Author Topic: finding an obituary in newspapers  (Read 29635 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: finding an obituary in newspapers
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 May 11 13:11 BST (UK) »
crissis over
Back in reply 1 you found the obit of maud marie's mum . On that it mentioned a son George for Maud and Francis but we havent got a birth among theBritish Consulate ones. Now in 1911 I have found John Jordon,Francis Spencer. and Elmslie all from China at their Uncle george Pearse DYMONDs school in Plymouth and between the entries for Francis and Elmslie there is a George Pearse DYMOND born 1899 Tavistock at first I thought he must be the son of the head teacher but he is not with him in 1901. George Pearse Dymond had a son Francis John I assume in honour of his brother so i am thinking that George P the student is son of Francis and Maud. Do you think it possible
Can you help find Maud coming back to GB about 1899?
Also I have foud a newspaper item )( (1915, May 15). The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1889-1931), p. 14. ) which names GP the head teacher and says he was the nephew of AV DYMOND considered to be the "Archbishop" of Bible Christians in Devon and father of Rev W DYMOND who was working in S Australia
I can't find an AV who could be uncle of Francis john and George Pearse
Can anyone locate Rev W Dymond in S Australia please
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: finding obitaroes in newspapers
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 May 11 15:21 BST (UK) »
Welcome back Trees! glad criss is over. Not the one you are looking for, but given the address probably a relative;

Bridford

The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842-1954) Saturday 24 August 1935
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/17205851
OBITUARY:- Mr. William DYMOND, aged 87, born Bridford, Devon.

May be next week before I get time to have a proper look!

Pm

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 May 11 15:29 BST (UK) »
A quick look through the data bank I have several Williams about the right age even one who is a policeman but they are all still in Devon after 1879 i 'll keep that one though I expect it will eventually tie in Many thanks
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline abstraction

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 October 11 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I have good records of Maud and her ancestors and a copy of her book Yunnan, letters...   Her sister Gertrude Lily Cannon was my g grandmother.  Her father, George Cannon, was a colourful character transported to tasmania for housebreaking - originally from berkampstead.  Good descriptions of what he looked like and was like.  He married a convict, Mary Ann and had three children. After release, chased gold in bendigo, had a fight with a chinaman with a long curved knife after his gold pouch... came back found his wife had run off. Met Catherine Jordan, married, went to live in Dunedin where they ran a boarding house for medical students. He was involved in the maori wars and was injured.  Girls well brought up -  spoke latin, played piano... 

Catherine Jordan comes from an even more colourful background of ancestry.  If someone is interested, am happy to share. If you have details of Maud's wedding and death, would love to hear from you. I have never found her birth certificate.  My grandmother thought she was older than Gertrude, but maybe that isn't correct.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 30 October 11 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Roots chat Abstraction, Did you contact me last week via our web site? As you can see I find this the most useful and friendly site where so many problems are solved.
Maud's husband Francis John DYMOND died in 1932 his obituary appears here
http//rylibweb.man.ac.uk/data1/dg/methodist/bio/biod.html

Maud diedDec quarter 1934 in Bristol District
DYMOND Maud M  67 Bristol 6a 112
However I have not found out why she was in the Bristol area His Obit says they returned to GB in 1930

Family Search has their marriage at the British Consulate in Chungking 12 Sep 1894
Francis John DYMOND 28 father John Dymond and Maud Marie CANNON 26 father George CANNON both single
I have nothing on her siblings and would love the details I have George marrying Catherine Jordon 5 Jul 1863 in Launceston Tasmania he was 45 and she 25
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 30 October 11 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trees,

Look like progress is happening - and i am sure people here will be very interested in Catherine.

I have tracked down Maud's obit at last.

It is in :Anti-slavery Society (Great Britain), British and Foreign Anti-slavery Society, Anti-slavery and Aborigines Protection Society (Great Britain) 1934, but alas snippet view in Google books,

It starts off as follows:

"We regret to learn of the death, on 20th November last, of Mrs Dymond, whose work with the slave girls of  South West China is well known to the friends of the Society...."

So its an inter library loan job for you unless we can find it somewhere else on line. I'll give it a whirl.....

Added later : One Bristol connection I have found is that daughter Roxie was a graduate of Bristol University:
University of Bristol - 1938 Calendar:
BAf* 1934 Dymond, Francis John,B.Sc.*1915 Dymond, George Pearse, BAf* 1922 Dymond (Mrs. Fraser), Roxie Maud, BAf* .

DYMOND George   Architect   33 Castle Green, Bristol
Bristol, Gloucestershire
With Clifton, Bedminster, Ashton, Brislington, Pill, Stapleton, etc.
Pigot's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1830

Mrs M A Dymond's School for Boys, 6 Caroline Row, King Square
Preparatory Day and Boarding School. Not listed 1847.
Mrs Dymond was the widow of George Dymond, architect and moved here from 29 Somerset Street in September 1840
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0g8h/

Dymond, John Jordan/  Brown's Road Military Cemetery Festubert
Unit: 1st/5th Bn. South Lancashire Regiment.
12th April 1918. Eldest son of Francis John and Maud Marie Dymond (nee Cannon) of 14 West Park Clifton Bristol. Born at Chao-Tong Yunnan China. IV. B. 15.
http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=2440951
PM

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 October 11 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Following on my previous post - (23) - the one just before this, the 20th Nov date given in Maud's obit checks out.

Maud M Dymond
Birth c. 1867
Qtr    Oct-Nov-Dec 1934
Age at Death:    67
Registration district:    Bristol
Volume:    6a
Page:    112

Cannot find the full version of the obit anywhere, but at least if you want to write to the Record Office or some kindly person in Bristol can do a  newspaper search, its now a very specific look up.

PM

Added later:
Maud's father-in-law, with interesting beard...
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~biblechristianmag/yr/bio/dymond.html

Offline abstraction

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 31 October 11 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I contacted you via your website. Then i thought a public post like this is very useful for others researching.

I'm not sure what your primary interest is - Frank Dymond or Maud Cannon.  If it's Maud, I have her father George's genealogy going way, way back, and lots of information about him, what he looked like, etc.  I also have her mother's genealogy (Catherine Jordan), her siblings, lots of information.  Catherine's grandmother Mary Butler came out on the second fleet to Australia, and grandfather James Jordan on the third fleet from Ireland. Interesting and amusing account of Mary Butler's trial and arrest.

So if you're interested in all that I can create a gedcom file and documents, as otherwise I'll be typing here forever! 

Siblings of Maud -
Gertrude Lily Cannon b20May 1865, Dunedin d.6 Jan 1940 St Arnaud, Victoria Aus.
M: Alfred Jenner Rodway 14 Aug 1897 Rushworth, Vic. b. 3 Sep 1872 Kyneton Vic.
Five other Cannon siblings infant deaths (Robert George 1867; Ada Mary 1873; Constance Ruth 1875; George Ernest 1880 unknown 1881 - all born & died in Dunedin).
No birth record for Maud that I can find in Tas or NZ. Catherine's brother Robert Jordan went with them to Dunedin. 

My grandmother remembers Catherine Cannon (nee Jordan) as an 'old battleaxe'.  As a girl, she would serve their uneaten breakfast porridge cold to them at lunch. She threw a bucket of water over her son-in-law when he was on his way to church.  Maud writes that she had had a hard life, and was bitter. As a little girl, Catherine remembers having to hide under the long white tablecloth in their farm in tasmania with her brother when aborigines or bushrangers came to the farm.

My grandmother remembers a visit of the Dymonds to melbourne.  I wisely interviewed her when I was 14 back in the 1970s. She said the Dymonds had 'a string of boys who swore like troopers'. 'Rough', but 'they turned out well', and 'at least one was a doctor'.  She thought there were nine children, and four died in the war.  Most of her recollections and stories have turned out to be accurate or at least been verified as highly likely by subsequent research.

Maud's book 'Yunnan' was part of her campaign to end child slavery.  She describes children being beaten to death on the street, and everyone walking past ignoring it, because slaves had no rights. She tells the story of a woman, who like other women would tie up their babies in bundles beside the harvest field before they start work. But some of the 'reapers' are simply waiting for the opportunity to kidnap children to sell, and after a while she looks up and realises her child is gone. She sees a man in the distance. She chased him for two days over the mountains until she caught him up by a river and demanded her child back. He 'gave her the child, provided good food and a loft to sleep in, and thanked the fates for dealing kindly with him. Now he would sell the mother as well as the child! But he hadn't reckoned with the woman, for early in the night she stealthily rose, and strapping her child on her back and murmuring a prayer she hurried away in the sheltering darkness...'  I know the christian missionaries are often criticised and lambasted, but as someone working in overseas aid today working on similar themes myself, I deeply admire her pioneering attempts to address social conditions for children.  Her letters don't read as an overly religious person, but as a balanced, bright personality. 

Maud's daughter Roxy features in a few books, as she married a notable missionary, James Outrim Fraser.  I believe he died just prior to WW2 and Roxy and children ended up in a Japanese internment camp and had to see out the war.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 31 October 11 10:36 GMT (UK) »
This family is extremely interesting thank you both for you hard work.
Abstraction my connection is through the DYMOND(Dyment) family my husband's Gt grandfather was Joseph Dyment(It has several variations) It is an unusual name to research and along the way we have linked up with several other researchers so the tree has bushed out with out pruning. Francis John was a third cousin of our Joseph so quite a way out from the trunk of our tree but one of my own interests is the evangelical movement.(as part of my degree I looked at 3 local evangelical ministers who remained Anglican priests while also going on preaching tours drawing large crowds to open air services)  We have found many members of the family became Bible Christians and hence my curiosity about these missionary DYMONDS.
Pastmagic those Bristol connections are a great find. So we can assume Maud died with one of her children.

mcmullin.me.uk