Author Topic: McClure of Findrum and Killynure  (Read 5432 times)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McClure of Findrum and Killynure
« on: Tuesday 14 June 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Troops,
looking for any connection to this family group.

Richard McClure.b.?.d.?.m.?. Original Lessee of Findrum                                                   
Francis McCLURE b.1675?, d.?, m.?                        

David McCLURE Senior of Ballybofey & Findrum, b1711 Findrum, d.21.10.1784, m.1736 Convoy to Jane GRAHAM bc.1714 Convoy

David McCLURE Junior of Cavan bc.1730, m.Elizabath THOMPSON

William McCLURE Junior b.1768, m?   

David McCLURE bc1820 Killynure, County Donegal, d.10.4.1898 Ireland, m.1846 Margaret TEMPLE b.1822/5, d.15.9.1914 NorthernIreland[UC1912]

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: McClure of Findrum and Killynure
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 June 15 10:27 BST (UK) »
To further the Findrum Estate story. In 1677, Richard McClure leased the Findrum Estate from Charles Hamilton of Cavan, Donoghmore. Hamilton inherited the Findrum Estate from Sir John Wilson.
Searching the usual haunts reveals very little. Does anyone have any clues?

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Empem24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 October 15 06:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I can't help you with any of the information I have, but I think I might link into this family somehow.  As far as I know my Great Grandfather was David McClure, b. 1840 in Donegal.  He moved to Australia in about 1863.  His parents were William McClure and Sarah McIlwaine I have no dates for them.  William McClure's father was David McClure and he married a Mary.

The reason why I think I might link in is David (b.1840) had a son, James Hamilton McClure.  I saw there was a link with the Hamilton's in your post.  Do you have any more information?

Thanks!

Emily

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Emily,
I too am very interested in your line with the Hamilton mentioned. McClure and Hamilton are very common names in some parts of Donegal. I have David, William and Samuel as forenames but my dates do not match yours and I don't have a McIlwaine. This does not mean that we cannot find a connection as i have access to a large number of McClure information. Lets get much information that maybe shed some light.
Any towns, townlands or region names in Donegal? ie - Convoy, Cloghroe, Findrum, Broadpath.
What parts of Australia did they populate? ie Landed at Melbourne, moved to Kilmore with family connections then onto Kaarimba to set up home.
Other family last names or family legend passed down that may provide a clue.

Cheers
Jack Gee

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 October 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I can't help you with any of the information I have, but I think I might link into this family somehow.  As far as I know my Great Grandfather was David McClure, b. 1840 in Donegal.  He moved to Australia in about 1863.  His parents were William McClure and Sarah McIlwaine I have no dates for them.  William McClure's father was David McClure and he married a Mary.

The reason why I think I might link in is David (b.1840) had a son, James Hamilton McClure.  I saw there was a link with the Hamilton's in your post.  Do you have any more information?

Thanks!

Emily

Emily
I think your Great Grandfather's baptism is transcribed on a paid site
There is a baptism on 05 Mar 1838 in Fanad Presbyterian Parish, Co. Donegal
with the parents William McCLURE & Sarah McILWAINE

I don't see a baptism for his sister ELIZABETH
but there are for
a sister Mary Anne on 11 Jul 1831
another sister Isabella on Jan 26 1833 (although no mother is shown same address)
a second David on Mar 08 1836 (although no mother is shown same address) - who probably died
and a brother William on 06 Mar 1840
ALL in Fanad Presbyterian Parish, Co. Donegal

William McCLURE & Sarah McILWAINE married on Mar 25 1830
in Fanad Presbyterian Parish, Co. Donegal
His parents were David & Mary (no maiden name given)
Hers were James and Nancy (again no maiden name given)
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 October 15 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Emily,
 I don't have any direct connections for you on the Fanad/Fannet McClures [Hamilton connection] but I have a few clues that may help.
Research the following -
Descendants of David Dill by Sharon Oddie Brown.
The Dills of Fanad by Sam Fleming.

These will document a connection of the Dill family and the Fanad McClures and the death of a Dr. Hamilton is mentioned In Flemings piece.

Some McClure researchers indicate a connection to the McClures  of Fanad [East Donegal McClures] and the Convoy McClures [ anumber of different families] and the McClures of Virginia.

This might add to your conundrum.

What are your David McClures children and their places associated with Australia?
I may have a few more clues from this information.

Cheers
Jack Gee

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 March 23 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Additional note - The above mentioned William McClure/McILwaine marriage is part of the Ballynashannagh McClure line - No relation to the above mentioned Findrum/Cloghroe/Convoy McClures.

Happy to chat about either family line

cheers
Jack Gee

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 March 23 07:53 GMT (UK) »

Jack,
Just adding a link to one of your old posts-

David McCLURE bc1820 Killynure, County Donegal, d.10.4.1898 Ireland, m.1846 Margaret TEMPLE b.1822/5, d.15.9.1914 NorthernIreland[UC1912]

Margaret McClure died at Killynure in Stranorlar S.R.D. County Donegal. The informant was a Margaret Rooney of Killynure.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1914/05295/4472348.pdf

1911 census for Margaret McClure
House 8 in Killynure or Wilson's Fort (Convoy, Donegal).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Convoy/Killynure_or_Wilson_s_Fort/508947/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks KG.
The high standard of your sleuthing skills on show.

Cheers
Jack.