm book I found recently. I would like to think it belonged to James' Thorpe but maybe I am stretching with that. I'm not called Farley, I just used it due to the family connections.
kind regards
Andrew