Author Topic: William Swoish b 1801 in Limpenhoe/Blofield  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Swishswash

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Swoish b 1801 in Limpenhoe/Blofield
« on: Friday 10 June 11 16:52 BST (UK) »
Help!
Trying to trace ancestors- anyone out there linked up to any swoish's in Norkolk?
William Swoish married an Elizabeth Hall and had William (1827), Harriet (1833) Eleanor (1837) James Henry(1840) and George (1844).
James Henry is my immediate ancestor and he moved to london the rest stayed in Norfolk. Its William the Father im mostly interested in.

Thanks, Kate
Swoish, Ward In Yorkshire, Davis around London, Moon in Frant (Sussex) Blackford in Sussex.

Offline ESMAE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Swoish b 1801 in Limpenhoe/Blofield
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 June 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
   29/03/1840    James    SWASH    William    SWASH    Marshman    Elizabeth

So according to parish reg. i would say yes .

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 June 11 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

How sure are you that your William Swash married Elizabeth Hall?

There are these baptisms in the parish of Limpenhoe:

19th August 1832

Harriet Swash born June (looks like 15th) (father William recorded as a Labourer)

16th Sept 1832

Elizabeth Swash aged 8 born 10th March
William Newson Swash aged 5 born 17th March
Maria Swash aged 3 born 18th January
(father William recorded as a Labourer)

8th June 1834

Mary Anne Swash born 23rd April (father William recorded as a Labourer)
(buried Limpenhoe 24/5/1840 aged 6)

13th Feb 1837

Ellen Swash (father William recorded as a Marshman)
(Eleanor Swash aged 28, buried Limpenhoe Mar 16th 1865 from Gt Yarmouth)

29th March 1840

James Swash (father William recorded as a Marshman)

27th Oct 1844

George Robert Swash (father William recorded as a Labourer)
(or George & Robert Swash)

ALL WITH PARENTS ELIZABETH AND WILLIAM

I ask this question because the William Swash baptised above has the middle name Newson and there is a marriage (see below) for a William Swash and Elizabeth Newson  in Wickhampton Norfolk in July 1823
Elizabeth Hall and William Swash were not married until May 1825 and if the above baptisms relate to your family then Elizabeth aged 8 in 1832 (when baptised) would have been born in 1824

Marriage:
Both of this parish: Wickhampton
Groom: William Swash (Bat)
Bride: Elizabeth Newson (Spin)
Date: 23/7/1823
Witnesses: James Newson and Maria Newson

There are these burials in Limpenhoe:

William Swoish aged 46
Burial 10/9/1846

Elizabeth Swoish aged 67 (from Great Yarmouth)
Burial 19th May 1867

Also these baptisms in Limpenhoe:

7th February 1847
Rebecca illegitimate daughter of Joseph Webster & Elizabeth Swash

27th May 1849
William Smith (Smith being a middle name) Base Born son of George Smith (Labourer)  & Elizabeth Swoish (Servant)

I did wonder if these children were perhaps Elizabeth Swoish's children, born to her after her husband died but William (William Smith Swoish) Swoish is recorded in the 1881 census as a cousin to Jas Thos Etheridge Swoish (c1852) and I believe he was the son of Harriot (Harriet Swash above ) Swash so I think that William Smith Swoish & Rebecca Swash were Harriet's sister Elizabeth's children.

(I believe this to be the marriage of Elizabeth Swoish c1824 above) 

Elizabeth Swoish (Servant) married Daniel Spooner (Labourer) in Limpenhoe on 4/3/1851 her father was recorded as William Swoish  (Marshman, not living)
Daniel's father was recorded as Daniel Spooner (Labourer)

(and this one, Harriet Swash c1832 above)

Harriet Swosh (aged 22) married Robert Etheridge (aged 23, Labourer) in Limpenhoe on 22/6/1853 again  father William Swosh was recorded as a Marshman and Robert's father was recorded as Joseph Etheridge (Labourer)

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 June 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

My ancestors moved to Limpenhoe about 1870.   If I fall over any Swashs in my research I'll let you know. 

My grandfather Jeuel was born Limpenhoe 1875.  He and 6 of his 7 brothers moved to London.  They all joined the Met or City of London police but Jeuel was too small and ran a picture framer's.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline Swishswash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 June 11 19:28 BST (UK) »
Just want to thank you for the research you did on my behalf- havent started processing it yet but as soon as i do i shall keep you informed!
Again a huge thank you X
Swoish, Ward In Yorkshire, Davis around London, Moon in Frant (Sussex) Blackford in Sussex.

Offline Swishswash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
Candrjm,

You/ve been invaluable- i went back through all my details i have and yes Elizabeth Newson is correct i think.
And with all the details you've managed to locate i looked at the census records with fresh eyes. For example the Rebecca that was born illigitamately to Elizabeth Swash and Joseph Webster is on the cenus records in 1851 as Elizabths new husbands daughter- i now know he's the step father.
 Did you look at the parish records? I hope you didnt go out of your way. Do you happen to know anything about William Swash (b1801) ive been trying to track his birth deatils down but with no luck.

Anyway thanks again,
Kate

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

I did have a quick look to see if I could see William Swoish c1800 but didn't come up with anything. (perhaps you might have more luck).

There are lots of parish registers for Norfolk available to search online. If you go to the top of the Norfolk board and click onto:

"Norfolk Resources & Offers"

scroll down to:

"Norfolk parish registers online" ( the 10th subject down)

click onto the link, then scroll down to:

"United Kingdom"
"England Norfolk parish registers 1538-1900"

this will open a page where you will be able to select the parish of interest to you.

William was recorded on the marriage register as being of the parish of Wickhampton but he might have moved there to work and been born somewhere else. (Perhaps it might be worth looking at the surrounding parishes of Wickhampton to see if you can find him.)

It looks like Elizabeth Newson was born 22/7/1799 and baptised 4/8/1799 in Wickhampton, daughter of  William Newson and Mary (nee Minister) (other children born to this couple also in this parish register)

There is a marriage for a William Newson and Mary Minister in Freethorpe in 1791 and a baptism for a Mary Minister in 1769 in Freethorpe (ilegitimate daughter of  Susannah Minister), which look to be a good bet.
 (If you look at the marriage for William & Mary you will see that he came from Wickhampton, also one of the witnesses was a Susannah Feerman, this looks like it could be Mary's mother as there is a marriage for a Susannah Minister to a John Feerman in Freethorpe in 1773)

Anyway, Happy Hunting!

Offline Arniec

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 October 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi  I am descendant of Harriet Swoish through her son James.  He left Norfolk about 1880 and moved to the Lambeth area of London where he was a coachman.   I believe he and his wife Elizabeth had a family but only know of their son Charles Sidney who was my grandfather.  Would love to find out about any siblings  He and his family lived in Camberwell until the 1950's.   He had four daughters and a son who died aged 4 months, becoming the last of the line.

In my research I did come across a William Swoish who was served in the First World War in the 9th Bn Norfolk Regiment as Sergeant but was killed on  the 15th April 1918.   He is buried in the Tyne Cot cemetery.   I have been unable to find out whether he is anything to do with our line of the family but would be interested if anyone has any information.   

Pat

Offline Swishswash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 October 15 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat!
Ok so ive been researching the swoish family for a long time. ( im a swoish) im decended from Henry John swoish who is Charles Sidneys brother. Ive traced there father and mother as James Henry and Elizabeth Palmer and James Henrys parents as William and Elizabeth Newson.
James and Elizabth had 9 children that i could trace.
James William (1866-1941)who married Alice Bacon and only had 1 daughter. He worked on ships.
George Robert (1868-1939) who on 1911 census was a stoker, he married Annie Arnold and had 3 children 1 being a son George ( he married and had sons)
Elizabeth Elmor who died aged 1
Henry John who married and had 11 children one being my great grandad Walter stanley.
Elizabeth Eleanor jane who married into the Little family.
Alice maude mary who died as a baby.
Charles Sidney
Elsie louise died as a baby.
Annie laura who ive never been able to trace.
I have a tree on Ancestory your welcome to look at it!
Kate :)