Author Topic: McAtomony/McIntomney/McIntomny  (Read 6131 times)

Offline msh

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McAtomony/McIntomney/McIntomny
« on: Sunday 29 May 11 18:30 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my husbands grandmother's side of the family.  I have managed to trace the family once they came to Canada.  Luke McIntomney died in 28 Apr 1886 and is buried in Pemborke, Renfrew Co, Ontario and on his stone it has him as born in Armagh Co, Ireland.   His age  77 yrs 1 mo 16 days old at the time of death (making his birth poss Mar 10 1819).  I have found that his parents where John and Matilda Neil.  I know that he came to Canada in early 1830s as he married Sarah McPeak in Nov 1835.  I would really like to find info on his family before he came to Canada.  Any help appreciated.
Stevens/Grace/Robb/Stephen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McAtomony/McIntomney/McIntomny
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 11 18:52 BST (UK) »
To find Irish ancestors for such an early period you need to see if church records exist.
Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline msh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 11 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  I have tried various Irish web pages but nothing thus far.  I have not tried "Introduction to Irish Records"  I think some of my problem is I'm not sure as to where in Armagh Co Luke's family lived.  Thanks for the help, I will check it out.

Offline doylers94

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 09:17 BST (UK) »
might be the cureent McAtamney try searching the freeholder records online at PRONI you might get all the surnames in one townland watch out for 1800 variants Neile Neal and M'Tamney - I will keep an eye out for you as I follow the Neills and McAtamneys :)
Areas Lurgan and neighbouring townlands in the Parishes of Shankill and Seagoe, Toomebridge County Antrim, Queens County New York, Hartford Connecticut, Michigan USA. Names Doyle McElroy Pollock  Harte Neill Hall Mc Cully Wright Boyle Murray Mc Conaghy Mc Cann Brown Patterson Carson Hines Lauder Waters Watson Hendron Tweedy Warnock

Offline msh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 15:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replay.......McAtamney is one of the many names used by this family.  I never thought of Neile for Neal, though I did think of O'Neil and Neal plus never tried M'Tamney, thanks for the hints.

Offline doylers94

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 18:06 BST (UK) »
for 19th century McTamneys try Drumnagoon and Ballynamoney townlands. Neills are bit more complex but there are 3 John Neills in the old Royal Irish Constabulary - if you track these families to Lurgan or nearby I can probably help.
Areas Lurgan and neighbouring townlands in the Parishes of Shankill and Seagoe, Toomebridge County Antrim, Queens County New York, Hartford Connecticut, Michigan USA. Names Doyle McElroy Pollock  Harte Neill Hall Mc Cully Wright Boyle Murray Mc Conaghy Mc Cann Brown Patterson Carson Hines Lauder Waters Watson Hendron Tweedy Warnock

Offline msh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 22:21 BST (UK) »
I did find a will probated in 1839 for John McTamney in Donaghmore but no other info but son lived in Ballynamoney in one of the irish sights but nothing yet.

Offline doylers94

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 00:58 BST (UK) »
I have checked St Peters RC Lurgan records and he is not there. I think you need to check Seagoe RC either at PRONI or a LDS Family Research Centre. The church is St Patricks Aghacommon and the Mc Atamneys in North Armagh are buried there, baptised there and married there.

Offline msh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your help.  I will check Seagoe and St Patricks as you suggested.  ta