Author Topic: Relation to the Dukes of Bedford?  (Read 12350 times)

Offline akoenen2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Relation to the Dukes of Bedford?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 18:10 BST (UK) »
Now here's what I have on my 3x great grandpa William Thomas Pulleyblank.

In 1871, he was recorded as age 10, a scholar at Totnes Union Workhouse, Totnes, Devon, England.  

In 1885 he married Bessie Kitson, daughter of Richard Bounty Kitson. He was listed as 24 years old, so thats confusing as far as the birth year... He would've been listed as 25 if he was born in 1860.

In 1891 they have their children Florence and Winifred.

In 1901 they have Florence, Daisy, William, Minnie (my gr gr grandma), Gladys, and Irene.

In 1911 he was a warehouse man, with his wife Bessie, children Florence Annie, Daisy Ellen, William Kitson, Minnie Jane, Gladys Bessie, Mary Irene, Elise May and Dorothy Frances at 53 North Street in Plymouth.

William Thomas's birth is in the Kingsbridge area in those records.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 18:13 BST (UK) »
He certainly DID join the Royal Marines but that was nothing to do with not liking his step mother as for the next 10 or more years his dad was single and living in Sussex!

How old was Bessie on marriage? He may have knocked a year off to appear nearer in age to her.
Actually what date did they marry- his birthday wasn't till the end of the year,so he'd still be 24 for most of 1885  ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 18:21 BST (UK) »
In 1871 in the Totnes workhouse, it looks like William Jnr had a sister Kate - born 1862 Kingsbridge.
She married in 1889 in Tunbridge, Kent to Walter Nickalls and in 1891 they were living in Ashford, Kent with son Walter (age 1).  Walter snr was a baker.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 18:27 BST (UK) »
I showed this to the England cousin and she said the birth certificate was for Mary Ann Rider's son, William Thomas who took the name Pulleyblank when she married William Pulleyblank Sr. making there be two William Thomas's, one born in 1860 and one in 1861.

William and Mary Ann Rider were married in 1855 before his birth in 1860/61

Marriages June qtr 1855  Totnes reg district ref 5b 333
POLLYBLANK  William       
RIDER  Mary Ann     

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 18:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Alex, but could you please clarify something.  I've been trying to follow this as closely as I can, but I'm getting confused!  Your first post says that WTP Snr worked on the Woburn estate in the late 1850s/early 1860s and that in about 1860 he eloped with Florence.  We have him in the 1861 census in Devon with wife Ann and 3 children.  This would tie in with his marriage to Mary Anne in 1855 in Devon.  All 3 children were born in Devon.  So am I right in thinking that WTP Snr worked on the Duke's land in Devon (not at Woburn Abbey)?

Can't quite see how he could have eloped with a lady called Florence, when at that time he seems to have been 'actively' married to Mary Anne/Ann.

Apologies if I've missed something..but would appreciate clarification.  Thanks - Dazey

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 19:48 BST (UK) »
Dazey,

That's exactly what I've been thinking about whilst cooking( and burning!) my dinner.

Carol

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 20:06 BST (UK) »
The Dukes of Bedford owned ( and probably still do own) great chunks of land in Devon.

There is a statue erected to one of them in Tavistock.

http://www.britaininfocus.org.uk/gallery/landmarks/statues--monuments---memorials/00449-francis-duke-of-bedford-statue-tavistock/
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
Akoenen 2 You are going to have, until you can prove otherwise to treat the family stories as works of fiction.

I know what I am talking about, just google 'Jennings millions' to see the worldwide family stories about some of my supposed ancestors.

What you need is to do the usual family history thing of working backwards and obtaining proof of every event of every generation.

Do you have birth, marriage and death certificates?

You can order them online and they will be posted anywhere in the world.

They cost the equivilent of £9.25 each. ( you will be charged in your own currency)

This is the website you need.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

It is the only way to go.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 June 11 17:16 BST (UK) »
Wise words, jaywit.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex