Author Topic: Tracing my Holdsworth family beyond 1800! Can someone please help?  (Read 23007 times)

Offline veryoldgal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my Holdsworth family beyond 1800! Can someone please help?
« Reply #45 on: Monday 21 August 17 18:50 BST (UK) »
I found the abovementioned Susanna's birth and baptism if it helps.

Susanna Holdsworth born 11/10/1837 baptised 20/11/1837 Father Charles Holdsworth, Mother Mary address: Simpson Green, Idle - Idle Upper Chapel Independent Church.

I didn't find any baptisms for the other children but I found this burial:

Mary Holdsworth age 34 years of Idle buried 25 May 1838 Idle Holy Trinity Parish Church.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 21 August 17 20:34 BST (UK) »
And providing you don't shout too loud, I usually hide here most days! :)
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 21 August 17 21:02 BST (UK) »
Can I remind people that the relationships on the 1841 census are not set in stone and those given, in good faith, by veryoldgal might or might not be correct
Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I haven't had much time in the last few years to do any intense family research, however I do try from time to time to find any new records. My Holdsworth line has been tricky though.  I have nothing concrete on Charles 1801.  The way the 1841 census was written he could in fact be born as early as 1796. This is perhaps more realistic as William was born in about 1818/19 and The older son Thomas before that. My ancestor is William and according to a birth record I have his Mother was also named Mary. This was not the same Mary as your Charles' Mother, who was Mary Hornby, there's a death listed for a Mary Holdsworth in 1832 aged 35 years, who is likely, mine

Your Charles, the son of Charles 1801, seems to be involved in real estate in later records.  The Holdsworth links to the Bradford area are strong and one of my internet networks told me that records of the newly formed housing cooperative in Bradford in the 1800s had many Holdsworths listed. Which may account for why so many of my family all lived in the streets around Kensington Street in Bradford.

Charles 1801 just suddenly appears in the 1841 census in Idle and then disappears before the next census without trace. I spent one rainy sunday afternoon looking through each line of the 1851 census for idle and surrounds and found no lead.  I've sometimes wondered if he was maybe caught up in the same criminal activities as William and Jonas in 1841 and may have been transported or something, but I haven't been able to find anything helpful. I can't find a death listing for him that is conclusive either.

Always nice to meet a new cousin maybe we can solve this one together. I live in Australia, but go back to England often. next time I go home intend to visit Scholemoor cemetery and see what I can trace back as most of my Holdsworth line were buried there. Please keep in touch. I'm happy to give you a personal email if you like.

Regards,
Jill

Wow. I see this thread was started in 2011 so me replying now in 2017 is a bit of a long shot, but here we go. This is SO interesting. I just started seriously tracing back my lineage as well (use ancestry.ca). This Charles Holdsworth you're speaking of, born 1801 died 1842, was my 5th-great-grandfather. His son, Charles, was my 4th-great-grandfather. So we must be related somehow!! Distant cousins at least!  ;D

Like you, the Holdsworth side of my family is the side that I know the least about. Although I've been finding out so much more than I ever would've known had I not given ancestry a try. As I can see, you were searching this information out 6 years ago, so by any chance have you been successful and figured out who Charles' parents are?? I can't find anything on them either! Nothing on ancestry, no censuses, etc, list anything to do with who his parents might be. I guess this might be the end of my Holdsworth search. But at least I was able to decipher that I have strong roots in Bradford, Yorkshire. My family now lives in Ontario, Canada!  :)
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline holds21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Great to hear from you! :)

Very interesting. Wouldn't surprise me if his fate ended up how you stated. The Holdsworths (at least down my line) seem to be a bit of a troubled bunch at times lol. I would love to email and share what both of us have been able to find. I just started searching last week really, so my findings are minimal, but I'm sure we'd still be able to help each other! I just made an account on here to reply to this thread so I really have no idea how to use the site, like how to send you a private message of my email (don't want to post it publicly) anyway, hope to hear from you soon! :)

Hi there,

I haven't had much time in the last few years to do any intense family research, however I do try from time to time to find any new records. My Holdsworth line has been tricky though.  I have nothing concrete on Charles 1801.  The way the 1841 census was written he could in fact be born as early as 1796. This is perhaps more realistic as William was born in about 1818/19 and The older son Thomas before that. My ancestor is William and according to a birth record I have his Mother was also named Mary. This was not the same Mary as your Charles' Mother, who was Mary Hornby, there's a death listed for a Mary Holdsworth in 1832 aged 35 years, who is likely, mine

Your Charles, the son of Charles 1801, seems to be involved in real estate in later records.  The Holdsworth links to the Bradford area are strong and one of my internet networks told me that records of the newly formed housing cooperative in Bradford in the 1800s had many Holdsworths listed. Which may account for why so many of my family all lived in the streets around Kensington Street in Bradford.

Charles 1801 just suddenly appears in the 1841 census in Idle and then disappears before the next census without trace. I spent one rainy sunday afternoon looking through each line of the 1851 census for idle and surrounds and found no lead.  I've sometimes wondered if he was maybe caught up in the same criminal activities as William and Jonas in 1841 and may have been transported or something, but I haven't been able to find anything helpful. I can't find a death listing for him that is conclusive either.

Always nice to meet a new cousin maybe we can solve this one together. I live in Australia, but go back to England often. next time I go home intend to visit Scholemoor cemetery and see what I can trace back as most of my Holdsworth line were buried there. Please keep in touch. I'm happy to give you a personal email if you like.

Regards,
Jill

Wow. I see this thread was started in 2011 so me replying now in 2017 is a bit of a long shot, but here we go. This is SO interesting. I just started seriously tracing back my lineage as well (use ancestry.ca). This Charles Holdsworth you're speaking of, born 1801 died 1842, was my 5th-great-grandfather. His son, Charles, was my 4th-great-grandfather. So we must be related somehow!! Distant cousins at least!  ;D

Like you, the Holdsworth side of my family is the side that I know the least about. Although I've been finding out so much more than I ever would've known had I not given ancestry a try. As I can see, you were searching this information out 6 years ago, so by any chance have you been successful and figured out who Charles' parents are?? I can't find anything on them either! Nothing on ancestry, no censuses, etc, list anything to do with who his parents might be. I guess this might be the end of my Holdsworth search. But at least I was able to decipher that I have strong roots in Bradford, Yorkshire. My family now lives in Ontario, Canada!  :)

Offline holds21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info!! :)

Hi, I haven't checked my Holdsworths in years.  I know that I don't have a Charles Holdsworth born 1801, but I do have a copy of the Census Record for 1841 Charles Holdsworth living in Idle.
These are the details:  I hope that it helps.

1841 Township of Idle, Address is Simpson Green page 7 ED 35
Charles Holdsworth age 40 occupation farmer
William " (son) age 20 occupation wool comber
Thomas " (son) age 20 occupation wool comber
Mary " (dau) age 18
Ann " (dau) age 16
Maria " (dau) age 10
Charles " (son) age 6
Harriett " (dau) age 5
Susanna "(dau) age 3
Jonas Holdsworth age 45 ocupation cart driver

I am happy to do some further checking if you like, just ask.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Regards,
Jill

I made a note of these many years ago and I did wonder then if William married twice - a Mary and then Phoebe Beck. 
William Holdsworth
mentioned in the record of William Holdsworth and Phebe Beck
Name:   William Holdsworth

Spouse's Name:   Phebe Beck

Event Date:   27 Dec 1802
Event Place:   Baildon,York,England
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M01190-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 98531

Name:   Maria Holdsworth

Christening Date:   23 Apr 1817
Christening Place:   BRADFORD,YORK,ENGLAND
Father's Name:   William Holdsworth

Mother's Name:   Phebe

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C10765-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 0990533-0990535

Name:   Tabitha Holdsworth

Christening Date:   25 Jan 1798
Christening Place:   KIPPING INDEPENDENT-NC,THORNTON BY BRADFORD,YORK,ENGLAND
Birth Date:   09 Oct 1797

Mother's Name:   Mary

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: P00914-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 942.74 B1 B4B V. 4
So not the same William Holdsworth who married Phoebe unless he was a widow by 1802 and Mary had died.

Charles Hutton married Mary Holdsworth daughter of William and Phoebe and when Mary died Charles Hutton then married her sister Maria of whom we have a photo inherited by Hilary Johnson of Melbourne who traced the Holdworths back to William and Phoebe.   Charles and Maria and family migrated to Melbourne circa 1870's and there are quite a few descendants of the daughters now living here.    Before they migrated Charles and Maria lived in one of the Hutton cottages belonging to my Hutton ancestors in Moorside Road, Eccleshill.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
I found the abovementioned Susanna's birth and baptism if it helps.

Susanna Holdsworth born 11/10/1837 baptised 20/11/1837 Father Charles Holdsworth, Mother Mary address: Simpson Green, Idle - Idle Upper Chapel Independent Church.

I didn't find any baptisms for the other children but I found this burial:

Mary Holdsworth age 34 years of Idle buried 25 May 1838 Idle Holy Trinity Parish Church.

Yes sadly Mary passed away when Susannah was about 1 year old. I also have a death certificate for Susannah who sadly died aged 20 years.
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Regards,
Jill

I made a note of these many years ago and I did wonder then if William married twice - a Mary and then Phoebe Beck. 
William Holdsworth
mentioned in the record of William Holdsworth and Phebe Beck
Name:   William Holdsworth

Spouse's Name:   Phebe Beck

Event Date:   27 Dec 1802
Event Place:   Baildon,York,England
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M01190-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 98531

Name:   Maria Holdsworth

Christening Date:   23 Apr 1817
Christening Place:   BRADFORD,YORK,ENGLAND

Mother's Name:   Phebe

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C10765-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 0990533-0990535

Name:   Tabitha Holdsworth

Christening Date:   25 Jan 1798
Christening Place:   KIPPING INDEPENDENT-NC,THORNTON BY BRADFORD,YORK,ENGLAND
Birth Date:   09 Oct 1797

Mother's Name:   Mary

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: P00914-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 942.74 B1 B4B V. 4
So not the same William Holdsworth who married Phoebe unless he was a widow by 1802 and Mary had died.

Charles Hutton married Mary Holdsworth daughter of William and Phoebe and when Mary died Charles Hutton then married her sister Maria of whom we have a photo inherited by Hilary Johnson of Melbourne who traced the Holdworths back to William and Phoebe.   Charles and Maria and family migrated to Melbourne circa 1870's and there are quite a few descendants of the daughters now living here.    Before they migrated Charles and Maria lived in one of the Hutton cottages belonging to my Hutton ancestors in Moorside Road, Eccleshill.

Thanks for posting this amazing photo! I love it.

I don't think that any of these are my William. I have all the certificates for my line and Mary outlived the William in my family tree, by some years. I am descended from their son Charles Henry and his son Thomas Henry. The fact that William was a criminal was not known amongst my family.  My Grandfather James Edward Holdsworth never mentioned it and I think it would have tickled him to know that, he would have shared it with me. 
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox