Author Topic: Sarah Holmes/Clark born 1877 NSW Australia  (Read 11927 times)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Sarah Holmes/Clark born 1877 NSW Australia
« on: Monday 13 June 11 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I can't find my GG Auntie Sarah who was born at Tumut in New South Wales in 1877. An elderly relative told me that her mother told her that Sarah had left for New Zealand in the very early 1900's.

Sarah's mothers name was Jane Elizabeth Wood, whose first husband was William Holmes, it is likely that Sarah used the name Holmes as her father was actually a Chinese Doctor by the name of Joseph Lim Sue. Sarah's older brother used the name Holmes rather than Lim Sue.

It is also possible that Sarah used the name Clarke as her mother seems to have married a Harry Clarke after the Chinese husband disappeared between 1877-83.

I am not having any luck searching your records at the moment, can anyone come up with anything?

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Holmes/Clark born 1877 NSW Australia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi mum mum ...

Have you looked at NZ BDM ? https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search/

I don't have a marriage CD but several others here have, may have to wait until our tomorrow, not sure how much extra info they give i.e. parents names

There are several Sarah Holmes/ Sarah Clark  to choose from in the time frame for marriages 1900 - 1931 but nothing showing under Lim Sue.

:) mare

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 11 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
I had a search under Sarah Holmes and then checked for the deaths of those married names, unfortunately your deaths on line don't give the parents names as our do.
Do you have any incoming passenger lists, she may even have travelled with her younger brother Henry, born Holmes, again may have used Clarke.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 June 11 12:06 BST (UK) »
There is quite a good selection of useful links in the NZ Resource section

Here's the shipping link to trawl though http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,493441.0.html

Online franh1946

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 June 11 12:09 BST (UK) »
Sarah's birth was registered under the name Sarah Sue, 26th December 1876, in Gundagai, father Dim Sue, Chinese Doctor, mother Jane Elizabeth Woodward, late Holmes born Singapore.
Leadbetter North Meols
Tyrrell  and Shettle Hampshire
Cope Wolstanton
Rice New York and Sydney
Pidgeon County Wexford
Smail and Cochran Berwickshire
Worling and Harrop Cambridgeshire
Happ Eltville
Harrop and Shettle Suffolk

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 June 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's her birth, couple of mistakes on it though, given that the informant was Joseph Lim Sue, the Doctor, Jane Elizabeths maiden name was Wood and she was born in Swan River Western Australia.

Saarh, her older brother Joseph and younger brother Henry are all listed on Jane's death certificate as being the children of Harry Clarke. Jane died under the name Clarke, I can find no marriage or a death for Hrry Clarke. As I said Sarah's brother Joseph used the name Holmes, he served in WW1 under the name Joeph Holmes, said his fathers name was William Holmes even though William died too long before Josephs birth to be his father. There was also a birth for Julius Holmes to Elizabeth [Jane] in 1883, father unknown, I believe this is the son known as Henry. Complicated, they are driving me nuts.
I have all the birth certificates for these children, its what happened to Sarah and Henry that is the mystery.

mum  mum

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 June 11 13:19 BST (UK) »
Julius is a little less common to hunt for than Henry! and there aren't as many Holmes as there are Clark/Clarke of course. Are you keeping your eyes open for Henry in NZ as well ... he may have come too if his sister was here. NZ BDM doesn't give a wildcard search option so you have to look under each possible spelling, unfortunately when you can only narrow down the options with the names of parents which aren't shown it does make it impossible or expensive!

Papers Past sometimes throw up some snippets as well, a marriage or a death notice may name another family member ...http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 June 11 13:39 BST (UK) »
Just had a quick look around on Papers Past, a snippet from early 1900

... ref Lyttleton Star Issue 6709 2 Feb 1900 Pg 3

Feb 2 - Mokoia SS   2145 tons   from Melbourne, Arrived Lyttleton

Passengers include a Miss Holmes and a Mr Holmes .... and also and Mr and Mrs Clark

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 June 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
On coming back with that one I've just noticed the thread is in the New Zealand Resources and Offers Section of the New Zealand Board ... on the main New Zealand Board it will probably attract more help, so I'll alert mod to move it for you  :) mare