Author Topic: Tracing my Holdsworth family beyond 1800! Can someone please help?  (Read 23006 times)

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
Tracing my Holdsworth family beyond 1800! Can someone please help?
« on: Wednesday 25 May 11 06:50 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me with some information please? I am trying to trace my Holdsworth family back further than 1801.  In more recent times this family line lived in Bradford, but originally came there from Calverley.

I know and am in touch with many of my living relatives from this family line and we have been researching the Holdsworths for about 10 years now and we really haven't got very much further in all that time.

My Gt Gt Gt Gt Grandfather was Charles Holdsworth, a farmer in Idle/Calverley (substantiated by his son's marriage certificate) and was not listed as deceased in 1842 when his son William Holdsworth married.
Charles married Mary Hornby (listed on calverley.info website) and when one of the youngest children Susannah was born on 11 Oct 1837 he is listed as a farmer in Simpson Green Idle Yorkshire. Mary died in 1838 (I have her death cert). Charles appears on the 1841 census as a farmer in Simpson Green and year of birth is listed as 1801 and with him are several children, including William and a Jonas Holdsworth who on the original census document shows up living in a second dwelling on the property.  Maybe a Brother? I can't find a likely death certificate.  My cousin has spent a kings randsom on most Charles Holdsworth's certs from the death listings, but none of these turned out to be even possibilities of being ours.

My Gt Gt Gt Grandfather was Charles son, William Holdsworth b.1819, who married Mary Gill in Otley Yorkshire on 25 Sep 1842.  In 1841 there is a listing for a William Holdsworth and a Jonas Holdsworth in the criminal registers.  Both were found guilty of housebreaking and sentenced to 9 months in jail.  The date of their trial was 20 Oct 1841.

This is the only information that I can find.  Does anyone know if full court transcripts are available anywhere or if there should be at least an address, next of kin, which might give me further information leading to clues about the rest of the family or at least allow me to know for sure that this is my relative, as the name Holdsworth was somewhat common in Yorkshire at that time?

Holdsworth is my maiden name and this family are the one's I know the least about - very frustrating!

Any help will be very gratefully received

Kind regards,
Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my Holdsworth family beyond 1800! Can someone please help?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill

Wow there are alot of Holdsworths lol.
Looked through the Yorkshire BMD which is a free site if you have never looked at it before.  There is a Charles Fred Holdsworth who died in 1874 but
it doesnt of course tell you how old or where in Calverley he lived.
There are lots of Calverley Holdsworths on that site. 
I did find on another site a Charles Holdsworth born in 1801 in Calverley as
you have mentioned.  I looked for a marriage around that time and found
a William Holdsworth marriage to Dinah Grundy on 5th October 1801? Dont
know if this is your Charles's parents. There is also a William born Calverley
3rd July 1802 to a William (Dad) so maybe this was Charles brother.
You didnt mention how old Jonas was on the census but there is a marriage of a Jonas Holdsworth in Calverley to a Hannah Walker.  That took place on 9th February 1806 which could be William snr brother.

We do have a poster who comes on often called Calverley Lad so maybe if he
comes on here he will be able to help you.  Try posting this on the West Yorkshire site as well as thats where all the Yorkies go.
Hope you find your family
regards
Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill

Have you had a look on this site
http://www.harrogatepeopleandplaces.info/
There's 3 pages of Holdsworths mostly newspaper items but including some wills and there are some early wills for Gills.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 09:24 BST (UK) »
Jill thanks for posting for your lost Charles.
Strange - Looking at Hampsthwaite records, found Charles and Mary having the kids baptised.
Occupation for Charles as lab living in Hampsthwaite.
Marriage to Mary at ?
Found a marriage of Charles Holdsworth to a Mary Mawson at Hampsthwaite.
Or is it a coincidence of a Charles marrying a Mary?
Yet Charles and Mary living in Simpson Green Idle Bradford in 1841 census.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill
Sorry if I have lost the plot here, but I thought we were looking for Holdsworths in Calverley/Idle area?  I dont know where Hampsthwaite
nr Knaresborough came in?

I did find two more interesting Holdsworths in Calverley.
John Holdsworth     Farmer married Elizabeth Gaunt on 7th November 1803
in Calverley
William Holdsworth   Farmer married Martha Gaunt on 5th July 1807 both
in Calverley.

I then found John died 5th Feb 1855 aged 75 yrs
Elizabeth widow of John died 20th December 1861 aged 78
Priesthorpe late of Woodhall Hills.

If this is your John then he was born in 12th Dec 1799 his Father was James of Woodhall

As you mention Gaunts as one of your names of interest I think these must
be some of yours?

regards

Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 10:55 BST (UK) »
hi Sandymc,

I am looking at Calverley, because that was where my Charles was born, but he disappears after the 1841 census and I can't find many other around the area, after looking a the entire 1841 census a couple of times. i'm wondering if they moved into the area in the late 1700 - early 1800s. 

Charles birth date was given as 1801 on the 1841 census and was probably rounded down to 40 years old, which means his actual year of birth could have been from 1797-1801.  Jonas birth year in the 1841 census was 1796 and his age given as 45 years. 

I would think that Charles, William or Thomas could have been Charles' Father's name. My Holdsworth line never seems to use the name John

My Gaunt family came from Pudsey in the late 1700s.  My Gt Gt Grandfather Walter Gaunt was married at St Wilfred's Calverley.

Thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated.

regards,
Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this web-site address Dave.  I'll have a good look at it and see what I can find - Cheers, Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 11:19 BST (UK) »
Just done another check Brian.  Charles married Mary Hornby, which is on her daughter Susannah's birth cert.  She was the only child born after the official records began.

Problem is these are so many common names.  There were 3 sons, William Thomas and Charles and daughter, Mary, Ann, Maria, Harriet and Susannah.  These names seem to be passed down the centuries.  It could be that daughter Mary married a John Ibbotson and in the 1861 census there is a Jonas Holdsworth living with them and possibly sister Ann.  The birth years all seem to add up.  No trace of Charles though. I can't find Jonas in the 1851 census either.
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 14:22 BST (UK) »
Jill - The only reason I included Hampsthwaite was the sequence names of the children I found!
(I like to do a global search of the family name, including the siblings names)
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire